PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

flutch
02-02-2017, 13:41
I gave notice to my job, and they came back and said stay one more year and you can go in 2018, and your job will be here when you are done. I have a good paying job...

My mind I have been ready to go, my start date is March 16th..... bought all my gear... bought my train ticket to Gainsville GA...

I know it will hard to give advice but just wanted to throw it out there.

I want to go. My wife supports me in either decision. She also said that I could:-?:-? go once a month every month to go hike on the AT for a long weekend. And then go next year, but she also supports me going this year.

Thanks as always.

Flutch.

Tundracamper
02-02-2017, 13:49
Did you get that offer in writing? I wouldn't even consider it until I had something in writing. Lots can change in a year and people tend to forget things. If it's worth having a job when you get back, then perhaps it's a deal. BTW, any letter would need to state the time off and the guarantee of a job when returning.

Tundracamper
02-02-2017, 13:51
PS. While your at it - make them throw in a raise when you get back - you are giving up something, after all:)

flutch
02-02-2017, 13:54
Did you get that offer in writing? I wouldn't even consider it until I had something in writing. Lots can change in a year and people tend to forget things. If it's worth having a job when you get back, then perhaps it's a deal. BTW, any letter would need to state the time off and the guarantee of a job when returning.

I didn't get this in writing. Not sure they would, but that something I need to get if I stay.

Flutch

JC13
02-02-2017, 13:58
I agree with the above, if it isn't in writing, not worth staying. I have seen multiple people get worked over by this type of offer. Of course, all cases did not have the agreement in writing and when everything went south, they had nothing.

Not trying to be a negative Nancy but it pays to be vigilant.

Spirit Walker
02-02-2017, 14:11
Do you like your job? A lot of times people go on the AT when they are burned out with their jobs or relationships, so going back to the same thing is not all that appealing. If you do like your job, then I would certainly consider staying.

flutch
02-02-2017, 14:13
So I work in a right to work state, NC. Does it matter if I get it in writing? Do I have any legs to stand on?

I am not a lawyer so I was wondering if anyone knows something about this?

Flutch

Christoph
02-02-2017, 14:13
Definitely have a written agreement. It sounds like you're ready to go this year, as planned so go for it. If they really want you, they'll possibly offer a raise to keep you here this year or have no objection to a written agreement. Not sure how that would hold up though, might want to research if they're an at will employer.

flutch
02-02-2017, 14:33
Definitely have a written agreement. It sounds like you're ready to go this year, as planned so go for it. If they really want you, they'll possibly offer a raise to keep you here this year or have no objection to a written agreement. Not sure how that would hold up though, might want to research if they're an at will employer.

They are an at will employer.

Flutch

HooKooDooKu
02-02-2017, 14:57
First of all, I don't think it really matters if you have something in writing or not. Many states have "at will" employment policies. So unless the written agreement is some sort of a long-term contract, an employer could simply hire you back, and then suddenly realize in a month that you're no longer needed.

So there isn't going to be any sort of a one-size-fits-all to this kind of situation. It totally depends upon your line of work, the future potential of your business industry, how important you are, and the attitude of management (and about 100 other variables).

After all, here's two lines of logic that might apply, depending upon your situation and all the other variables.

1. Since management is asking you to stay, you are apparently important to them NOW. If there is a reasonable chance you won't be as important in the future, you might stand a better chance of getting your job/career back if you leave while you're still important and more likely to still be important and needed at the end of this hiking season.

2. If you are easy to replace, then it might be better to keep management happy and wait until next year to try to keep them happy rather than risk pissing them off now and find that you've been replaced and no longer needed at the end of this hiking season.

BTW: Even if it shouldn't mean anything legally, I think it would still be a good idea to get the understanding you and your manager have over this situation in writing. That way, if you get any push-back on the issue in the future, you have something to show them exactly what was agreed to. They might still have legal loopholes to get out of the agreement, but with something in writing, no one will be able to say "that's not what we agreed to" and hopefully it becomes a sense of honor and not legalities that ensures you have a job when you come back.

tarditi
02-02-2017, 15:02
no guarantees in NC... in-writing or not - no cause needed for you to be made "redundant"

John B
02-02-2017, 15:22
I think that I'd wait until next year and be happy with the guaranteed job upon your return, because statistically speaking, there's about a 50% chance your thru will be finished about a month after you start.

swisscross
02-02-2017, 15:24
What if they let you go, say in July. You will be unemployed and not hiking.
Sounds like you are ready to go, GO!

Bronk
02-02-2017, 16:13
Depends on your trust level with your employer...you'll feel like you've really been taken if next year they say "oh, well, we can't really do that right now...if there's an open position when you get done you can apply for it but we'll bring you back in at entry level pay. I'm sorry that Bob told you that but [he doesn't work here anymore, he wasn't authorized to make that promise.]"

pesphoto
02-02-2017, 16:26
you were prepared to quit and go now .......so go....who knows what will be in a year and prevent u from going....just go

Lone Wolf
02-02-2017, 16:33
i would go while the excitement is high. so go young man!

Tipi Walter
02-02-2017, 16:39
She also said that I could:-?:-? go once a month every month to go hike on the AT for a long weekend. And then go next year, but she also supports me going this year.

Thanks as always.

Flutch.

There's you answer. Get out right now as much as humanly possible. Rediscover the wonderful maxim---"Life's too short to be indoors".

The Solemates
02-02-2017, 16:50
Be patient. Wait a year. Don't burn bridges. If you are a good employee, any company worth working for will keep their word. If they dont, you dont want to be working for them anyways.

Time Zone
02-02-2017, 16:51
I'll echo was was said about getting stuff in writing - indeed, consider an employment contract. Without one, well, there are no guarantees. Just their word. And they may intend to keep it, but circumstances change, and they may find themselves later in a position where they can't honor their word.

Now, asking for it in writing may seem a bit adversarial - it is - but they are asking you to give up something for a verbal agreement - which is not worth the paper it's (not) printed on. If you can afford one, you might want to consider consulting an attorney.

Another consideration is this: what do they know about 2018 that tells them they can afford to have you gone for months, and that they'll be able to hire you back when you're through? Who does your work while you're gone, and what happens to them when you get back? What stops the employer from giving you the same line in 2018?

Does the employer have a track record of hiring back people who take a months-long leave of absence?

I wouldn't worry about the at-will part. That's true whether you stay or go. The bigger issue is, why should you believe that they'll let you hike in 2018, and be able/willing to hire you back afterwards? What makes staying this year so important to them? Are you going to be training your replacement?

Well, I do hope you get to go, but this is indeed a sticky wicket. Hopefully you will find rewarding work at the end of it regardless. You may wish to make some quiet overtures to the competition, see if they might need someone in 7+ months or whatever, just in case you return to a "no vacancy" sign.

Best of luck to you.

ScareBear
02-02-2017, 17:14
First off, are you catching the signal your wife is sending? She's not begging you to go right now. She's suggesting that you stay and will offer a compromise in the meantime. I think she's giving you a viable option. Perhaps she thinks you should try it before you buy it?

If you do stay, I'd ask for an employment contract for 2019 contingent upon your successful exit of...say...2/1/2018...

flutch
02-02-2017, 17:19
First off, are you catching the signal your wife is sending? She's not begging you to go right now. She's suggesting that you stay and will offer a compromise in the meantime. I think she's giving you a viable option. Perhaps she thinks you should try it before you buy it?

If you do stay, I'd ask for an employment contract for 2019 contingent upon your successful exit of...say...2/1/2018...

I have been with my wife for 25 years. I started a thru-hike in 2001 but had to get off because I was becoming a dad. I did a month and a half on the trail. Being a dad was and is the most important priority in my life at that time and I need to take care of my family. I love to Hike so it is not try before you buy kinda thing. I understand what you are saying, but my wife just wants me to be happy.

Thanks,

Flutch

ScareBear
02-02-2017, 17:21
I have been with my wife for 25 years. I started a thru-hike in 2001 but had to get off because I was becoming a dad. I did a month and a half on the trail. Being a dad was and is the most important priority in my life at that time and I need to take care of my family. I love to Hike so it is not try before you buy kinda thing. I understand what you are saying, but my wife just wants me to be happy.

Thanks,

Flutch

Then go for it! But, the fact you are asking, and the fact she is offering a compromise means something, yes? I think she'd rather you wait the year...just sayin...

Maineiac64
02-02-2017, 18:24
They are just trying to postpone and will do same next year. The time is now, it's all lined up for you, go for it. I am sure if you show your passion for the pursuit and your appreciation for the company then you will have a good chance to rejoin that firm when you get back.

H I T C H
02-03-2017, 00:00
If you left this year as planned what was your intention for work the following year?

Would you have come back to this job if it was available?

cliffordbarnabus
02-03-2017, 00:42
we get wrapped up in fear and "guarantees" in america.

we get insurance policies for our insurance policies in case our insurance policies don't actually insure us.

we can all die tomorrow be it walking, driving, cycling, or just waking up.

go. do it. now.

Miner
02-03-2017, 01:32
Only you know your employer, your job, and how easy it is to get employed in your field where you live. If you like your job and you can trust your employer, I'd just wait it out a year unless you feel that finding a new job will be easy. Few jobs will offer to bring you back after you are done hiking. I've done my 2 really big hikes after layoffs,. but I've considered quitting to hike more than once, but it ended up working out nicely where I didn't have to. I'm probably one of the few that wasn't upset when I got laid off. Cool, I wanted to hike anyway. However, it wasn't always easy to find a job when i got home either. So if my employer offered a way to hike and have a job afterwards, I'd be hard press to pass it by.

jefals
02-03-2017, 07:42
I agree with the above, if it isn't in writing, not worth staying. I have seen multiple people get worked over by this type of offer. Of course, all cases did not have the agreement in writing and when everything went south, they had nothing.

Not trying to be a negative Nancy but it pays to be vigilant.
Yeah, get it in writing. Then show it to a lawyer and make sure it's legally binding.

4eyedbuzzard
02-03-2017, 07:49
I gave notice to my job, and they came back and said stay one more year and you can go in 2018, and your job will be here when you are done. I have a good paying job...

My mind I have been ready to go, my start date is March 16th..... bought all my gear... bought my train ticket to Gainsville GA...

I know it will hard to give advice but just wanted to throw it out there.

I want to go. My wife supports me in either decision. She also said that I could:-?:-? go once a month every month to go hike on the AT for a long weekend. And then go next year, but she also supports me going this year.

Thanks as always.

Flutch.Sigh. Obviously your employer values you enough to make such an offer. And your statement that "I have a good paying job" means you value your employment relationship with them. It's a tough call. Your relatively young, and the trail isn't going anywhere. No one can predict what economic realities will come to pass by next year. And given "at will" employment, a written statement isn't a guaranty of any kind. My gut reaction would be to suggest some week long and weekend hikes now will help smooth over not thru-hiking this year. You also don't mention your LD hiking experience, your ability to replace your job/income upon return if necessary due to losing this job, etc. And unless you've done long hikes before, you may very well find that you're one of the many who actually prefer shorter section hikes. Because there's the romantic notion of thru-hiking, and then there's the reality. And they aren't the same.

Breindy
02-03-2017, 07:50
I'd go...life is not guaranteed. Many things can change over a year, including the management team.

llittle_llama
02-03-2017, 10:02
Leave. Go for the hike. Unless of course the market for your job is saturated and you won't be able to find a job upon your return ;)

-Rush-
02-03-2017, 18:28
The best advice here is to trust YOUR instincts. Only YOU know if their word can be trusted. The trail isn't going anywhere.

llittle_llama
02-03-2017, 19:04
Can you please enlighten us to your line of work? Horse salesman? Dog groomer? Policeman/woman? Plumber? Maybe you could fly a jet maybe you could be a Vet!

thestin
02-03-2017, 19:14
Basically you resigned and your employer counter offered to try and keep you. Happens a lot, except that most people are going to another job, not on a hike. What if you looked at it like this? You are taking a 6 to 9 month temporary job to enrich your life. When you come back you will still be valuable to an employer, even if not the one you are working for now. Plus, you live in an area that has a history of economic growth and stability. I'd politely turn the offer down and go hiking this year.

Traveler
02-04-2017, 08:13
If there is a doubt, there is no doubt.

Mr. Bumpy
02-04-2017, 12:18
If there is a doubt, there is no doubt.

Every situation depends on the situation.

jj dont play
02-04-2017, 13:07
Anyone who works hard and is good at there job runs into this when wanting to do a thru hike.
If you already weighed out the "cost" of leaving your job to thru hike and decided you were good to go, an offer to entice you to stay shouldn't matter.
Work and life changes constantly. Staying that extra year could also prevent you from having the ability to go in 2018. If your are all set to go this year, go.

Likes2travel
02-04-2017, 21:22
GO and GO now if you can swing it. You are not GUARANTEED NEXT YEAR. You are only guaranteed that you MAY or MAY NOT be alive!

Tangor
03-03-2017, 22:42
Flutch, I am in a similar situation. I told my employers a year ago my intentions to quit and hike the trail this year. They have invited me to come back and that is really nice for sure. On one hand it relieves some stress for my life after the hike; on the other hand a lot can and will change in the months I am on the trail.

I had planned to hike this year before I told them my intentions. It was their choice to extend an invitation on my return. I didn't ask them to, and I won't be holding them to it upon my return.

I chose to give my employer a year notice because as a manager I knew they would need time to train/replace me. What I have seen over the past year is they haven't done much in that department. :D

TL;DR
It sounds like by asking you to postpone your plans for a year, your company wants to make it easier on them to replace you, making their offer to welcome you back a little thin.

I would stay on your current course. You are prepared to go now. Your family is prepared for you to go now. I hope to see you out there on the trail.

- Christopher

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Slow Trek
03-03-2017, 23:03
It occurs to me that if you are worried about the laws that apply in your state,you don't really trust them to keep their word. If not,do you really want to work there? I also wonder what plan A was. Were you hoping to go back there,or were you ready for a change anyway? Life is short,if your spouse is truly on board,and you can afford to go,catch that train. If they really need you,they will make a place for you when you get done.

AfterParty
03-04-2017, 01:27
X2 if they like you chances are pretty good they'll want you back regardless. Don't quit the trail before you start or you may never get the opportunity. Its basically the best odds in the house 50\50 either you get your job back or you don't. Chances of starting next year those odds are quite complex like trying to hit a single number in roulette with one bet. Life happens and right now you should play the smart bet and hope they hire you back. That's my thought process on this plus you already got your ticket.

Pondjumpr
03-06-2017, 10:01
Please don't take this the wrong way but their offer of offering you a job when you come back as long as you wait until 2018 to go is all about them and not about you. I have been in the corporate world for 20+ years and trust me, they want you to stay because they want you leaving to be on their terms. They want more time to prepare for your departure and for your replacement.
You were obviously ready and willing to quit and hike the AT. IMO, you will never regret going in 2017 but.... if you wait and something changes in 2017 to delay you or keep you from making the hike in 2018, you will have major regret.

In short, if you and your family are prepared and willing to make it happen this year... Do it... If you are good at your job, it will be there when you get back. That is, if you are even willing to continue in that field after the life changing hike on the AT.

Best wishes on your decision. I'm rooting for you!

Rising3agle
03-17-2017, 06:34
having been in a similar situation with my employer, my view is "tainted" a bit. disclaimer - I work in cybersecurity, so no lack of work in my field. I could leave my job tomorrow and have a pick of many others without any issue.

my employer is more than just an employer to me - he values the work and dedication I have to getting the job done, and I trust most anything he tells me. It most likely has something to do with us both being retired military - but not once has it ever crossed my mind that he would attempt to jerk me around. If he asked me to wait a year to go, and if I did I would have a job coming back - I would postpone a year. That's not driven from the need for a job (retired military 28 years - could almost get by on that check) but more from the relationship with my boss.

Look at it this way - you're asking for something (ok not really - you're ready to quit with no expectations); but if you want to have a job when you get back from a 6-month vacation, you are asking for something. Your boss is asking for something in return - for you to delay a year, probably so he could be a bit better prepared for you to be gone for 6 months (reallocation of projects, whatever). He obviously values you as an employee; if one of my employees asked me for 6 months off, and I didn't value that guy - I'd let him go no problem. If it's one of my rock stars, I'm going to try to have him back after his 6 months if I can.

Really it comes down to how much you like your current job, and how much you trust (and like) your boss. Nothing's guaranteed - including an injury two weeks into the trail that lays you up, or a huge layoff, or a car wreck, or whatever. But having a decent job that you enjoy in today's world is a commodity not everyone has; if there's a chance to keep that AND work in a hike, to me that's a win-win.

And you have the added bonus of a very supportive wife. Maybe discuss with the boss that you'd like to stay - but you'd also like to be able to take a week off here and there (once a quarter) to get out for a section hike. if you stack 5 days off with a holiday weekend, you can easily string together 8-10 days off in a row (two weekends, plus holiday, plus 5 days) for the cost of a one-week paycheck (if it had to be unpaid). That's enough to get out and hike a pretty good chunk and enjoy until your thru attempt.

Like many have pointed out - the AT can be a 'career changing opportunity'. If that's more what you're after, then there really isn't much of a decision to make - go out and hike it now, the AT is the trigger. But if you enjoy your career and employer, I'd seriously consider waiting a year and squeezing in a half dozen 10-day trips.

good luck on the decision - it can be a toughy. ;)