PDA

View Full Version : 2.5 or 3p tent for us and the dog

sethd513
02-01-2017, 19:26
Any light weight proven tents out there comfy for 2 humans and a dog? Full bug protection. Sturdy floor for his claws. 4ish pounds or less? I do want the cloudburst as it would be a better and lighter winter tent as well but a cheap tent that teaches the dog boundaries would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

creek gap
02-01-2017, 19:41
Tarptent Hogback

bigcranky
02-01-2017, 20:46
We hiked for a few days with a couple who had a medium size dog, and they were happy with their Tarptent StratoSpire 2.

Venchka
02-01-2017, 21:14
We hiked for a few days with a couple who had a medium size dog, and they were happy with their Tarptent StratoSpire 2.

My thought exactly. Expand the floor to maximum size if needed.
Wayne

sethd513
02-02-2017, 06:32
My thought exactly. Expand the floor to maximum size if needed.
Wayne

Yea that's a pretty sweet set up. I looked into it a little more last night.

Traveler
02-02-2017, 10:11
Maybe a pup tent would work out?

Just could not resist that...

HooKooDooKu
02-02-2017, 11:12
Any light weight... Sturdy floor for his claws...
Seems like these two desires contradict each other.
But the one thought that comes to mind is to get a ground cloth that you put INSIDE the tent to protect a thin floor from his claws.

sethd513
02-02-2017, 11:14
Seems like these two desires contradict each other.
But the one thought that comes to mind is to get a ground cloth that you put INSIDE the tent to protect a thin floor from his claws.

Yes they are extremely contradictory hahaha. I only mean that as a 15d floor for example wouldn't work. Personally I'd like it to be like 70d but now my tent weight is above 6lbs. Ground cloth is a good call on that too. Thank you

Spirit Walker
02-02-2017, 14:16
We have a Cloudburst that we bought for backpacking with our large dog. It's huge. We started him out with a very cheap tent though, because we weren't sure how he would respond to being surrounded by wildlife etc. Our first time car camping he wouldn't settle down, he was so excited/nervous. With experience, he got much more relaxed. The first time we were out backpacking, a raccoon snarled just outside and the dog dove through the window. We were very glad we were not out a lot of money. After that, we had no problems, though we've only had him out for a dozen or so nights.

bfox
02-02-2017, 14:27
tarptent rainshadow 2. Lots of floor space inside

Land_Shark
02-02-2017, 15:20
A set of hammocks and some large lightweight tarps. Puppy has more space and you are off of ground. Just buy the biggest tarps you can get for coverage during rainy days.

Franco
02-02-2017, 17:14
There is an insert made for the StratoSpire (both 1 and 2) that gives a separate area for a dog or small child .
This one :
called SideCar
the floor is 30d but you could put a small piece of Tyvek or similar over it if worried. Many dog owners reported their TT floors to work with their dogs as it is. (Henry Shires for one...)

franco@tarptent

ScareBear
02-02-2017, 17:19
Just get some 1443r type Tyvek and cut to fit your inside floorprint of your tent you already have and stop worrying! If you don't already have a tent, look for more space but don't go worrying about the darn tent floor...just get some 1443r and make your own floor topper. You are going to be carrying extra weight with a dog anyway, no need to compound it...

Rex Clifton
02-02-2017, 17:46
I have given up hiking with a dog. Unless it is very well behaved, you are asking for a damaged tent. Mine bolted right through the mesh after a critter.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

LIhikers
02-02-2017, 22:33
My wife and I, and our 90 pound shepherd, use a Tarptent Rainshadow 2. It gives us full weather and bug protection plus plenty of room.
Our dog lays between us with her head at the foot end. That gives her a window to look out at that end of the tent.
The tent has plenty of ventilation so we all get plenty of air.