PDA

View Full Version : Day Hike - Approach Trail

franky
02-02-2017, 17:42
Before anyone gets angry with me for being redundant, I researched this question before posting.

I am in GA for business. Thinking about driving to Amicolola this weekend and hiking the approach trail up and back. Is this doable?

Next question - is it worth it? Would I be better off driving to another point and checking out a different piece of trail?

Much appreciated.

soumodeler
02-02-2017, 17:56
Doable in a day? Sure. Start about 9 and you should be back down by 5 easily.

But why? Hike Blood Mountain or Preachers Rock. Easier and better views.

FreeGoldRush
02-02-2017, 18:16
Before anyone gets angry with me for being redundant, I researched this question before posting.

I am in GA for business. Thinking about driving to Amicolola this weekend and hiking the approach trail up and back. Is this doable?

Next question - is it worth it? Would I be better off driving to another point and checking out a different piece of trail?

Much appreciated.

Yes, I did it just a few months ago. You can drive to the drop of the falls and skip the first 0.9 miles and 710 feet if you want a more enjoyable hike. The hike from the top of the falls to Springer and back is nice.

cutter
02-02-2017, 18:23
I have to go with soumodeler on this one. Skip the falls and you've skipped the best part of the approach trail. Beyond that it's a pretty easy but not especially interesting hike.

thestin
02-02-2017, 19:00
When I lived in Georgia I did this hike several times. You will have some views as the leaves are off the trees. One of my favorite hikes, even with the limited views.

FreeGoldRush
02-02-2017, 19:09
On your way back down, about half way, take a left onto the Hike Inn trail. It reconnects with the approach trail again at the parking area at the top of the falls. Stop by the Hike Inn briefly (cool place). The views on that trail are better than on the approach trail, especially this time of year. That gives you some nice variety on the way back to your car.

franky
02-02-2017, 21:56
Thanks all!

Slo-go'en
02-02-2017, 22:04
Kind of a long hike for this time of year. 16 miles round trip if you do the whole thing, 14 if you skip the falls. Bring a headlamp!

Cookerhiker
02-02-2017, 22:04
Yes, you can do it, especially if you start up by the lodge instead of the base of the falls. I just did it last February 29 and my girlfriend, who had never hiked more than 8 miles in one day, hiked it with me although she was pretty tired.

If she can do it and I can do it, then you can do it. Get an early start.

jcreamer
02-02-2017, 22:59
This is certainly one mans opinion. But, other than the falls and the Hike Inn, I did not find this hike real special. I've done it and checked it off the list. But I agree with soumodeler that there are other hikes that are much more scenic. However, you will get great pics of the falls and of course the obligatory pic with the Springer plaque on top of the mountain. Good luck and have fun.

Elaikases
02-03-2017, 08:45
This is certainly one mans opinion. But, other than the falls and the Hike Inn, I did not find this hike real special. I've done it and checked it off the list. But I agree with soumodeler that there are other hikes that are much more scenic. However, you will get great pics of the falls and of course the obligatory pic with the Springer plaque on top of the mountain. Good luck and have fun.

I did it as a "what the heck" hike, and to check it off a list.

I think that for checking it off the list, you can't beat the hike.

Longboysfan
02-03-2017, 16:16
But why? Hike Blood Mountain or Preachers Rock. Easier and better views.

Reminder - there is a reason they call it Blood Mountain.

Look at the tree in front of the Hostel at Neel's Gap. :eek:

tunnelbear
02-03-2017, 20:33
If you haven't been there, a visit to Mountain Crossings (Neel Gap) and hike up to Blood Mountain is a doable afternoon hike. Seeing the start of the approach trail (ie. arch) at Amicoloa and falls is also pretty cool ... the view from the lodge there is worth a quick detour as well. If you just want to see the start of the trial you can drive to within .9 mile of Springer.

glenlawson
02-04-2017, 14:13
If you are out today or tomorrow, it is chilly but beautiful. Give us a report of this hike or whatever hike you decided to take this weekend!

Deacon
02-07-2017, 09:31
Just hiking up the falls makes this a great hike. Beyond that, the trail is exhilarating as it is uphill all the way, yet the tread way is quite easy in the sense the trail is flat - almost no roots or rocks.

Elaikases
02-07-2017, 09:37
When I did the approach trail on my last section hike, I ran into someone who does it up and back every-so-often and who was doing it again. So some people do the trail up and back.