PDA

View Full Version : starting 23Feb @ Amicalola/Springer ? ?

hikehunter
02-05-2017, 16:50
I will be at Amicalola Falls on the 22 Feb 2017 (late afternoon) I will be providing a little trail magic.
Plan to have hot water (so hikers can save fuel) for coffee and hot chocolate.
Some limited breakfast stuff.

I am going to be working my way north to Cosby, TN (hwy 40/Davenport Gap) I Must be at the Cosby campgrounds by Friday 24Feb2017; as I have a one night permit for the Cosby Knob Shelter that night.

I plan to hit a trail crossing area in Georgia or NC along the way to do some hot water/water, light snack trail magic, on Thursday 23Feb.

I am looking for the best road crossings to set up for the few hikers starting early. The ATC shows 12 to 15 hikers starting the 24Feb.

Please respond with a few spots that might offer the best place for a hiker to get a little magic early on.

I will be using a truck and it can go up most forest roads......(logging roads ? ? ?)

:sun:sun:sun:sun

soumodeler
02-05-2017, 17:12
Woody Gap would be a good place. Easy access and lots of space.

skater
02-06-2017, 14:11
Woody Gap, as Soumodeler noted, is probably the best. Lots of parking, and furthest south so probably the most traffic for those dates. If you can't get there for some reason, Hogpen Gap and Unicoi Gap have plenty of parking as well.

hikehunter
02-07-2017, 00:40
Yes Woody Gap is on the radar. I will also hit New Found Gap/Clingmans mid-afternoon and see if there is a hiker needing a ride to town. Sometimes the road to Clingmans is open sometimes not (weather). The timing of this is very open. I may find a group of hikers or I could find none. I just want to let hikers know that are looking that there is a chance to catch a good break.

Engine
02-07-2017, 05:22
We'll be starting a few days too late (26th) to partake, but thanks for what you're doing!

-Rush-
02-14-2017, 03:25
Springer is too early to reward people with trail magic! I agree Woody Gap is a good and popular spot. Unicoi and Dick's Creek Gap also.

Enjoy your night at Cosby!

Woodbury
02-20-2017, 07:46
I called the park yesterday and they said Clingmans was going to be closed to vehicles until April 1. Also I believe the AT is closed between Clingmans and New Found Gap due to fire damage and that we have to hike the road. You might be able to give rides there. Very nice of you for your efforts!

Engine
02-20-2017, 08:03
I called the park yesterday and they said Clingmans was going to be closed to vehicles until April 1. Also I believe the AT is closed between Clingmans and New Found Gap due to fire damage and that we have to hike the road. You might be able to give rides there. Very nice of you for your efforts!

I saw in a Kiwi's vlog a few days ago that he had to detour through that stretch, but when I looked on the GSMNP and ATC web sites I couldn't find any mention of that closure. I guess they're a bit slow updating...

hikehunter
02-21-2017, 02:00
Thanks for the heads up about New Found Gap/Clingman's area. I plan to drive thru there. I shall stake it out for a few hours to give hikers a chance for a ride to Gatlinburg. Not sure of the timing, however, It will most likely be in the mid to lat morning. Sad that there is fire damage. Did see some of the Kiwi videos of NC between Franklin and the NOC. There is some damage, not too bad as I can tell. May everyones hikes be super good this 2017 season.

JC13
02-21-2017, 12:33
I saw in a Kiwi's vlog a few days ago that he had to detour through that stretch, but when I looked on the GSMNP and ATC web sites I couldn't find any mention of that closure. I guess they're a bit slow updating...I saw that as well, I'm wondering if the signage for the Road Forks closure is causing hikers to believe that the AT is closed in that section where they cross. None of the trail journal users mentioned a closure but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.