PDA

View Full Version : Android App with Backtracking Capability

mml373
02-05-2017, 14:25
Hi. I've been absent from here for awhile, dealing with recovery from some injuries due to a fall from a tree. :-(

Just getting back into hiking now...

I was wondering what Android app exists that I can use to trace my hikes, and then backtrack my route if necessary. There have been times on the trail I've been unable to continue a hike for one reason or another, and wanted to have a little extra peace of mind/confidence in my backtrack route being correct. I used to have a Garmin watch that filled the bill, but no longer have it and hope to find a GPS app that will suit my purpose until I can afford to purchase a suitable dedicated hiking GPS.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

bugnout
02-06-2017, 12:35
My goto app is backcountry navigator. easy to start track recording and easy to retrace.

Maineiac64
02-06-2017, 16:08
Gaigps is pretty good.

How did you fall from a tree?

Maui Rhino
02-06-2017, 16:18
I'm another Backcountry Navigator user. Great little app!

Slo-go'en
02-06-2017, 17:30
There are a whole slew of GPS apps which will do that. I use ViewRanger GPS as it lets me down load free opencycle topo maps which are pretty good. Just keep in mind that tracking GPS tends to eat up your batteries pretty quickly.

cmoulder
02-06-2017, 21:07
Maprika is pretty darn good. I was recently introduced to it by 1azarus and it has quickly become my fave. I've used Backcountry Navigator a fair amount but find that for whatever reasons it eats batteries pretty quickly. Maprika has much better battery life when in tracking mode. At least with my Galaxy S5.

mml373
05-12-2017, 06:08
Thanks, all. I ended up finding a little Garmin Etrex 20 and maps. Figured a dedicated unit would be a plus, for my purposes, and the little Etrex isn't too bad from what little trekking I've tried it with so far.