PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding Vermont?

dizzyT
01-21-2006, 22:44
Is anybody thinking of bypassing Vermont as a protest of the Judge Cashman sentencing? This is just a question.......not a rallying cry.

Lone Wolf
01-21-2006, 22:46
Of course not. How dumb.

neo
01-21-2006, 22:46
i love vermont:cool: neo

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9047&c=member&imageuser=3462

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9037&catid=member&imageuser=3462

Footslogger
01-21-2006, 22:47
Sounds like a Lose - Lose proposition to me.

'Slogger

DavidNH
01-21-2006, 22:49
frankly that is the dumbest thing I have heard in a while. Vermont is a Gorgeous state and the AT there goes through some real nice country.
Miss out on all that because of one guy?

How about avoiding Maine because G. Bush senior has a house there? equally dumb!

David

MOWGLI
01-21-2006, 22:52
Why not. I boycott Texas for the way their judges apply the law.

neo
01-21-2006, 22:53
Why not. I boycott Texas for the way their judges apply the law.

what is wrong with texas law jeffery:cool: neo

MOWGLI
01-21-2006, 22:58
Nothing. I think executing the mentally retarded is just fine.

dizzyT
01-21-2006, 22:59
As I said it was just a question.....wasn't planning on it myself but I had heard others were

MOWGLI
01-21-2006, 23:03
As I said it was just a question.....wasn't planning on it myself but I had heard others were

Is one of those "others" named after a flavor of soda pop by any chance? :D

Heater
01-21-2006, 23:33

So I guess Penry raped and killed your daughter too? Because he had "never had a women and wanted to know what is was like" but "didn't want her to squeal" on him...

I guess I'd feel the same way as you! :cool:

weary
01-21-2006, 23:56
Absolutely. Plus it's a lot easier and kinder. The victim will never know what hit him.

Weary

RITBlake
01-22-2006, 00:05
Is anybody thinking of bypassing Vermont as a protest of the Judge Cashman sentencing? This is just a question.......not a rallying cry.

I thought about bypassing the entire 1400 miles of trail in the South because of the grave injustices done during the Civil War. But I got over it and I met some really cool southerns!

smokymtnsteve
01-22-2006, 00:10
cattlikker priest do it all the time

The Desperado
01-22-2006, 00:16
Yeh, what L. Wolf said !

digger51
01-22-2006, 00:29
Please nobody tell Bill Oreilly, but I won't be boycotting any state.

KYDave
01-22-2006, 00:36
I'll keep this pithy, I'm telling Bill ...:)

Singe03
01-22-2006, 01:16
Heh, I can only hold out debating politics here for so long...

Still resisting... barely...

I thought about bypassing the entire 1400 miles of trail in the South because of the grave injustices done during the Civil War. But I got over it and I met some really cool southerns!

Oddly, I referred to my stepping over the Mason Dixon line (northbound) as crossing in to enemy territory. I will say, that if you want to talk atrocities and grave injustices, read up on Sherman.

smokymtnsteve
01-22-2006, 01:19
u wanna read up on atrocities and injustice

read US history and the treatment of native amerikans

RITBlake
01-22-2006, 01:20
Oddly, I referred to my stepping over the Mason Dixon line (northbound) as crossing in to enemy territory.

because.....you're still fighting in the civil war? it ended a while ago, we've been in a few other wars since then though

RITBlake
01-22-2006, 01:21
its amazing how quickly a sarcastic joke goes turns to ridiculous banter on WB

weary
01-22-2006, 01:40
....Oddly, I referred to my stepping over the Mason Dixon line (northbound) as crossing in to enemy territory. I will say, that if you want to talk atrocities and grave injustices, read up on Sherman.
Are you suggesting that an American hero, who saved the lives of many northern boys by taking the war to the rebels ("if we don't fight them in the south, we'll have to fight them in the north") was a secret terrorist?

Singe03
01-22-2006, 02:33
Are you suggesting that an American hero, who saved the lives of many northern boys by taking the war to the rebels ("if we don't fight them in the south, we'll have to fight them in the north") was a secret terrorist?

Do we want to go down this road on a friendly hiking forum? Arguing a southern point of view is likely to get one branded as racist or pro-slavery, neither of which is the case with me. I do believe however that "terrorist" is a good way to brand this particular northern general.

I had a short post here, upon further reflection however, it has no business on this particular forum and out of respect to the class of 2006, I am going to delete it. I love debating history as long as things stay friendly, if you would like to continue in a more appropriate forum, it could make a lively discussion.

wyclif
01-22-2006, 09:18
its amazing how quickly a sarcastic joke goes turns to ridiculous banter on WB

I'm quickly learning that no matter how silly, stupid, or just plain funny a joke is on WB, somebody will trigger-finger it, reading it with the utmost seriousness because they are nuance-immune. :rolleyes:

justusryans
01-22-2006, 09:31
I'm not planning on boycotting Vermont. I live down south and love it. Ya'll play nice. :D

hopefulhiker
01-22-2006, 10:36
Vermont,NH, and Maine are probably the prettiest states of the AT

general
01-22-2006, 10:41
because.....you're still fighting in the civil war? it ended a while ago, we've been in a few other wars since then though

you didn't want to come south. said so yourself.

guess what boys and girls, we had a social upheaval here in the south back in the sixties called the Civil Rights Movement. that was about 40 years ago, if your counting. lesson learned. times have changed. the sterotypical south doesn't exist any more. it's a fine place to live, and we ain't racist.

neo
01-22-2006, 11:00
Oddly, I referred to my stepping over the Mason Dixon line (northbound) as crossing in to enemy territory. I will say, that if you want to talk atrocities and grave injustices, read up on Sherman.

i felt the same way when i crossed the mason dixon line,a hiker i met in pennesylvania sais to me "your in the north now boy"but i have met alot of wonderful people up north,the town of palmerton pa is a very hiker friendly town,my favorite place to stay up north is rob birds house the cage in dalton,my wife is a yankee from newyork,i love yankee women,yankees are cool today,there are good and bad were ever ya go:cool: neo

weary
01-22-2006, 11:12
Vermont,NH, and Maine are probably the prettiest states of the AT
Scratch the "probably" and I'll agree. Or one could just say "Maine is ...."

Blue Jay
01-22-2006, 11:39

This thread belongs in the humor section. That would be difficult even if you hitch hiked.:banana

DavidNH
01-22-2006, 13:51

Well..I was going to do a real dig at Southerners here... but thought better of it as I don't want to start some provincial tussel.

why would anyone down there consider north of the mason dixon line as enemy territory? what could you folks possibly hate about northerners?

DavidNH

wyclif
01-22-2006, 13:57
BTW, in all seriousness, thru-hiking the AT and skipping Vermont would be unconscionable. A complete missed opportunity in my book.

Pacific Tortuga
01-22-2006, 14:59

I heard the war isn't over its just the longest cease fire on record. :-?

RITBlake
01-22-2006, 15:13
you didn't want to come south. said so yourself.

CLEARLY, I was joking. Why would anyone really consider skipping 1300 miles of the trail, its not a section, its more then half.

RITBlake
01-22-2006, 15:17
AND anyway, the point I was trying to make was.... Vermont is one of the many wonderful sections of the AT. The idea of skipping an entire state was ridiculous. I responded with a ridiculous answer about skipping the south. Try not to take everything so seriously boys.

Panzer1
01-22-2006, 15:24
While many people were upset with the Judge Cashman sentencing, but a thru hike is not the best time in your life to express objection to unjustices like this one.

If you want to do something before your hike begins, try sending a letter to the judge or the govenor or Bill O'Riley. That would accomplish more that bypassing Vermont.

When you start on your hike it is best not to think about these things. Just focus on you hike and enjoy yourself. This is supposed to be "your time".

Panzer

dizzyT
01-22-2006, 19:48
I am not planning on bypassing Vermont or protesting in any way for that matter. It's not my state.

It has become apparent however that some people haven't come to grips with all of the factors that led to the start of the civil war.

BTW.....I believe almost everyone today finds slavery atrocious. Lets remember that it existed on both sides of the line.

wacocelt
01-22-2006, 20:15
Ridiculous, not just skipping Vermont but the majority of the posts following, including this one.

Nearly Normal
01-22-2006, 22:12
what could you folks possibly hate about northerners?"
I'm not sure hate would be the word. Hard to understand might be a better.

The Sea Islands of SC have been changed 180 degrees and mostly by people moving or retiring to the area. These people will tell you how they escaped from the rat race and the expensive life style of the north, then move into gated communities and vote in all the services that they "miss".
Our taxes have rocketed in the last 20 years and many of the native inhabitants have been forced out. They have changed the area from where they wanted to move into where they left from.

If your talking about heritage then you might see why Southerners feel frustrated when; comedy usually consist along the lines of incest, road kill, and poor examples of speech.
Not everyone has a still, a Gereral Lee hot rod, relatives chained in the basement, eats greens 3 times a day or tote's a pistol

If you're talking about the War between the States then perhaps an American history or Virginia State history class would enlighten you. Try reading resources not sanctioned for grade school.

"Well..I was going to do a real dig at Southerners here..."

Have at it.
Perhaps you could tell us about those "evil" Southern "Farmers" that had so much to do with founding this country.

Pete

Nean
01-22-2006, 22:34
Well, maybe thats why Trail Trooper skipped Vermont! Who the heck is this Cashman and what did he do? North vs South?, thats old school! East vs West....that's what the all hip bigots debate!!:D

UCONNMike
01-22-2006, 22:36

Come on bra....there isnt 1400 miels of trail south of the Mason Dixen Line, bra...there is only liek barely a 1000 miles, bra...get with it bra, and do your research before you post in this forum.

Long live the other red, white and blue flag! Go Dixie!

hahah, honestly this entire thread is the biggest joke ever, i can't belive some one would consider skipping a state for some politcal reason. One of the great things about the trail is you have an opportunity to escape all the politcal hoopla.

and another thing, let's lighten up around here, and most importantly think real quick and re-read the posts that both Blake and myself make, esp in non gear/or AT specific topics, cause most of the time we are just making fun of how rediculous some of the wb.net members really are

peace and do remember, when out on your bikes at night, do wear white

Sly
01-22-2006, 22:40
Being born and bred in the North, I can't recall anyone ever referring to a Southerner as a "Confederate or Rebel", but living down South I hear the "Yankee" BS constantly.

Time to give it up folks, the War is over, it's the United States and we're all Americans.

Nean
01-22-2006, 22:53
Maybe thats 'cause yoiu aint one Sly.:) I've heard it, but it was good natured....I think! :confused: BTW. them dern NYYankees might have something to do with it;) :D

Heater
01-22-2006, 22:53
Well..I was going to do a real dig at Southerners here... but thought better of it as I don't want to start some provincial tussel.

why would anyone down there consider north of the mason dixon line as enemy territory? what could you folks possibly hate about northerners?

DavidNH

Their inclination to constantly make "digs" at Southerners and paint them with a broad brush.

Singe03
01-22-2006, 23:34
Wow, this thread has changed tracks pretty thoroughly.

Being born and bred in the North, I can't recall anyone ever referring to a Southerner as a "Confederate or Rebel", but living down South I hear the "Yankee" BS constantly.

You'll hear hillbilly or redneck much more often. jokes about Deliverance, red state jokes (the bible belt does not encompass the entire south), jokes about how a southern president pronounces words, (when you do not get the jokes because everybody you know, including your college professors, pronounces them the same way).

That aside, crossing in to enemy territory was intended to carry a degree of humor since I was leapfrogging and hiking mostlyh with people from MA, VT, CT and NY who were all eager to get to their "home" states.

There was absolutely northing wrong with northern hospitality, or northern people, trail people were trail people for the most part.

betic4lyf
01-22-2006, 23:37
i have probably heard more yankee bashing here in boston than in any southern town. i doubt many southerners whear shirts that say "yankees suck" around. of course they are a diffrent kind of yankees. and the trail might have to go around vermont if they make border crossing difficult once they secede

dperry
01-23-2006, 00:21
Who the heck is this Cashman and what did he do?

He sentenced a man who raped a girl multiple times between her 7th and 10th years of age 60 days in jail. In fairness, it should be pointed out that the offender must also successfully complete therapy or face a life sentence. Still, :mad: .

Ridge
01-23-2006, 00:43
If you take the AT, NOBO, out of Mount Greylock State Rsv in Mass. take a right on Mass hwy 2, travel about 45 miles east , cross I-91 then hang left on Mass hwy 63/10 travel north to NH and then further north till you once again hit the AT, I believe you'll miss Vermont.

Nean
01-23-2006, 00:57
JHC, wish I hadn't asked! There MUST be more to this. Does the "therapy" include castration?

Heater
01-23-2006, 01:15
JHC, wish I hadn't asked! There MUST be more to this. Does the "therapy" include castration?

No. The judge rationalized that he could not get the proper treatment he needed in jail. I disagree. I think his fellow inmates would give him the exact treatment he deserves.

If one really wanteds to "boycott" Vermont I would say to carry in as much food as you could and stay on the trail. Write the governor to notify him of your intent.

The letter would probably do more than the boycott.

Sly
01-23-2006, 01:21
People are going to boycott and/or skip VT because of call by a local judge? Yeah, OK!

May as well skip Mass. too if you're opposed to same sex marriage. Then what are you going to do? Sky blaze? LOL...

Sly
01-23-2006, 01:22
deleted double post...

Heater
01-23-2006, 01:24
People are going to boycott and/or skip VT because of call by a local judge? Yeah, OK!

May as well skip Mass. too if you're opposed to same sex marriage. Then what are you going to do? Sky blaze? LOL...

It is kind of silly. A boycott would only hurt the people and not the judge.
But, That's what the O'Reilly followers are doing.

MOWGLI
01-23-2006, 01:29
But, That's what the O'Reilly followers are doing.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Ridge
01-23-2006, 01:29

This would involve hiking north thru NY into Canada take a right hit the International AT go South to the AT in Maine, take right to Katahdin. Or, out of Canada take a right on NH Hwy 3 go South hit the AT then proceed north to Katahdin. Either way, you will bypass both Vermont and Mass. That will teach'em.

smokymtnsteve
01-23-2006, 01:34

best thing to do if ur opposed to Same sex marriage ,,,

is to not marry someone of the same sex...:rolleyes:

UCONNMike
01-23-2006, 02:01

HAHAHA, this responce just made it into my Top Ten Responces to a Supid Thread...that was true brillance Sly.

Oh and another thing, I'm sure the judge and other various government officals are really gonna feel the heat from all you AT hikers who won't walk thru their state....seeing as they won't ever know you cared b/c you didnt bother to pop in and let them know....hmmmmm, i guess that makes sense huh, prob should show our discontent by hiking thru VT and hitching to the captial and let them know, or amybe email them or do somethign other than avoid the state you resent and have them never know about it...

UGH! come on, its just lazy to practice this theory of action through no actual action

Grampie
01-23-2006, 11:15

I can't believe you would ask such a question, if you are doing a thru. You can't be serious. You mean to say you would walk all the way from Springer and skip Vermont because some judge did something you doidn't agree with.
Looks like you would be the kind that would skip a section because the mountains were too high.
Just hike your own hike and keep your politics to yourself and you will enjoy it more. Folks who are out doing a thru kind of leave that stuff home.
Happy trails. Grampie-N->2001:rolleyes:

Fiddler
01-23-2006, 11:41
I have two comments on this.

First, IMO, if you did avoid going thru any state the trail goes thru for whatever reason how could you call it a thru-hike? I see that as one long and one short section, definitely not a thru.

Second, (as much a question as a comment, I know nothing of the proceedure for selecting judges in Vermont) in some states, mine is one, the voters on election day have the ability to send a judge to the unemployment office if they are not satisfied with past performance.

general
01-23-2006, 12:34
if it really upsets you, road walk the entire state, through a multitude of towns, with a flag that says "Vermont Sucks". then when the locals ask you what in the hell you're doing, you can inform them of the injustice that has taken place, which has motivated you make a statement against the atrocities the state of vermont (i mean one local judge) has comitted.

MOWGLI
01-23-2006, 12:40
if it really upsets you, road walk the entire state, through a multitude of towns, with a flag that says "Vermont Sucks". then when the locals ask you what in the hell you're doing, you can inform them of the injustice that has taken place, which has motivated you make a statement against the atrocities the state of vermont (i mean one local judge) has comitted.

Great idea, but if you really want to attract some attention, you should do it carrying Bill O'Reilly in your pack. Ask Bill to bring along a loufa or two and some of those fruity soaps. That'll clean up the state for sure. :banana

general
01-23-2006, 12:57
Great idea, but if you really want to attract some attention, you should do it carrying Bill O'Reilly in your pack. Ask Bill to bring along a loufa or two and some of those fruity soaps. That'll clean up the state for sure. :banana

you'd have to pull him in a wagon or something. i bet he's lazy. have to save energy for the scrubbin'

TN_Hiker
01-23-2006, 13:05
There are not any Rednecks in the South......Just Appalachian Americans

dizzyT
01-23-2006, 16:46
I think I said this before......I am not protesting and had no plans to protest. Just interesting in knowing if anyone else is. I mean the verdict is ridiculous but there is plenty to get mad about in my own state......heck in my own town.

Ridge
01-23-2006, 17:15
This thread is so stupid. That said, a move to have a "Polictically Correct AT Terminus" maybe at Housatonic SP in Conn. would really show them!

dizzyT
01-23-2006, 17:23
You know it must be stupid when someone from Georgia calls it stupid.

As I said in the first post......Just a question. I had some where planning to do so. It was not a rallying cry for other to do the same. Geez.

dizzyT
01-23-2006, 19:02
correction to last post

I had heard some were planning to do so.

Jack Tarlin
01-23-2006, 19:30
Geez, this is a crazy thread!

The only person I've been talking about boycotting Vermont is Bill O'Reilly, which is a hoot.......some time back, the guy had to pay off one several million bucks to a subordinate to cover his disgusting, and well-documented sexual harrassment, and now he's berating others for mis-conduct in their private lives?? Hmmmm, spin THAT, Bill.

That's almost as ridiculous as hearing Ted Kennedy criticize Judge Alito for permitting the strip-searching of young women and not do doing anything to prevent it. Talk about do as I say, not as I do!

In both cases, we're talking about ridiculous people saying ridiculous things.

Don't get me wrong: I don't agree with the judge. The perp in question should've been taken out and publicly strung up, i.e. to hell with worries about rehabilitating him, but honestly, anyone that skips Vermont because of this......well, in all honesty, this is someone who Vermont can happily get by without.

mweinstone
01-25-2006, 00:26
if vermont was on fire,under the sea, in outer space,frozen ,covered in infectious waste,on another planit,ruled by natzis,the home of slavery,and highly radioactive...........i might concider a boycott.but after concidering.....id hike the sh**out of it every day till im a cold ,dry,rotten,maggot filled corpse.

Ridge
01-25-2006, 08:03
..... a cold ,dry,rotten,maggot filled corpse.

This is very similar to what my wife calls me after a weekender. she calls me a "walking, cold, wet, rotten, maggot filled, stinking corpse!" very similar.

MOWGLI
01-25-2006, 08:08
This is very similar to what my wife calls me after a weekender. she calls me a "walking, cold, wet, rotten, maggot filled, stinking corpse!" very similar.

So now we know why she sent you off to do the PCT. How'd it go by the way?

Ridge
01-25-2006, 08:20
Someday I will start a thread talking about all the reasons not to hike with a dear friend and/or relative, especially one that you've never hiked with much. I will return alone to the PCT when the snows are normal and I can do my own thing. As Forrest Gump would say "And thats all I have to say about that"!

kyhipo
01-25-2006, 09:28
good reason to stay out of debates :banana,personally vermonts a very pretty state to hike thru I believe,dont get caught up with outside issues,their will be plenty of things going thru your mind as it is.Ky