PDA

View Full Version : inter changing canister fuel ??

penny b
02-01-2017, 23:29
If you get the MRS pocket rocket 2 canister camp stove .... DO you HAVE to always buy their canisters or will that fit onto say like coleman fuel canister or any other brands ... I trying to figure out how easy or hard it would be to get fuel on the trail.

Sarcasm the elf
02-01-2017, 23:34
If you get the MRS pocket rocket 2 canister camp stove .... DO you HAVE to always buy their canisters or will that fit onto say like coleman fuel canister or any other brands ... I trying to figure out how easy or hard it would be to get fuel on the trail.

The brand does not matter: the threads are standardized and canisters are interchangeable.

The only thing to really keep an eye on is to make sure to pick up a "four season mix" when using it in cold weather.

penny b
02-01-2017, 23:35
sweet ok thank you ... I was thinking interchangable and all but wanted to make sure before I go and buy gear really want to know what I getting into and make sure i get it right.

Hangfire
02-02-2017, 01:57
At one point (weeks before flying to Georgia) I wasn't even sure that you could remove the canister from the stove with out all of the fuel leaking out...good times. :)

HooKooDooKu
02-02-2017, 02:28
At first, I was going to suggest that you look into the SnowPeak MaxLite. I own both the MaxLite and the Pocket Rocket and I find the MaxLite to be far supirior because it folds much more compactly and pots seem to be more stable on it.

But then I noticed you said the Pocket Rocket 2 and wondered if MSR had come out with a new stove. Looks like they did and I found this review for it.
https://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2016/12/review-new-msr-pocket-rocket-2.html?m=1

At first, it looked like MSR had developed something that might eat the MaxLite's lunch. The new Pocket Rocket is lighter than the old putting about on part with the MaxLite, it folds down very compactly (perhas not as compact as the MaxLite), they improved the pot supports, and most of all have the new Pocket Rocket 2 has a price that is more than 20% less.

But then I read that the new pot supports are still sloped like the old Pocket Rocket. This is what I always saw as the stability downfall of the Pocket Rocket. The pot supports of the MaxLite lie perfectly flat. But with the sloped supports of the Pocket Rocket leaves pots (larger in diameter than the supports) sitting on three needle points, and somehow that seemed to make pots sitting on it less stable (because once deployed, the two stoves are about equal in pot support diameter and height).

So if you are using a pot with a larger diameter, I would suggest that you test your pot on some store displays of each stove before you commit to one over the other.

blw2
02-02-2017, 20:57
I was just at Gander Mt today and picked up a couple of canisters form my jetboil. Was considering the MSR's they had but was wondering the same thing. will it fit?
The MSR's were a bit more expensive and held a few more grams of fuel.. but looked to be the same dimensions...I went with jetboil to be safe since I didn't know if the threads would work. Seems like teh MSR's might have been a better way to go, with more fuel.

Mags
02-02-2017, 21:05
Yes. Any standard isobutane canister (Lindal thread) will work. Pretty much all the canisters are made in Korea. The major differences are the branding and the propane to isobutane ratio. For three-season hiking? Does not matter.

As usual, Hikin' Jim has a very good article about it:
https://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2016/11/can-i-use-any-brand-of-gas-canister.html

saltysack
02-03-2017, 09:06
At first, I was going to suggest that you look into the SnowPeak MaxLite. I own both the MaxLite and the Pocket Rocket and I find the MaxLite to be far supirior because it folds much more compactly and pots seem to be more stable on it.

But then I noticed you said the Pocket Rocket 2 and wondered if MSR had come out with a new stove. Looks like they did and I found this review for it.
https://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2016/12/review-new-msr-pocket-rocket-2.html?m=1

At first, it looked like MSR had developed something that might eat the MaxLite's lunch. The new Pocket Rocket is lighter than the old putting about on part with the MaxLite, it folds down very compactly (perhas not as compact as the MaxLite), they improved the pot supports, and most of all have the new Pocket Rocket 2 has a price that is more than 20% less.

But then I read that the new pot supports are still sloped like the old Pocket Rocket. This is what I always saw as the stability downfall of the Pocket Rocket. The pot supports of the MaxLite lie perfectly flat. But with the sloped supports of the Pocket Rocket leaves pots (larger in diameter than the supports) sitting on three needle points, and somehow that seemed to make pots sitting on it less stable (because once deployed, the two stoves are about equal in pot support diameter and height).

So if you are using a pot with a larger diameter, I would suggest that you test your pot on some store displays of each stove before you commit to one over the other.

Lite max?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yaduck9
02-03-2017, 12:09

The dominant type of canister being used at the moment is "Lindal Valve" specification. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EN_417

Kovea, a South Korean manufactuer, appears to be producing the majority of stoves as an OEM supplier. If you look at the labels of stoves and canisters you will see that most are a product of South Korea. So, when you shop, check out the label. You will probably be purchasing a Kovea manufactured item.

The only oddball(s) appear to be:

Jetboil, whose gas valves and burners appear to be identical to Primus. Not sure who manufactuers their stuff.

Soto, no idea who makes their products.

Most all stoves use the Lindal Valve specification and should be interchangeable.

Maineiac64
02-03-2017, 12:33
I recall a thread where people using snow peak stoves had some issues with other manufacturers canisters but were able to get it to work by really tightening it down.

Dogwood
02-03-2017, 12:37
I recall a thread where people using snow peak stoves had some issues with other manufacturers canisters but were able to get it to work by really tightening it down.

No issue with different cans. It's specific "canister challenged" users that MIGHT have issue.

Dogwood
02-03-2017, 12:43

Micro Pocket Rocket was improved upon a few yrs ago to address stand issues. Get the newer version Micro Pocket Rocket WITHOUT the piezo ignition. It's the lighter wt, more compact, less POSSIBLE issue stove verse the old Pocket Rocket or old Micro Pocket Rocket.

Some good pics showing comparisons here. http://seattlebackpackersmagazine.com/the-new-msr-microrocket/

TTT
02-03-2017, 15:19
I have similar concerns. I recently bought a Fire Maple Titanium UL Fms heat core stove. I believe it to be the lightest on the market. That's the good news. The bad news is I'm unsure if its European attachment matches US canisters, and if they will be available on the AT.