PDA

View Full Version : Zpacks Arc Haul/Blast quilt packing

Oventoasted
02-06-2017, 18:55
Just wondering if anyone who uses these packs also use stuff sacks or drybags for their quilts or sleeping bags? Right now i have my UQ and TQ in a 12L drybag in my Arc Haul but i was thinking if it was even necessary with the way the pack is designed. Only real fear i could think of is if i put a leaky water bottle in the main pack that would get the quilts wet.

Im going to try and get a little test hike hike and see how it feels without the drybag but, was just hoping someone may have some words of wisdom on the matter already.

Engine
02-06-2017, 18:57
I keep my down jacket, hood, and quilt in a Sea-to-Summit dry bag. It stays in a trash compactor bag along with my cuben clothes stuff sack. Three layers of protection.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

trailmercury
02-06-2017, 19:17
Arc Haul user here
I use a Zpacks Pack liner, as well as Zpacks drybag for my down gear, just like Engine, 3 layers of protection.

MuddyWaters
02-06-2017, 19:21
Dont do it
Ever had to pack or unpack in rain?
Your pack is not a drybag
I have number of small repairs to arc blast
I have had 1/4 cup of water in bottom from pinholes too after hiking in rain. Or maybe some wicked in rolled top as well...who knows for sure. Its not a drybag

Put what needs to stay dry in a pack liner. For me, that clothing and insulation, and xlite pad.

Oventoasted
02-06-2017, 19:30
awesome, thanks guys! ill keep it as is then.

Miles 2 Go
02-06-2017, 20:29
I use the Arc Blast cuben pack and although very water resistant I keep my sleeping bag in a Zpacks dry bag for the reasons Muddy Waters listed. The sleeping bag gets packed on the bottom, all other items get packed in Zpacks stuff sacks. I've hike in some good down pours and all gear stayed dry.

poolskaterx
02-08-2017, 13:43
I use the rectangle dry bag from zpacks and aside from keeping it dry it also allows me to regulate the amount of space my sleeping bag takes up; as my supplies are used I compress my bag less to keep my pack load more stabilized.

Deacon
02-08-2017, 14:24
Dont do it
Ever had to pack or unpack in rain?
Your pack is not a drybag
I have number of small repairs to arc blast
I have had 1/4 cup of water in bottom from pinholes too after hiking in rain. Or maybe some wicked in rolled top as well...who knows for sure. Its not a drybag

Put what needs to stay dry in a pack liner. For me, that clothing and insulation, and xlite pad.

I sent my three year old Arc Blast back to ZPacks for some repairs, and had them re-tape the inside hoping to achieve complete waterproofness. Like Muddy, I still get a little standing water in the bottom of the pack after a hard rain. I can't for the life of me figure out how the water gets in.

You definitely need a liner.

DuneElliot
02-08-2017, 14:34
I line my Arc Haul with a trash compactor bag AND use a dry bag for my quilt, partly to compress it down slightly since it is a 10* quilt and bulky and partly for extra protection. I would never consider going without at least one of them.

saltysack
02-09-2017, 09:50
I never carry any liquids any pack....definitely line it with something...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmoulder
02-09-2017, 11:27
I have a friend whose 100oz camelbak (water mixed with some sort of powdered drink concoction) sprung a leak at the bottom where the hose connects, inside the pack. Not fun when your first indication of a problem is a sugary liquid running down your butt crack. What a mess.:mad:

gravityfalls
02-09-2017, 11:34
Compactor bag user here. They are great packs but an ounce or so of extra security is worth it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

cmoulder
02-09-2017, 11:46
Another option is Nylofume bags (http://quantumtermite.com/nylofume-bags-20) — tough, lighter than compactors, pliable and clear. A bit on the expensive side relative to compactors, though still cheep as backpacking gear goes.

bigcranky
02-09-2017, 15:19
I have a friend whose 100oz camelbak (water mixed with some sort of powdered drink concoction) sprung a leak at the bottom where the hose connects, inside the pack. Not fun when your first indication of a problem is a sugary liquid running down your butt crack. What a mess.:mad:

Same thing happened to me, lucky for me it was just water. Unlucky for me it was early March at Roan Mountain. I had a very cold night.

saltysack
02-10-2017, 15:27
Another option is Nylofume bags (http://quantumtermite.com/nylofume-bags-20) — tough, lighter than compactors, pliable and clear. A bit on the expensive side relative to compactors, though still cheep as backpacking gear goes.

Damn......a 20 pack would last my family for many generations....hope my future great, great grand kids hike!! Leave them something good!!![emoji3]I'm still working on a 5 pack of compactor bags from 2010! I'll buy a couple from ya!![emoji51]

MuddyWaters
02-10-2017, 20:19
O
Damn......a 20 pack would last my family for many generations....hope my future great, great grand kids hike!! Leave them something good!!![emoji3]I'm still working on a 5 pack of compactor bags from 2010! I'll buy a couple from ya!![emoji51]

I got lifetime supply years ago when did a group order.

cmoulder
02-11-2017, 09:06

I PMed you for snail mail address... guess you're actually out hiking? :D

Similar to MW I bought these a couple of years ago and have been giving them out, so except for my personal stash these are the last of 'em! :o

Easy 'nuff to coordinate a group order for other interested folks.

I personally haven't used them a bunch, but I have friends who have used them quite a bit as pack liners and also for air mattress inflation and they just love 'em. Pretty darn durable so far.

hyperslug
02-11-2017, 10:08
Nylofume bags sold individually: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NYLOFUME-BAG-The-perfect-backpack-liner-Waterproof-Odor-resistant-Light-/272500013922?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275

cmoulder
02-11-2017, 12:55
There ya go! :)

saltysack
02-12-2017, 12:38
I PMed you for snail mail address... guess you're actually out hiking? :D

Similar to MW I bought these a couple of years ago and have been giving them out, so except for my personal stash these are the last of 'em! :o

Easy 'nuff to coordinate a group order for other interested folks.

I personally haven't used them a bunch, but I have friends who have used them quite a bit as pack liners and also for air mattress inflation and they just love 'em. Pretty darn durable so far.

I wish...was off shore in my brothers new boat....slow day....bunch of short snapper one nice red.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170212/a8e9e5854e424834e0d023b62191582d.jpg

saltysack
02-12-2017, 12:41
There ya go! :)

My box must be full..appreciate your offer...@ &2 I'll just order off flea bay save you the hassle...

saltysack
02-12-2017, 12:41
Nylofume bags sold individually: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NYLOFUME-BAG-The-perfect-backpack-liner-Waterproof-Odor-resistant-Light-/272500013922?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275

Perfect thx