PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Starting in First Week of May?

nyushka42
01-21-2006, 23:14
I know it's kinda late to start from Springer, but then, I don't plan to spend much time in towns, and I don't particularly like to lounge around much, (not that there's anything wrong with that, I just tend to get restless), so even though I'm a slow hiker, I tend to get farther because I spend more time walking.
So, if anyone, thru or section hikers starting from there first week of May, and looking for someone to start with, let me know!

Whistler
01-21-2006, 23:25
I didn't head north until May 21 last year. Ran into/ caught up with quite a few thru-hopers and sectioners every single day. The crowd is thinner, but you can definitely find company. I don't mean that you shouldn't look for a starting partner if that's what you want--my intent is just to keep you from getting too anxious about being the lone NOBO straggler. It's a great time to start hiking, too, weather-wise.

Also, fair warning: it's very hard to hear about your fellow WBers announcing their departure in March and April, or talking about how Georgia wasn't all that bad, or how cool the Smokies were, or how great Miss Janet is--all before you've even left!! It makes it very hard to not just drop everything and head for Springer...

Good luck.
-Mark

bigben
01-22-2006, 00:36
I'm not thru-hiking(can't), but I am hiking from Amicalola Falls to Neel's Gap May 14-18th.

Bigben

0x12d3
01-23-2006, 01:56
I know it's kinda late to start from Springer, but then, I don't plan to spend much time in towns, and I don't particularly like to lounge around much, (not that there's anything wrong with that, I just tend to get restless), so even though I'm a slow hiker, I tend to get farther because I spend more time walking.
So, if anyone, thru or section hikers starting from there first week of May, and looking for someone to start with, let me know!

I plan to start, sometime in the first week of April.

Lemur
01-31-2006, 18:49
I've been wanting to get on the trail ever since I decided to do a thru this year last summer. But with my final start date set- getting money enough has been my problem- I am flying out of Philly on the 5th of May. I'll look forward to seeing you on the trail.
I was also hoping/thinking that staying on trail and not in towns much (also cheaper) would help me to make timely progress despite my late start date.

hammock engineer
01-31-2006, 20:06
Wait another month and go south, all the cool kids are doing it.

The money thing is the reason why I decided to go SOBO. I wanted to save up enough money befere I left. Might be an option for you. That way you would not have to worry about time and making miles, unless you wanted to.

mweinstone
01-31-2006, 21:47
go south.and walk the trail in the right direction.hence the term, the appalachian trail maine to georgia.exspirence the thrill of signing the registers ,so and so,,me>ga.the proper way. and its o so much cooler to be a southbounder.theres a respect that comes with it like clint eastwood gets walkin into a western town.im going to walk this trail my life long so ill walk it the hard way,south,after i master the easy way,north.

Old Spice
02-02-2006, 20:40
I've been wanting to get on the trail ever since I decided to do a thru this year last summer. But with my final start date set- getting money enough has been my problem- I am flying out of Philly on the 5th of May. I'll look forward to seeing you on the trail.
I was also hoping/thinking that staying on trail and not in towns much (also cheaper) would help me to make timely progress despite my late start date.

I hear you on the late start date due to insufficient funding. I am planning on starting the first week of May as well. This still gives one a solid five months to do it in, which should not really be a problem unless you spend to much time hanging around and doing to many low mile days.

hauptman
02-06-2006, 15:22
I am also not starting until may. The wait is eating my mind alive! I am starting may 13th. I tried a thru-hike last year and failed miserably. I have been working out and hiking alot to get in shape and have a better sense of what it takes. This year it is all the way or nothing!!! I am packed and ready(just a few tweaks of homeade krapola and refine my mail drop box food list a bit), but now the wait begins. I cannot start until late, because I am doing it between college semesters. 3 months!!! I feel I can do a fast thru, I now average 25-35 miles a day on one to two week hikes. Got may fingers crossed. Anyway the boredom here at school is going to drive me nuts, but I can not wait to get out there and start. Hope to catch up with some of you on the trail and best of luck to those who start earlier!!!