PDA

View Full Version : SOBO Section Harpers Ferry to James River Bridge

Femadog
02-06-2017, 17:43
I've been lurking and trying to get up to speed but thought I would ask if any commonly overlooked issues for doing a SOBO Section Hike from HF to James Bridge late April to early May. I have flexibility to move the trip start a week either way. Hoping to do it over 2 weeks give or take with a resupply at Swift Run Gap. I have family who can meet up for the drop off and pick up.

I did most of the AT back in the mid 70's with a pack base weight of 45 pounds and big heavy boots. Wisdom and technology have been my friend and my new base weight is 12 pounds. I've been able to get a bunch of shake out trips here in CO getting ready. Old knees beat up from the abuse of the 70's and lacrosse are my nemesis but I get out quite a bit so I'm not too concerned about that. I can adapt as necessary. I would love to bring my Malinois search dog but I figure I'll have enough on my plate without that additional consideration this first trip.

I figure I'll beat the bulk of the bubble getting to James River. Hammock camping with a 20 degree TQ and UQ set up and CF tarp. I looked at the historical temps for that time of year and I should be okay (with stuff to deal with lower temps and I'll look at the forecast just before I pack to go.

Any unexpected issues around there and around that time of year? Thanks, I've learned a lot over the past 6 months from here and the Hammock Forums.

Slo-go'en
02-06-2017, 18:12
I did that trip 2 years ago. Looking back it took me 19 days to get to the James River from HF and I yellow blazed from Buena Vista to Glassglow (skipping about 20 miles). I was 62 at the time and while I don't do real big miles, I did a lot of 15+ mile days. You'd be better to schedule about 3 weeks for this trip since your not a young chicken anymore and there's a lot of up and down in that section and some of it really steep. The "Roller Coaster" which you hit a day or so out of HF will definitely get your attention.

I left Harpers Ferry May 1st that year and pretty much had the trail to myself for the first 2 weeks until Trail Days let out and then all of a sudden there were large groups of hikers everywhere. By leaving mid April you'll finish well before that. Weather wise, still too early to tell. It was down right full on summer when I left May 1st, 2 years ago and it was pretty warm for the end of April last year when I went back and went NOBO from HF April 18th. But then May turned cool and rainy, so you just don't know.

Femadog
02-06-2017, 18:21
Thanks, I can add time if need be or stop at Buena Vista and cut a few days. I was hoping that time of year would work out but didn't figure on Trail Days impact. I'm hoping the low altitude will help some but the air gets pretty thick back there..... Hopefully daily skinning trips up Aspen Highlands will help build up my climbing legs.

Thanks again.

bigcranky
02-06-2017, 20:24
Nice section. Great time of year. Definitely don't leave before the waysides are open in Shenandoah NP. Trust me on this.

You could resupply yourself pretty easily: hitch into Waynesboro (easiest ever, there is a list of names and numbers at the trailhead - amazing trail town and well worth a stop). With the food you can (should) buy right on the trail inside the park, you'll be able to supplement your initial carry to go the extra 40, I think. (Though I prefer carrying less food and would stop in Front Royal too.)

Slo-go'en
02-06-2017, 22:56
My first resupply was in Front Royal (Terrapin station hostel), but stopping at the Bears den hostel half way to FR is a good way to break up that section and that saves you at least one breakfast and dinner. I didn't buy much in Front Royal, just enough to supplement what I could get along the way in the park.

The next stop was Waynesboro (motel) and of course, Wangs (famed all you can eat Chinese).

The next resupply would have been Buena Vista, but when I got to the road to try and hitch, I meet a guy going back to the shelter in Glassglow, so going there was a no brainer. I then continued on from Glassglow to Daleville.

Try to arrange your timing to stay at the Harpers creek shelter, it has one of the nicest settings in Virginia. And after going over three ridges, you might not want to go much farther that day.

Cookerhiker
02-07-2017, 19:21
It's 240 miles. If you're in shape to average 17 miles per day (using 14 days for your 2 weeks), then it'll be a great hike. I can't think of a better time of year to hike the Blue Ridge.

jimmyjam
02-07-2017, 19:26
Phone service, even with Verizon is pretty much non-existent at the JR bridge. So make your phone call before you come down off the mountain.

Femadog
02-08-2017, 00:07
Not being tied to having to use shelters (hammock as needed) I was thinking the 17 mile average would work with the option to add a few days if need be or cut it back to Buena Vista. The family will meet me for the re-supply and may join me for part of it. Thanks for extra insights. Looking forward to getting back out on the trail again. Being out in the wild (kind of) isn't a new thing as I work wildland fires in the summer so 2 weeks with minimal comforts is not a big deal. My pack for this will weigh less than my fire pack!