PDA

View Full Version : Prescriptions

trailhermit
02-06-2017, 22:08
I was wondering how people manage prescriptions on the trail. I would appreciate advice from people are on long-term meds on a long distance section or thru hike.

Do you carry them all or bounce box the extras? Also, how do you refill?

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

renais
02-06-2017, 23:40
If you can leave your scripts with Walmart, you can get them filled as you go on up the trail. It is particularly convenient if you call ahead to a Walmart you'll be visiting with the precription number needed for the refill. Then, they can have it ready when you come into town. If Walmart doesn't work for your needs, perhaps one of the other chains would work. I wouldn't carry all my meds for two reasons: weight, and the concern that they might get moist.

rhjanes
02-06-2017, 23:51
As above (and also covered in older threads, some searches here will find old threads discussing this very topic).....use a national chain. And, you can always work with whatever pharmacy you have. I was in a very small town in the mountains of PA when my back went out. I had the RX....back here in Texas. My wife walked a block to the mom and pop pharmacy, told them the issues. They said "have a seat". They called back here to TX, to our local chain.....within 30 minutes, they had transferred the RX up to the pharmacy there and my wife brought me the meds. Easy.

Engine
02-07-2017, 05:32
Just yesterday I picked up Rx meds for the coming thru-hike. I simply asked my doctor for a 180 day script for the Synthroid and I'll carry all of it from day one. The full bottle only weighs 1.2 ounces and it is less hassle to carry it all the way than to worry about the logistics of dealing with a pharmacy during the hike. One less headache to deal with...

FiftyNine
02-07-2017, 07:53
I plan on carrying about two to three weeks at a time and have refills sent from home approx every two to three weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

trailhermit
02-07-2017, 09:48
Thank you for the replies.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk