PDA

View Full Version : AT Training in advance.

Longboysfan
02-02-2017, 14:45
I'm section hiking from Neel's in GA. north for a week in the end of March. Trying to go from Neel's to RT 64. This is about 77 miles.

I'm also training at least one weekend day with my pack at weight - 30 lbs.

I covered 6 miles in 2 hours last weekend. Not a lot of hills in this hike as the area I'm in is only rollers. But not stopping other than to peel outer clothes off one time.

When I get closer I will up the miles and time.

I run some days of the week - spliced in with Refereeing soccer.
I walk ever week day at least one mile at lake next to work.

I am also practicing the food I'll be carrying for breakfast, lunches and dinners.

I'm working on my equipment also.

Anything I'm missing.

Engine
02-02-2017, 15:54
I'm section hiking from Neel's in GA. north for a week in the end of March. Trying to go from Neel's to RT 64. This is about 77 miles.

I'm also training at least one weekend day with my pack at weight - 30 lbs.

I covered 6 miles in 2 hours last weekend. Not a lot of hills in this hike as the area I'm in is only rollers. But not stopping other than to peel outer clothes off one time.

When I get closer I will up the miles and time.

I run some days of the week - spliced in with Refereeing soccer.
I walk ever week day at least one mile at lake next to work.

I am also practicing the food I'll be carrying for breakfast, lunches and dinners.

I'm working on my equipment also.

Anything I'm missing. Read Appalachian Trials, it's got some great insight into the mental prep which is a huge aspect of success. Otherwise it sounds like you are on the right track with a great attitude toward getting as ready as you can.

Falls Down Goes Boom
02-02-2017, 19:31
I agree, sounds like you are on the right track. I've been section hiking the past 4 summers and the first year I was woefully unprepared for Rocksylvania. After that I started putting the treadmill on maximum incline and walking at 2-3 miles per hour for an hour or so during the winter and once the snow is off the hills in Upstate New York in late April I load my pack up with steel weight to get it up to 40 lbs and go for some day hikes (9 - 17 miles) on the Finger Lakes Trail. Ideally one day every weekend for about 4 - 6 weeks prior to the hike. My actual pack weight on the AT is 30 - 35 lbs, but the AT is definitely harder than the FLT, so it kind of balances out.

This winter I found a Stairmaster on Craigslist and have been spending some time on that as well.

You said you're working on your gear as well, so you're probably already doing this, but if your gear is new, practice setting up your tent and lighting your stove a few times so you're not fumbling around in the cold or the dark trying to figure out how things are supposed to work.

Cheyou
02-02-2017, 20:01
Sound like you have a plan that will work.

thom

johnspenn
02-02-2017, 20:18
You might consider training with more than your load-out weight a couple of times a week. Then, when you put your pack on with your actual load out, it will feel light. For the first few steps anyway. Good luck!

Wyoming
02-03-2017, 15:21
Longboy

You did not say when you intended to start the whole trail and that is an important detail.

But just on the surface of what you have in your post I would say you are way short on training miles. Even for your planned 1 week hike. BTW running is not a good substitute for hiking with a pack - though it does help with lung power.

Now I have lots of time being retired and on top of that hiking is my main activity so take what I have below with a grain of salt. It may just not be possible for you to have the time I do.

My standard hiking week year round when not in training for a hike or on a hike is about 30-35 miles on mountain trails.
When in training for a hike I start about 2 months out and slowly up the mileage until about a week before the hike I put in a week of at least 100 miles with a pack. Then I taper for a week to let the body rest a bit before I start. When building up I add miles gradually and when I start to emphasize the pack I cut the miles a bit and alternate with pack and without for a good 10 days.

By doing fairly extensive and mixed training you dramatically reduce the chance of the kind of injuries which are the most common hike stoppers. Shin splints, bad blisters, tendonitis, plantar fasciitis, stress fractures, sore knees. Those types of injuries are most common with hikers who do not train sufficiently and then put too much stress on the body.

Even if you can't train like I do and do not have access to the hills I would recommend at least 5 miles a day now and get to 10 miles a day before your hike. Most of this can be sans pack (unless you are one of those with a pretty heavy pack - 30lbs or more). If you are going to carry a heavy pack you need to be a lot more dedicated as that heavier pack results in a lot more stress on the body and raises the chance of injury a lot.

Wyoming

Longboysfan
02-03-2017, 16:13
I started a long time ago section hiking a good part of NY and NJ.
Say from Bear Mtn Bridge back into N.J. for about 30 miles.

Last year I section hiked from the approach trail to Neel's gap.

This year start at Neel's and go from there.

I know I'm short on training miles with the pack. So far as my weekend running about on soccer fields as a referee takes a bit out of my 63 year old legs.
I did almost nothing last year in training - just boots breaking in my feet. Ouch.
Then got out there and hiked up a storm for two days plus. Till weather got us.

I know when this March hits - it will be march just about every day to practice with weight in pack.

Thanks for the hint on try stove and put up tent. I'll do that.

Pack weight last year leaving Hiker Hostel was 37.

I hope to get that down a little - less food - re-supply at the top of Georgia hostel along the way.
Feet will be in better condition as boots will be broken in and I know how to mole skin and tape my heels.
This is where the blisters were last year from practice hikes.

Thanks this is information I am looking for.

LBF.

Falls Down Goes Boom
02-04-2017, 12:59
Thankfully blisters haven't been a problem for me once I started using a sock liner under my hiking socks. I still carry moleskin just in case. My feet get sore, but no blisters.

For whatever reason, I still have to bandaid up when I cross-country ski. I get blisters on my heels and between my toes.

Longboysfan
02-06-2017, 10:06
Well. I ran two weekend tests on cooking with the stove. Jet Boil.
Made a dinner I will make on the trail.
Was very good.

Walked about 15 miles in 5 hours with weighted pack on Saturday & Sunday.
No problems with feet, boots or carrying.
I put on the pack and go.
I only stop to pick up trail trash.

This was my last weekend of doubles before my soccer schedule gets in the way.

Started to lay out the things I'm taking and getting food tested and ready to go.

TSWisla
02-07-2017, 12:08
Walk some hills, you will use muscles and tendons that you did not know existed. I found it helpful to do some squats, deadlifts, bridges. Good luck.

JPritch
02-07-2017, 16:13
I agree with TSWisla about hitting the weight room. I focused on building leg strength up all winter (squats, lunges, leg press, - go deep!, calf work). After getting back into the mountains a couple weeks ago after a 4 month layoff, I'm PR'ing all my previous times and stopping much less. It really does help.

Mags
02-07-2017, 17:10
Get out, use the gear, see what works, have fun.

“If you are going on a walking-party, one of the best things you can do is to “train” a week or more before starting, by taking long walks in the open air.” <--- Written in 1877. Still pretty true.

Slo-go'en
02-07-2017, 17:25
Just go out and walk a lot.

fiddlehead
02-08-2017, 01:56
Step machine.
Or add steep hills to your training.
Would be my advice.
I'm planning a thru of a trail this coming summer (Via Dinarica) and walking 10-15kms every day right now.
Moved it off road a few weeks ago and now doing steep hills (although haven't done the big kms on the steep stuff)
When it gets closer to the time, I'll add the pack to my walks.
I don't have to worry about bad weather here (I'm in Thailand), but if I did, I'd be working out on a step machine. (boring but gets the right muscles in shape.)

BlackCloud
02-08-2017, 15:00
I find several weeks on a stair climber or incline machine that can go beyond 15 degrees to be very effective in preparing one for any uphill endeavor...

rocketsocks
02-08-2017, 16:26
Stadium steps...don't negate the "down hills" whole nother set of muscles, often it's what causes injuries.

Engine
02-08-2017, 17:41
Stadium steps...don't negate the "down hills" whole nother set of muscles, often it's what causes injuries. Good point, many people fear the uphills but you can slow down and granny-gear your way up pretty much anything. When faced with a long steep downhill, the lower quads will take a beating at any pace, if they're not adequately prepared for the task.

Longboysfan
02-10-2017, 11:36
OK. I'll look into working out on Stadium steps.
As the hills here are not too steep.

Dallas Fort Worth area.

colorado_rob
02-10-2017, 12:09
Just my opinion: mostly forget all the machines and mostly forget the weight rooms, get out and WALK, a lot. Toughen up those feet and lower legs.

The only thing I'd work on in weight rooms is upper body toning and core exercises.

Work on those feet folks, get 'em toughened up and you'll enjoy your hiking much more.

I'm part of a group of pals that start long after work hikes in late January, prepping for whatever hiking/climbing activities are coming up in spring and summer. We did a fantastic 14-miler last night around Denver city trails, the third in a series of 7-8 such walks; we progress 10-12-14-16-18-20-20, close to that. Yeah, being after work, those long ones run late! But nothing works better to get ready for spring/summer hiking.

I'm not saying step machines and such are a complete waste of time, these have their place in crappy winter weather, it's just that actual walking is so much better for long distance hike training.

Longboysfan
02-10-2017, 12:12
Thanks Rob.

I think I'm getting out there and working on my legs refereeing soccer a lot.

I'm also cross training with my bike, running and weighted pack walking.

I'll look to take weighted pack, boots and find stadium steps to walk up on.

glenlawson
02-18-2017, 11:17
do you use poles? as I got a little older I found that my knees aren't as forgiving on the downhills. I can get trained to the point where I can truck on up the hills, but once I start downhill, my knees are really screaming. the poles take about 25% off my legs and really make a difference.

park at the far end of the parking lot and if you get a cold rainy day, go outside and prepare a meal. who knows what the end of March will bring to Georgia. might be 80, might be 40.

Engine
02-18-2017, 11:29
do you use poles? as I got a little older I found that my knees aren't as forgiving on the downhills. I can get trained to the point where I can truck on up the hills, but once I start downhill, my knees are really screaming. the poles take about 25% off my legs and really make a difference....

+1 Old knees and downhills don't mix.

Dogwood
02-18-2017, 12:28
...I did almost nothing last year in training - just boots breaking in my feet. Ouch.
Then got out there and hiked up a storm for two days plus. Till weather got us....

...if you get a cold rainy day, go outside and prepare a meal. who knows what the end of March will bring to Georgia. might be 80, might be 40.

1) Blisters from "breaking in" boots may be a sign of improper footwear. If you're not getting blisters running, WEARING RUNNING SHOES, what might that be telling you?

2) The DFW suburbs is where you live. I've seen the signs for Roanoke traveling through DFW. It's more fair weathered than what you will likely experience in March in N GA. You've already said "weather got you." Everyone always says work out, get out, and practice hike. NO! That can leave out a lot! If working out is indoors or only under favorable weather conditions you're not mentally and physically preparing. Get out and do day hikes and at least a couple overnighters when it's really cold for DFW and raining! Snow is also something you should practice in for for an AT March hike. Glen Lawson is absolutely correct. March can bring anything in N Ga! What this will do, as Liz "Snorkel" Thomas said in the Jan 2017 Backpacker issue(pg. 31): "True story: You're going to encounter bad weather on your thru-hike(hike), so get psyched for it now by going on training hikes when it's raining or windy. Not only will you get mentally prepared, but you'll also dial in your layering system."

Longboysfan
02-24-2017, 12:43
do you use poles? as I got a little older I found that my knees aren't as forgiving on the downhills. I can get trained to the point where I can truck on up the hills, but once I start downhill, my knees are really screaming. the poles take about 25% off my legs and really make a difference.

park at the far end of the parking lot and if you get a cold rainy day, go outside and prepare a meal. who knows what the end of March will bring to Georgia. might be 80, might be 40.

Yes. I'll have poles. I'll start training with them in a few weeks. I found that on the flats and slow down hills I was not using them as much.

I found out last year they are great for balance on bad spots on the trail.

I've been practicing the meal making also.

Longboysfan
02-24-2017, 12:47
The boots from last year are now broken in.
I'm out running about on soccer fields which while not trail walking get's my stamina up to a good level.
I was active about 12 hours last weekend with soccer and practice hiking.
I went back and looked at my steps while practice hiking.
I was hitting the same number within 50 steps from the start, when I thought I was moving fast, till the end when I thought I was dragging.
Go figure.

I know I was tired at the end of the hike on Sunday.