PDA

View Full Version : July Section Hike sleeping gear

JC13
02-03-2017, 12:15
So the plan is to head NOBO again this July. We did Springer - Dicks Creek Gap last year and learned a lot about what we needed to carry, resupply is much better than carrying all your food for the entire trip, and other random things. In an effort to drop weight I have hit a quandary on what to do for sleep system this year.

Last year I carried a mummy liner to sleep in, a light baselayer top and bottom, and socks. We carried a stupid heavy 6 lb tent for the two of us. I had one night out of 8 were I actually was cool enough to get in the liner and that was with wearing only running shorts. I had one other were putting on dry socks was plenty.

This year we have a different shelter that has a copious amount of mesh compared to last year's. I was also looking at getting a quilt liner from Dutchware Gear as my sleeping bag. My concern is that the combination of the tent, bag and moving further north may require a light baselayer and/or a sweater weight puffy. I have all the items but the Dutch liner.

So here is where I am curious, thoughts on what combination of gear for the sleep system. I sleep very hot and with either combination I will have a pair of running shorts and socks for sleep.

A. I was looking at bringing just the liner. It weighs 26.63 oz (terrible, I know)
B. Base layer top and bottom + the Dutch liner. 15.28 oz
C. Base + Sweater-weight puffy + Dutch liner. 23.28oz

A seems ridiculous after writing this out other than the fact I already own it.
B seems like the winner but higher elevation in NC + the better ventilation of the tent makes me wonder if C isn't the "safer" bet.

If I go with B, I am looking at a 23.5 lb skin-out weight with 3 days of food and 2 liters of water.

Thoughts?

JC13
02-03-2017, 14:23
Realized while out walking that I didn't mention the section(s) we are looking at.

Dicks Creek Gap - GSMNP South boundary
or
GSMNP South boundary - Hot Springs, NC

Rmcpeak
02-03-2017, 15:56
In high summer in VA and NC I have gone with no insulation layer but a 40 deg synth EE quilt. In VA last summer it was too hot for the quilt and now I'm looking for something a little lighter still. I know there could be a cold snap but I check weather and pack accordingly....

For sake of discussion, here's my summer list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VWlEhwRNFvJsoj3GSRdYFqDjqAup_uTSLiuXM2LIPgM/edit?usp=sharing

I have not thru hiked. I've got about 600 miles of sections under my belt, including a couple of 100+ mile sections.

Rmcpeak
02-03-2017, 15:57
The list assumes 3 days of food and 2 liters water. But I almost never actually carry 2 liters of water and I'm more likely to start/resupply with 2.5 days of food -- not 3 full meals for 3 days.

JC13
02-03-2017, 16:18
Thanks for that! Here is what I have, missing a couple of items I keep forgetting to weigh and add.

https://lighterpack.com/r/a095rr

G-FOURce
02-03-2017, 18:16
I suspect its cumbersome to investigate, but wouldnt it be best to estimate what you believe the low temp range might be during the trip before deciding what sleepwear and/or sleep gear to use? It seems like youre trying to solve for X with no educated assessment of what X might be. I know you'll never be spot-on accurate when guesstimating future climatic conditions, but you could at least use historical data to forecast a reasonable expectation and then plan accordingly. If the data tells you that the range for low temps would likely be 45-50* then your clothing and gear choices would be dramatically different if the data suggests 65-70* lows.

JC13
02-03-2017, 18:59
That's actually what I did last year, just seeing if there are educated opinions out there as it is a pain trying to extrapolate temps since you have to go by nearby weather stations and then account for the elevation difference. For instance last year it showed that 60 was pretty much the coldest it would get unless some extreme freak storm hit.

G-FOURce
02-03-2017, 19:29
That's actually what I did last year, just seeing if there are educated opinions out there as it is a pain trying to extrapolate temps since you have to go by nearby weather stations and then account for the elevation difference. For instance last year it showed that 60 was pretty much the coldest it would get unless some extreme freak storm hit.

I do that for every trip. Its tedious for longer trips over greater distances where you have to find the closest stations and elevation profiles. However, if you can find the highest elevation along the route and the average temps along the distance that still seems like a better play.

JC13
02-03-2017, 19:58
That is a good call and should give me an idea of the coldest it could possibly get, Thanks!

LDog
02-09-2017, 09:03
Look at backpacking quilts from folks like HammockGear and Enlightened Equipment. They make down "top" quilts in various degree options, overfill options, custom colors ... You can have a foot pocket sewn, or formed with snaps. My 40* HammockGear Burrow has snaps and can be opened up flat. I asked Adam to make it a bit wider, cause I'd be ground dwelling, and I'm a side sleeper. It weighs 14.5 oz. Depending on expected temps, I'll carry a base layer to sleep in. Can always add more clothing ... make sure your sleeping pad has an r factor sufficient for the expected temps too ...

Here's something's little wonky I wrote on estimating temps for trips
http://www.laughingdog.com/2014/05/how-cold-could-it-get.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JC13
02-09-2017, 09:30
I appreciate that! I found the link I had saved to Skurka's clothing estimator system as well and it looks like it still has the potential to drop into the 40's in the Smokies late spring, summer, and early fall so the sweater-weight puffy is back in and looks like the liner I have is technically equivalent to a 50-55 degree bag. Pushes my total to just over 25 lbs, wife said no more gear unless I sell some journals I have been making.

daddytwosticks
02-09-2017, 16:27
If you want to go the cheap way, use your puffy (and a warm hat) and maybe try and find a surplus army poncho liner. May be warmer than the liner and about the same weight. I'm pretty sure you can get them for a song at any military surplus outlet. :)

JC13
02-09-2017, 18:52
If you want to go the cheap way, use your puffy (and a warm hat) and maybe try and find a surplus army poncho liner. May be warmer than the liner and about the same weight. I'm pretty sure you can get them for a song at any military surplus outlet. :)Thank you sir! There is one about 10-15 minutes from my house I will have to go checkout.