PDA

View Full Version : Tax refund coming - Time to buy!

One Half
02-03-2017, 22:35
We did our taxes yesterday and we are getting a decent refund of some of our stolen money. Now to be good consumers and buy some stuff. Oh, and I weighed my sleeping bag and tent both of which I have been carrying for a while. I guess I forgot how heavy they really are! My tent was an upgrade a few years ago and definitely lighter than what I had been carrying but not by much. I think it's time for a new bag and tent. Maybe some UL options.

So what are y'all going to buy if you get a tax refund?

Lone Wolf
02-03-2017, 22:39
golf equipment

Sarcasm the elf
02-03-2017, 22:59
golf equipment
:D

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/c1/92/95/c19295ae35992aaf3dedf629fc3e3911.jpg

Sarcasm the elf
02-03-2017, 22:59

Mine's going straight into a 529 plan.

Maineiac64
02-03-2017, 23:02
http://zpacks.com

gracebowen
02-03-2017, 23:07
A door for my house an electric outlet for my dryer a new ti me fridge and driving school for my daughter.
Oh also a food dehydrator and about 500 bucks on extra groceries to stock up.

pesphoto
02-03-2017, 23:23
...just bought a JRB Sniveller with some of my refund !

fastfoxengineering
02-04-2017, 01:29
A new .243 Winchester rifle be Ruger. Gladly put my already EARNED money into a solid American made product made by American workers. Plus the factory is not far from where I live.

Might get some new hiking clothes

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

hmkr
02-04-2017, 02:16
As a single, middle income male, getting $1.00 back.

One Half
02-04-2017, 02:37
A door for my house an electric outlet for my dryer a new ti me fridge and driving school for my daughter.
Oh also a food dehydrator and about 500 bucks on extra groceries to stock up.

You must be getting a larger refund than I am!

Engine
02-04-2017, 05:47
Added to savings and then probably poured into the Roth IRA, maybe after the hike.

Decibel
02-04-2017, 08:10
Zpacks Altaplex in camo, Hammock Gear Cuben tarp with doors in camo. I flip back and forth. Also a new pack HMG Southwest 3400 in black. Thank you Uncle Sam. As you can see I'm not married.

cmoulder
02-04-2017, 08:20
Thank you Uncle Sam. As you can see I'm not married.

A large refund represents your interest-free loan to the government. Better to adjust withholding and keep it in your accounts rather than Uncle Sam's. :rolleyes:

However with practically zero interest paid on most savings accounts these days, there's a good argument for letting Uncle keep it because it's harder to access and therefore it's safely out of temptation's range.

egilbe
02-04-2017, 09:03
I keep my tax refund below $200 so its pretty much going to buy dinner. Im with cmoulder. No interest free loans to the gubmint.

ALLEGHENY
02-04-2017, 09:28
We did our taxes yesterday and we are getting a decent refund of some of our stolen money. Now to be good consumers and buy some stuff. Oh, and I weighed my sleeping bag and tent both of which I have been carrying for a while. I guess I forgot how heavy they really are! My tent was an upgrade a few years ago and definitely lighter than what I had been carrying but not by much. I think it's time for a new bag and tent. Maybe some UL options.

Pay other county, local and school taxes

Cheyou
02-04-2017, 09:31
A large refund represents your interest-free loan to the government. Better to adjust withholding and keep it in your accounts rather than Uncle Sam's. :rolleyes:

However with practically zero interest paid on most savings accounts these days, there's a good argument for letting Uncle keep it because it's harder to access and therefore it's safely out of temptation's range.

sounds like a upper middle class perspective on taxes and returns. Seems to me hikers are mostly in the mid to upper income bracket like runners . But I'm often wrong. :0)

Thom

colorado_rob
02-04-2017, 09:39
Pay other county, local and school taxesHah! Same here, plus both our vehicles' licenses fees are due right about the same time in February, about 4 grand all told of taxes due in Feb/March, PLUS on April 15th I have to pay back the interest free loan we get from the Gubmint because we purposely under-withhold every year... but all that being said, this is indeed the time of year we also buy the most gear.

cmoulder
02-04-2017, 09:40
Regardless of income level it is still your money that you are lending to your Uncle at no interest.

This is not so much a perspective as it is a fact, although one that many people don't think about. What always gets me thinking about this is when people say "Thank you, Uncle Sam" and I think "Thank you for what?? It's your money that you've overpaid!" ;)

cmoulder
02-04-2017, 09:41
but all that being said, this is indeed the time of year we also buy the most gear.

And what a miracle of timing with the REI dividend notices! :D

MtDoraDave
02-04-2017, 09:42
As much as I'd like to spend it on cool new hiking supplies, I should probably use it to pay off the credit card I had to use last month to fix the truck. Any left over should go toward my plane ticket for this Fall, flying out to CA to hike in the Sierras.

Decibel
02-04-2017, 10:15
Cmolder you are indeed correct that it is an interest free loan to the government. It is also a way of forced savings for me enabling me to afford lightweight gear towards an upcoming thru hike. I did the Long Trail several years ago and as I get older and slower lightweight gear becomes much more important to me. This form of forced savings works for me and I'm fine with it.

DuneElliot
02-04-2017, 10:17

I keep my tax refund below $200 so its pretty much going to buy dinner. Im with cmoulder. No interest free loans to the gubmint.

sounds like a upper middle class perspective on taxes and returns. Seems to me hikers are mostly in the mid to upper income bracket like runners . But I'm often wrong. :0)

Thom

What cmoulder and egilbe said. I'd rather have my money in my hands so my refund is only $200. It will go straight into savings.

I'm certainly on the low end of the income scale. Makes more sense to have more money, earning at least a little interest, in your own pocket than the government's!!!

Tuckahoe
02-04-2017, 10:27
Have all the hiking gear I want... tax return gets to be extra spending money for Eurotrip II.

Sarcasm the elf
02-04-2017, 10:32
Have all the hiking gear I want... tax return gets to be extra spending money for Eurotrip II.

They made a sequel to Eurotrip?

RangerZ
02-04-2017, 10:40

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/c1/92/95/c19295ae35992aaf3dedf629fc3e3911.jpg

Do they make a cuben fiber version?

Tuckahoe
02-04-2017, 10:40
Its in production now and will be filmed this summer in Amsterdam using a Motorola Droid Turbo. Oh and I am the executive producer, director, and star... I am just now sure about showing my boobies on screen :bse:bse

jgillam
02-04-2017, 12:13
My families refund will go to the same place as every other spare dime we have...the mortgage principal. Two more years and we will be free. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gracebowen
02-04-2017, 14:39
Well Im gonna go ahead and post this. My refund is not a dime of taxes I paid. I live at or beloy the poveryy level. If it offends someone thats your right but its all Earned Income Credit.

I raised my two kids by myself after my husband left me and signed away his rights. I also take care of my disabled mom. We make just a little too much to qualify for food stamps so I appreciate my tax credit very much.

gracebowen
02-04-2017, 14:40
And am still raising.

Mags
02-04-2017, 14:55
I suspect this is where my tax refund is going.... :)

https://youtu.be/_E-QOimQgi8 (https://youtu.be/_E-QOimQgi8)

Sarcasm the elf
02-04-2017, 15:11
I suspect this is where my tax refund is going.... :)

https://youtu.be/_E-QOimQgi8 (https://youtu.be/_E-QOimQgi8)

That song popped into my head before I even clicked the link.

Needless to say we have a similarly dorky sense of humor.:D

MuddyWaters
02-04-2017, 15:52
The average family is grossly under-saved for both emergencies and retirement

26% have no savings at all
36% have no retirement savings
The average bank account balance is $4400
38 million households live paycheck to paycheck, in spite of average $41000 income

It would seem...living beyond ones means is a way of life for a lot of folks these days

but Id bet they all have smartphones and flat screen tvs.......

treating things like tax refunds or bonuses as windfalls...and spending immediately on vacations, items, etc is one type of person
another type of person just saves as much as possible...all the time, and only buys what they can afford with routine income.

Not suggesting anything wrong with the former. But its a bit like smokers and non smokers. Brains of smokers are wired differently, to prefer short term rewards. Or psychologists used to say once. These things are debateable and change over time.

Personally, I have never looked for things to spend money on just because of getting money.
From bonus at work, to refunds, to hazard pay from overseas jobs, to money when parents died
Not once did how to spend $ ever cross my mind. Just goes into savings. Theres nothing I want to spend money on.
Im not a smoker either.
Buddy of mine bought new truck and 40' boat when his mom died and he got money from her house.......

Sarcasm the elf
02-04-2017, 15:55

38 million households live paycheck to paycheck, in spite of average $41000 income

It would seem...living beyond ones means is a way of life for a lot of folks these days

Seems like a good lead-in to plug MMM

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com

Mags
02-04-2017, 16:18
That song popped into my head before I even clicked the link.

Needless to say we have a similarly dorky sense of humor.:D

Indeed!

Wierd Al....still relevant well into my adulthood!!!

treating things like tax refunds or bonuses as windfalls...

I was saving half my take home income.... See above... ;)

(Getting punch drunk at this time...)

pesphoto
02-04-2017, 16:30
and all ur gear was free....

treating things like tax refunds or bonuses as windfalls...and spending immediately on vacations, items, etc is one type of person
another type of person just saves as much as possible...all the time, and only buys what they can afford with routine income.

Not suggesting anything wrong with the former. But its a bit like smokers and non smokers. Brains of smokers are wired differently, to prefer short term rewards. Or psychologists used to say once. These things are debateable and change over time.

Personally, I have never looked for things to spend money on just because of getting money.
From bonus at work, to refunds, to hazard pay from overseas jobs, to money when parents died
Not once did how to spend $ ever cross my mind. Just goes into savings. Theres nothing I want to spend money on.
Im not a smoker either.
Buddy of mine bought new truck and 40' boat when his mom died and he got money from her house.......

MuddyWaters
02-04-2017, 16:40
and all ur gear was free....

No idea what you mean
I buy gear, I choose to afford, out of regular income

Everyone has unexpected expenses that offset "windfall" income
My daughter had root canal re-done in jan., $800 after insurance
She had surgery for kidney stone in Nov., $2500 after insurance
I put new engine in truck a year ago...$4400

Things happen, with alarming regularity
Most people have to pay with credit cards when this stuff happens
I just pay cash, because I have it, I didnt waste it splurging unnecessarilly.
Thats the way I choose to live, denying myself luxuries to stay out of debt.

And also why I dont appreciate footing the bill for others that live beyond their means, but cant pay for their own needs when the time comes.

Mags
02-04-2017, 17:24
“Do not be in a hurry to spend money on new inventions. Every year there is put upon the market some patent knapsack, folding stove, cooking-utensil, or camp trunk and cot combined; and there are always for sale patent knives, forks, and spoons all in one, drinking-cups, folding portfolios, and marvels of tools. Let them all alone”
How to Camp Out by John Mead Gould (http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/17575), 1877

If you have some of your money coming back, I'd rather use to it for gas, airfare, lodging or similar to go on a trip personally. :)

Thom

My grandfather (construction) and my Dad (Sheetmetal) invested part of their pre-tax income into stock savings plans or similar.

Guess they did not realize being wise with money was strictly for "professionals" :D

MuddyWaters
02-04-2017, 17:33
“Do not be in a hurry to spend money on new inventions. Every year there is put upon the market some patent knapsack, folding stove, cooking-utensil, or camp trunk and cot combined; and there are always for sale patent knives, forks, and spoons all in one, drinking-cups, folding portfolios, and marvels of tools. Let them all alone”
How to Camp Out by John Mead Gould (http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/17575), 1877

The industrial revolution. Abouts that time my grandmothers grandfather patented a combination tackle AND bait box. I mean, the tackle box had a compartment for worms or crickets in it. High tech stuff...airholes and all. It obviously didnt reshape fishing ....

Hosh
02-04-2017, 19:37

If you have some of your money coming back, I'd rather use to it for gas, airfare, lodging or similar to go on a trip personally. :)

My grandfather (construction) and my Dad (Sheetmetal) invested part of their pre-tax income into stock savings plans or similar.

Guess they did not realize being wise with money was strictly for "professionals" :D

So many define themselves as a victim, they decide that they are oppressed and must have gotten a raw deal. Combined with a culture that encourages "participation ribbons" and vilifies the wealthy and successful as the oppressor.
Thankfully many still view the world with opportunistic eyes and create their own future.

JC13
02-04-2017, 19:46
I have my withholding set so I usually break almost exactly even between State and Federal, I usually owe one $50 and the other owes me $50. That's not always the exact number but it is pretty close.

gracebowen
02-04-2017, 21:14
I have a cheap 50 dollar smart phone. I also have an older 1st gen flat screen i bought at the thrift store fir $40.
I dont use credit. My car breaks down it sits till I get the cash to buy parts. Thankfully my brother provides labor. My car is a 2k cask car. Last year when my hot water heater went out we went without hot water for months till the tax money came so I could buy a new one. I dont live beyond my means.

I havent had a dryer for 4 years. Ive been hanging my clothes to dry. There was always something more important to buy or fix. I have no flooring in my house. I painted the wood with deck coat.
Nothing I listed was a luxury. The dehydrator is so I can make fruit snacks for my son, dehydratr fresh produce and hopefully eventually food for the trail.

30,000 for 5 people makes life tough sometimes and yeah I have no savings. My son is also not going on a field trip to DC because it cost 1700.

If I ever get to hike it will be with cheap gear because I cant buy anything else. Dont worry though I was raised with manners so anything I take to the trail i will take with me if I quit blue poly tarp and all.

Hikingjim
02-04-2017, 21:22
Owe a bunch due to more self-employment this year... guess I need to sell some people some of my latest gear purchases instead!

gracebowen
02-04-2017, 21:25
Sorry. Had to post to subscribe to thread.

hobby
02-04-2017, 22:05
http://www.daveramsey.com/store/prodtmmoclassic.html?ictid=aw05
should be required reading for every young adult
(I am not Dave Ramsey!!) lol

MuddyWaters
02-05-2017, 03:00

Dont Know nothing about that

But our economy depends on majority of people wasting money on crap they dont need...

Cheyou
02-05-2017, 06:55

ha ha ha well ok then

thom

jgillam
02-05-2017, 08:29

I wholeheartedly agree!
(I am also not Dave Ramsey) [emoji851]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MtDoraDave
02-05-2017, 09:21
Living beyond my means has been my lifestyle for most of my life. Actually saving money is relatively new to me. I am in the process of paying off all debt AND saving money for a thru hike while also putting money into an IRA. It has left me with quite a bit less pocket money to buy whatever strikes my fancy at the moment (restaurants, clothes, electronics, etc). It is a "grown up" feeling, being all responsible and stuff. That said, I still have my taxes set up in a way that I get a "bonus", and the "extra" money each spring is a nice boost to my emergency account that I may not have had the discipline to put money in each week faithfully.

One Half
02-05-2017, 11:48
Well this turned into a very interesting thread. Got a whole lecture on money and basically told I should be saving my refund. Let's just say it's my money and I can do what I want. Thanks for the assumptions though. While I would prefer to owe a small amount, I'll gladly take what they owe me. When I didn't save money on a regular basis this refund would have gone into savings. However, that's not the case and I actually had delayed a purchase of a new bag last year for various reasons.

This thread was to see what gear purchases people may have had in mind. I will be purchasing a new sleeping bag, a 40 deg from zpacks and a new solo tent, zpacks solplex, when the money gets here. And the rest will probably go into savings.

So those of you who have gear purchases planned, what are you buying?

Ethesis
02-05-2017, 12:35
REI has a new one kilo bag that goes to 20 degrees and is synthetic.

Id give it a look, test it for actual weight and how low a temperature it really handles.

If it works it is a huge breakthrough.

I liked the way it looked, just not sure if it is as warm
ss advertised.

Otherwise: http://sectionhiker.com/granite-gear-crown-2-60l-backpack-review/

My wife just tried one. She thought her Gregory Diva carried 30 pounds well.

Much to her surprise, trying both on in the store reflected that the Granite actually felt much lighter with the same load.

That was a shock. I'd try one out. Again, REI carries them so you can buy one, load it up with a twentyfive pound sack of flour or sugar or rice, and then hike ten miles a night with it for a week and see if it carries better than your current pack. For a kilo pack it was more comfortable than some five pound packs at thirty pounds of load.

But, your body and fit will vary.

Ethesis
02-05-2017, 12:42
Hmm. The two kilo weight is for the short.

Better details than the store display for your range:

https://www.rei.com/product/894999/rei-co-op-trail-pod-29-sleeping-bag

Mags
02-05-2017, 13:53
Well this turned into a very interesting thread.

Yes it did. THanks for starting on it. I don't think it turned into a lecture. It turned into a very interesting thread...as you said.

The thread title was "TAX REFUND COMING- TIME TO BUY"

Some of us were like, eh...no..

Gear purchase planned:

Starbucks Via
Gas for my car
Oil change
Maps

Lets me go on trips.... :)

And, now, some humor:

One Half
02-05-2017, 17:39
That was funny Mags.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-06-2017, 00:11
I'll be using my refund to mostly pay bills, but part of it always goes to providing my husband with a vacation fitting the effort he puts forth all year. For myself, it funds the occasional Trail Angel trip.

As for gear, I played my finances very carefully in the past year with an REI card. I bought EVERYTHING with it....EVERYTHING. But since I matched each and every purchase with a payment, all that remains is a very nice dividend coming my way! Yes, I plan on "buying" some gear this year!! I don't know what, or even for whom, but I fully intend to enjoy the purchase!

shelb
02-06-2017, 00:26
Yes! This year, I am not sure what to do... I am thinking to stay status quo... and get the hiking poles I left in the shuttle last year, and maybe look at a new sleep system. My Rainbow Tarptent, purchased used, is in pretty rough condition. While I prefer shelters, I want to have something in case I can't make it to a shelter, or the shelter is too full.... I did try hammocking last summer, and I liked it; however, I think it will be more weight in the end.

Gambit McCrae
02-06-2017, 09:05
Paying off my zeroturn to start cutting grass after work this summer. Gubmint free money

QiWiz
02-06-2017, 12:23
With a tax refund I'm going to get a Zpacks shelter.