PDA

View Full Version : Walking from Chattanooga to Amicalola Falls

Rattlayitdown
02-05-2017, 04:22
So, I'm thinking about selling my truck to my Dad and taking a Greyhound as close to the trail as possible. I'm from IN and the bus to Gainesville is 22 hrs because of backtracking and layovers. The ride to Atlanta would be too far away. Marietta, GA is around 16 hrs, same price as ATL. The shortest ride time and cheapest ticket would be Chattanooga. I would have to walk about 87 miles which is probably nothing considering I'm attempting 2,200, LOL. Just wondering if that area was cool to walk through. Looks like it will be around camping areas vs if I walked from ATL. I'd rather walk than pay $80 for a shuttle. Considering Greyhound isn't even charging that much.

ALLEGHENY
02-05-2017, 07:52
So, I'm thinking about selling my truck to my Dad and taking a Greyhound as close to the trail as possible. I'm from IN and the bus to Gainesville is 22 hrs because of backtracking and layovers. The ride to Atlanta would be too far away. Marietta, GA is around 16 hrs, same price as ATL. The shortest ride time and cheapest ticket would be Chattanooga. I would have to walk about 87 miles which is probably nothing considering I'm attempting 2,200, LOL. Just wondering if that area was cool to walk through. Looks like it will be around camping areas vs if I walked from ATL. I'd rather walk than pay $80 for a shuttle. Considering Greyhound isn't even charging that much.

If if your dad has some free time, ask him to drive you in his new truck. Pay him for gas,food and lodging.

ALLEGHENY
02-05-2017, 08:20
If if your dad has some free time, ask him to drive you in his new truck. Pay him for gas,food and lodging.

So now that I had my morning coffee I see this wold cost you more money.

Spending time with my dad would have been priceless.

MuddyWaters
02-05-2017, 08:42
If you cant afford to get to the trail
Are you sure you can afford to hike it?

Clean the truck good and charge your old man $80 more for it.

Traffic Jam
02-05-2017, 08:51
Walking will take a whole lot longer and cost you more than taking the bus.

What route were you considering from Chattanooga?

Your mileage looks like it's based on walking on I75. You'll have to look at back roads which will take you even longer.

Rattlayitdown
02-05-2017, 12:28
Not really about the cost, more about being stuck on a bus for 22 hrs and then needing a shuttle after that. If I drove it would only take around 10 hrs but what would I do with my truck once I get there? I could try selling/donating it to someone nearby. My Dad doesn't like to leave the couch, let alone go on a trip. He really doesn't want me to do this, I'm 41 btw. I have thought about asking him but I know how he is. I was only going to sell him the truck so I wouldn't have to worry about leaving it somewhere for months.

Rattlayitdown
02-05-2017, 12:40
The walking directions are from my phone navigation, not on highway, starts on Brainerd, Red Cut Rd, Conasauga, etc. Bunch of small Rds goes to Elijay. 78 miles from Greyhound station.

Slo-go'en
02-05-2017, 12:48
Long road walks like that aren't much fun. Plus you'd be in serious risk of being run over on those back roads which are narrow and twisty. Locals who drive those roads everyday tend to go pretty fast and aren't on the look out for people in the road.

But once you got away from Chattanooga and on RT52, you might be able to hitch the rest of the way, as it's a straight shot from there.

Just for fun I asked Google for walking directions. The shortest distance is 85.1 miles which they estimate will take 29 hours. If you walked for a full 8 hours a day, that's 3.6 days of walking. You pass through a couple of towns along the way and you have to eat. Hopefully you can buy food along the way so you don't have to also carry 3 1/2 days of food and that will cost you almost as much as a shuttle.

Traffic Jam
02-05-2017, 14:11
You might find someone who wants to share a shuttle.

ALLEGHENY
02-05-2017, 15:43
Hang on.
After today, some Falcons fan from that area will answer you about how cool the road wak is.

WalkingYogi
02-05-2017, 16:34
I live in Chattanooga, just moved here. There are lots of hikers around here. Maybe check the Chattanooga sub-reddit or ask around to see if there is anyone from around here either also starting their hike around the same time or willing to do some pre-trail Trail Magic and give you a ride.

Slo-go'en
02-05-2017, 17:38
Another thing to consider is if you leave South Bend, IN on the 3 PM bus, you get to Chattanooga at 8 AM. That doesn't sound too bad until you realize there is a 2 hr 20m layover and bus transfer in Toledo, then a 30 minute layover and bus transfer at 12:15 AM in Cincinnati, a 30 minute layover at 3:10 AM, and another 30 minute layover at 5:25AM. Which basically means your not going to get much of any sleep overnight. And then your going to start a 3 1/2 day walk? The other options aren't much better.

gbolt
02-05-2017, 17:43
16 hrs. To Chattanooga vs. 22 to Gainesville is only 6 more, schedule it right and hopefully you can sleep the majority of it and then get to the trail and start hiking without a need to add another nights sleep. However, the deals for one night and transport to wherever you want is only $80 as someone mentioned. Well worth it to start on the right track from the start IMHO.

Dogwood
02-05-2017, 19:37
Mega Bus is cheaper. About $30 routes involve departing Indianapolis to Chattanooga or Nashville or Atlanta. It's a faster, I'd say more efficiently operated(Chinese I think), commuter oriented bus line compared to G hound but with a much more limited station/locations stops/ routes. I'd check by calling and carefully reviewing routes because, for example, the Ghound from Indy to Atlanta makes a stop in Dalton GA and Marietta GA so you don't have to go all the way to Atlanta. FWIW, the Pinhoti Trail runs through Dalton not far from where the G Hound stops(I've taken it from/to Dalton and made the walk personally) which connects to the AT via the BMT. Also, check because various routes, both Mega Bus and G Hound, make food stops that may not be listed on line where you can get off and not get back on which is similar to how I've saved some do re mi on air fares.

Before you https://us.megabus.com/JourneyResults.aspx?originCode=115&destinationCode=289&outboundDepartureDate=2%2f15%2f2017&inboundDepartureDate=&passengerCount=1&transportType=0&concessionCount=0&nusCount=0&outboundWheelchairSeated=0&outboundOtherDisabilityCount=0&inboundWheelchairSeated=0&inboundOtherDisabilityCount=0&outboundPcaCount=0&inboundPcaCount=0&promotionCode=&withReturn=0

Dogwood
02-05-2017, 19:46
Here's another clean conscience giving back suggestion. If you can get to Knoxville, the timing is right, and are willing to do some trail maintenance with the SWEAT or ROCKY TOP GSMNP Trail Crew in conjunction with the ATC and NPS, all a GREAT group of plugged in people!, they will pick you up in K ville transporting you to GSMNP just outside Gatlinburg. I've done this on the back and front end of hikes. Hauling those mega heavy packs of gear(they have loner gear) can be a good pre hike work out and plugged in source behind the scenes beta. It's a worthy cause and worth exploring for a budget conscience hiker.

Just change the itinerary to going SOBO to Amicalola Falls.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/conservation/trail-management/trail-crews/sweat-trail-crew

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/conservation/trail-management/trail-crews/rocky-top-trail-crew

generoll
02-05-2017, 23:31
try road walking where you are for a few days to see how you like it before you try it from Chattanooga. you can leave your car at Amicalola for 6 months and I believe you only pay the one time $5 fee. It's now run by a private corporation so that may have changed.

the dude abides
02-05-2017, 23:44
when are you heading down?

the dude abides
02-05-2017, 23:50

soumodeler
02-05-2017, 23:56
try road walking where you are for a few days to see how you like it before you try it from Chattanooga. you can leave your car at Amicalola for 6 months and I believe you only pay the one time $5 fee. It's now run by a private corporation so that may have changed.

long term parking is $55. Or $5 a day.

cliffordbarnabus
02-06-2017, 00:17
why not just start thumbing it from IN?

Rattlayitdown
02-06-2017, 00:49

I'm leaving after closing on my house, which will be either Feb 27 or 28. I'm not broke, just frugal. :)

Rattlayitdown
02-06-2017, 00:58
Mega Bus is cheaper. About $30 routes involve departing Indianapolis to Chattanooga or Nashville or Atlanta. It's a faster, I'd say more efficiently operated(Chinese I think), commuter oriented bus line compared to G hound but with a much more limited station/locations stops/ routes. I'd check by calling and carefully reviewing routes because, for example, the Ghound from Indy to Atlanta makes a stop in Dalton GA and Marietta GA so you don't have to go all the way to Atlanta. FWIW, the Pinhoti Trail runs through Dalton not far from where the G Hound stops(I've taken it from/to Dalton and made the walk personally) which connects to the AT via the BMT. Also, check because various routes, both Mega Bus and G Hound, make food stops that may not be listed on line where you can get off and not get back on which is similar to how I've saved some do re mi on air fares.

Before you https://us.megabus.com/JourneyResults.aspx?originCode=115&destinationCode=289&outboundDepartureDate=2%2f15%2f2017&inboundDepartureDate=&passengerCount=1&transportType=0&concessionCount=0&nusCount=0&outboundWheelchairSeated=0&outboundOtherDisabilityCount=0&inboundWheelchairSeated=0&inboundOtherDisabilityCount=0&outboundPcaCount=0&inboundPcaCount=0&promotionCode=&withReturn=0

Dalton is 29.5 hours. Yikes! Thanks for the info though.

Dogwood
02-06-2017, 02:27
Dalton is 29.5 hours. Yikes! Thanks for the info though.

You didn't do what I told you. Not on Mega Bus. Two trips from Indianapolis to Atlanta that take 10.5 hrs for $30 each. From Indianapolis to Chattanooga 8 hrs 45 mins for a damn cheap $20 one way. I dare you to show me public transportation from Indy to TN for less than that! If you want financially cheaper you're talking free. I don't do free. You didn't ask for free! I told you Mega Bus is more a LD efficient minded commuter bus line that if you're going to the states they run doesn't get any cheaper that I know. Heck, at those travel times and fares it gives you flexibility in spending money and time elsewhere on travel.

Make sure you're researching the correct Dalton in the correct state because I think G Hound runs to several towns called Dalton i.e.: Dalton GA, Dalton Mass...

Dogwood
02-06-2017, 02:30
You're closing(selling?) your house? Frugal is one thing. What you're suggesting is something else.

Miguelon
02-06-2017, 04:01
Indianapolis to Atlanta on SW Airlines $128....
Greyhound's only $30 but tempting to get 'er done in one day....

Miguelon

Traffic Jam
02-06-2017, 09:31
Let me throw out another idea...cycle to Amicalola. It'll save your feet.

(Am I only one who thinks this thread is humorous?)

Tennessee Viking
02-06-2017, 10:12
If you are really considering this. You could consider riding a bit further down to Dalton GA, and jump on the Pinhoti Trail going east then BMT back to the first AT crossing or Springer.

But about the number of bus transfer you would do, you could simply fly into Atlanta > MARTA to North Springs > take a shuttle to Springer/Amicalola.

dwcoyote
02-06-2017, 11:12

I have read this post about 10 times and I am not getting why you would be willing to walk for 3 days to save a few bucks. The budget of your thru hike will be 2-3 dollars a mile, so why sweat over $1 a mile (85 miles for 80 more dollars) to make it to the trail.

Dogwood
02-06-2017, 11:22
Let me throw out another idea...cycle to Amicalola. It'll save your feet.

(Am I only one who thinks this thread is humorous?)

Well, it is since you're now commenting.:D

Dogwood
02-06-2017, 11:23
I have read this post about 10 times and I am not getting why you would be willing to walk for 3 days to save a few bucks. The budget of your thru hike will be 2-3 dollars a mile, so why sweat over $1 a mile (85 miles for 80 more dollars) to make it to the trail.

He must be saving money to buy Organic Ramen for the trail. ala Vencha's comment.

4eyedbuzzard
02-06-2017, 11:26
Riding on a bus for 16 hours is tolerable, but 22 hours isn't? If 6 extra hours of bus travel is intolerable, why isn't the first 16 hours intolerable? Seriously, fly or bus or train and then shuttle to as close to the trail as you can get. If $80 on transport is going to make or break your hiking budget, it's already likely broken.

Dogwood
02-06-2017, 11:42
Riding on a bus for 16 hours is tolerable, but 22 hours isn't? If 6 extra hours of bus travel is intolerable, why isn't the first 16 hours intolerable? Seriously, fly or bus or train and then shuttle to as close to the trail as you can get. If $80 on transport is going to make or break your hiking budget, it's already likely broken.

Saying the same.

$30 10.5 hr NO TRANSFERS NECESSARY from Indy to Atlanta on Mega Bus. $2.50 Marta right down the street(I walk there) from where Mega Bus ends in Atlanta to N. Springs station on the Red Line. $85 for the Thru-hiker package from the Hiker Hostel that includes pick up at N Springs Station to Dahlonega, GA, overnight stay in the bunk room, advice from two of the most plugged in AT Hostel Owners that know the AT, AT hikers, etc, B-fast, and next morning ride to Amicalola Falls SP Approach Trail or Springer Mt Parking Lot.

All in, locked and loaded from Indy delivered to the Amicalola Falls SP door step for less than $120. :confused:

Unless you fortunately bump into someone traveling from Indy to AFSP(good luck with that) that's alot of hassles diverted pre hike. ENJOY the first day on the trail. Most need the rest and advice for the NOBO Approach Tr start.

Dogwood
02-06-2017, 11:43
http://hikerhostel.com/lodging/thru-hiker-special/

Dogwood
02-06-2017, 11:51
I truly get that hitchin from Indy to AF SP can be part of the adventure but if you're complaining about travel times hitchin is a VERY IFFY TIME CONSUMING approach to save money given that situation in Feb.

Want to be frugal on a longer AT hike don't go into towns as much. Get in early morn, get your stuff dun, and get out. Don't stay overnight! Want to be frugal don't stay at hotels/motels especially solo. Share a room if you must. Stay at cheaper Hostels in a bunk room and DO NOT BE A MOOCH! Use AT lean-to's as your hotel/motel stay!

Dogwood
02-06-2017, 12:03
Being frugal overall by knowing where it makes more sense to spend some to have a better experience can also be a frugal approach. It's similar to some folks UL philosophy- every item in the kit doesn't have to be the most light option. :)

ALLEGHENY
02-06-2017, 12:16
The best item I spent money on was the train ticket and ride to Springer Mountain..

Second AYCE Break Fasts

Traffic Jam
02-06-2017, 15:00
Well, it is since you're now commenting.:D

If I can make someone laugh, my day is complete. :)

Dogwood
02-06-2017, 15:36
If I can make someone laugh, my day is complete. :)

You're day is complete. :)

Robert Alexander
02-08-2017, 01:01
At some point I'd recommend taking the bus to Atlanta, then the furthest Marta north (cited in Dogwood's post) then hitch from there. Hitching from an OTP Atlanta spot should be easier than hitching from Chattanooga. I say this as a Chattanooga native. Either way, it's good to practice those hitching skills. I'd say it's pretty doable to get there in a day or two but you may find yourself "camping" overnight on the side of the highway or in someone's yard.

G-FOURce
02-08-2017, 06:09
Hang on.
After today, some Falcons fan from that area will answer you about how cool the road wak is.

Definitely don't hitch a ride with a Falcon. They'll get you 3/4 of the way there before an epic fail occurs.

Further down south
02-10-2017, 15:57
Hey give me a call ... 7723210905 . I can help you out brother ... I'm a hiker and forest lover ... i want you to experience what the trail has to offer .. peace amd love

Further down south
02-10-2017, 16:03
Im not far from any of these places ... i live in the hills of georgia and know what is up here ...