PDA

View Full Version : Springer to Justus Creek too much a day one stretch?

ATaBoy
02-04-2017, 18:44
I will be staying at Hiker Hostel to be transferred to USFS 42 parking lot below the Springer summit about 9:30 am. That of course will obligate me to hike south up to the summit to then do an about face north at about 10:00 am. So it's adding another mile onto the mileage log that day. Anyway Hawk shelter is about eight miles from the summit and Justus Creek camp area is 14.4 miles according to Dave.My conditioning is good with running and test hikes( I have done four at a little more than sixteen miles on terrain with some features and will do three more with those mild ups and downs at elevation of 800 feet.) I have back packed in Colorado before but find myself wondering if a push to Justus Creek is too much stretch for day one? That is what I want to do. Any and all thoughts very much appreciated

colorado_rob
02-04-2017, 19:42
That is exactly what I did in 2013, then hiking the 2nd day the 16 miles to Neel gap, perfect itinerary IMHO. We (my wife and I) plan on doing the exact same thing this year.

What's nice about Justice creek is that is typically further than most want to do on there first day of hiking; most stay at that shelter at 7-ish miles (gooch?), when I walked by that shelter in 2013 it was a complete zoo. I shared the Justice creek CG with only one other tent. This was early April, near the middle of a hiker "bubble".

Many will now tell you to take it easy starting out, and that is generally sage advice for a lot of hikers. Some of us are in hiking shape when we hit the trail. Even if you're in only moderate shape, really, 14 miles over fair easy terrain ain't that difficult.

ElCid94
02-04-2017, 21:21
What is your start date? On March 25th, the sun will set at 7:52 P.M with last light 25 minutes later. If you start at 9:30 A.M., you will have about 10.5 hours of hike time. Factor in breaks, lunch, taking some photos at the first white blaze, and signing the register under the rock. Deduct 1 hour for all of that. The leaves 9.5 hours of actual hiking. At a rate of just over 1.6 miles per hour, you could reach your campsite at Justus Creek in time to set up before dark. With that said, I think this is an ambitious plan as you will be stopping just .7 miles short of the Gooch Mountain Shelter, a pretty common end point for day two. If your goal was to avoid a bubble, you will have caught up to most of those who started one day before you. You can always reassess your plan at Hawk Mountain Shelter. You could also consider using your shuttle service to drop your pack at Hightower Gap before heading to Springer. That would allow you to slack for the first 9.2 miles. Regardless, have fun. I am envious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FreeGoldRush
02-04-2017, 21:32
Based on what you wrote I believe you will be fine. I have hiked this area more than once. No surprises on the trail here. It just goes up hill and down hill. Rocks and roots aren't enough to slow you down. It's not easy but there aren't any surprises either.

Dan Roper
02-04-2017, 21:50
The first park - from Springer down to Three Forks and the falls - is lovely and fun and easy. It's so easy that it makes the newcomer think, "Hey, this backpacking business is a lark!" But it's a great way to start. The falls is a nice place for lunch or a rest stop.

From there to Hawk Mountain and then on to Horse Gap is rolling, with enough difficulty to allow the reality of the trip to set in. Then the climb up Sassafras Mountain, after Horse Gap, is pretty stiff, especially if you're tired or the day happens to be hot or humid.

Until a trail relocation a few years back, there were two more tough (but short) climbs after Sassafras, but the third has been eliminated. Now the trail drops off the side of the ridge down to Justus Creek. There are tent sites on the north side of the creek.

Unless I've lost my memory completely, you don't reach Gooch Mountain Shelter until after Justus Creek, perhaps a mile or two. That shelter is very nice and very popular.

glenlawson
02-07-2017, 07:54
( I have done four at a little more than sixteen miles on terrain with some features and will do three more with those mild ups and downs at elevation of 800 feet.)

I would suggest putting 5 lbs more in your pack for the shake down hike than you plan to carry. Start at 10 am and see how you finish that day.

It can be done, sounds like mostly it will be mental, how will you handle hiking past people who have called it quits for the day? Just remember, the morning of the first day always takes longer than you plan. Just walk steady.

rafe
02-07-2017, 09:34
Certainly doable if you have your act together and nothing goes wrong. If the trail is slick, maybe back off a bit.

Most thru hiker wannabes go slow for the first few days.

If you're resourceful (and hopefully in keeping with LNT) you can camp almost anywhere*, so shelters and marked campsites need not be taken as requirements.

(*not between Jarrard Gap and Neel Gap in hiking season, w/o a bear canister. But true in general for the AT from Springer to Fontana.)

ggreaves
02-07-2017, 14:31
It's too far for me, but I'm fat and out of shape and the second half of that walk is a bit tougher than the first half. Make sure you camel up at hawk mountain because you can't count on any water for the next 6 miles. Once you're over Justus it's pretty much coasting to justus creek. It looked like a nice spot to camp there. Much better than Gooch Mountain shelter. If it's busy, you'll be hard pressed to find any level ground there to set up a tent.

johnspenn
02-07-2017, 20:22
Not too far if you're in good shape. My wife and I hiked from Three Forks to Justus Creek last July and it was pretty warm that day. As stated earlier, be prepared for the dry stretch along the way although often some trail angels leave water at Cooper Gap, but don't count on that.