PDA

View Full Version : Golf gloves for hiking?

LuckyMan
02-06-2017, 23:34
I like wearing gloves when hiking the sunny trails of the Southwest to keep the backs of my hands from frying, avoid scrapes during boulder and canyon scrambles and help protect against thorns etc. I recently bought some Outdoor Research gloves for $30 or $35 and like them, but then at Costco I saw similar-looking golf gloves at $15 for three pairs. They even came in extra large, which looked as if they'd fit my enormous untrumpian hands, though of course they were encased in an absurdly excessive wad of plastic so I couldn't try them on.

Has anyone used Costco or other golf gloves for hiking? If so, how were they?

colorado_rob
02-07-2017, 00:09
Just a curious question from a long-time golfer (me): every golf glove I've ever bought is just a single glove, golfers tend to wear only one, for right handers, generally a left hand glove. Are you sure these are three PAIR of glove, or 3 single left (or right) hand gloves? If they work for you, of course, you could buy a three pack of each hand, still only $30

MuddyWaters
02-07-2017, 00:22
Glacier gloves are about $20
Work well

4eyedbuzzard
02-07-2017, 00:42
The only time I see golf gloves sold in pairs (L+R) is the rain gloves, for wet weather. Otherwise, they are sold singly for L or R hand. Also cheaper golf gloves are synthetic, not the cabretta leather we golfers generally prefer. The other downside is that they would not be very durable on rock surfaces, as they are very thin in order to retain feel of the club. And if they get wet enough from either water or perspiration, they tend to dry pretty hard and stiff as the oil gets washed out of them.

Engine
02-07-2017, 05:23
If saturated they get pretty slippery too, hard to hold on to anything.

ScareBear
02-07-2017, 05:48
Just a curious question from a long-time golfer (me): every golf glove I've ever bought is just a single glove, golfers tend to wear only one, for right handers, generally a left hand glove. Are you sure these are three PAIR of glove, or 3 single left (or right) hand gloves? If they work for you, of course, you could buy a three pack of each hand, still only $30

IKR? I still can't decide if this post is a troll.....

OP should be looking at a farm supply store for mechanic's gloves...4 bucks a pair...all the way up to 10 bucks a pair for a name brand...

Golf gloves....smh....

FiftyNine
02-07-2017, 07:45
I' ve used bike gloves at times, padded slightly on the palm and fingers are open.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

colorado_rob
02-07-2017, 09:12
IKR? I still can't decide if this post is a troll.....
.... Did my post sound trollish???? Sorry op if it did, but I sure don't know how it could have. Assuming the op is not a golfer, it woud be easy to assume golf gloves are sold as single gloves. And I'm struggling with IKR????

bigcranky
02-07-2017, 09:25
I use bike gloves, too, they keep the back of my hands from burning and keep my poles from rubbing up blisters in really hot weather.

ScareBear
02-07-2017, 09:33
Did my post sound trollish???? Sorry op if it did, but I sure don't know he could have. Assuming the op is not a golfer, it woud be easy to assume golf gloves are sold as single gloves. And I'm struggling with IKR????

No. No. No. I was referring to OP being a potential troll, not YOU!!!! I mean....it seemed to be perfect troll bait...golf gloves....

IKR=I know, right?

Sorry.:(

Elaikases
02-07-2017, 09:36
I like wearing gloves when hiking the sunny trails of the Southwest to keep the backs of my hands from frying, avoid scrapes during boulder and canyon scrambles and help protect against thorns etc. I recently bought some Outdoor Research gloves for $30 or $35 and like them, but then at Costco I saw similar-looking golf gloves at $15 for three pairs. They even came in extra large, which looked as if they'd fit my enormous untrumpian hands, though of course they were encased in an absurdly excessive wad of plastic so I couldn't try them on.

Has anyone used Costco or other golf gloves for hiking? If so, how were they?

Costco's return policy is about as liberal as REI's.

Just saying.

colorado_rob
02-07-2017, 09:40
No. No. No. I was referring to OP being a potential troll, not YOU!!!! I mean....it seemed to be perfect troll bait...golf gloves....

IKR=I know, right?

Sorry.:(aha! Duh.... it was 6am and just had first cup.....

I actually think some extremely thin leather gloves might work, I'd even consider cutting off the finger tips. Golf gloves just might be a good idea. Not for warmth though, just for sun and abrasion protection. Thin bike gloves are a good idea too.

T_Packer
02-07-2017, 11:19
I wear leather shooting gloves when I hike. A shooting glove is basically the same thing as a golf glove, i.e. thin, leather, with a velcro closure. Shooting gloves come in normal colors like brown and black, and are bought in a pair. I bought mine from Cabelas.

Dogwood
02-07-2017, 15:34
YES golf gloves do work for the southwest. They have a good amount of tactility. I used cheap golfing gloves in the Mojave, Sonoran, and Great Basin Deserts to do what you want on maintained trails and bits of XC with a little anticipated scrambling and light low angled climbing(pour offs) involved when I couldn't find anything else available. As said they are thin and finger tips can wear out quickly in abrasive conditions. What I wound up doing after quickly tearing through my first pr ever used is carefully smearing a flat light coat of McNetts Seam Grip(thin coat of Shoo Goo can work too) on the inside finger tips and very end of the finger tip. Good to go...short-ish term! I've used the most breathable kind slightly looser fitting than my heavier climbing gloves for added breathability since I was hiking not mainly climbing. For backpacking, the few times I've used lightly palm padded bicycle or wt lifting gloves with the fingers missing in hot, blazing out in the open sun, thorny, etc type environs my fingers burned and were more susceptible to thorns and cuts.

What I've done to A simple very cheap pr of stretchy nylon running gloves can work for all your needs except canyon scrambles where you might need tactile hard wearing more abrasive fingered gloves.

rocketsocks
02-07-2017, 20:46
Whatever you do, don't leave your golf glove (treated with lanolin) on a cast iron radiator...least you have yourself a tinny monkey hand key fob thingy, which was actually kinda cool. :D

poolskaterx
02-08-2017, 13:30
I just recently was thinking of trying golf gloves; pretty cheap for comparable items and probably have a pretty tactile feel. I have used mtb gloves and they work pretty good but are usually a little thick and made of synthetic leather and I tend to melt em when I tend camp fires. I thought maybe a thin "golfing" leather glove might last longer. Be interested to hear from others that may have tried golf gloves.

Traveler
02-08-2017, 17:51
Best all around gloves I have used are a pair of NSR paddle gloves. Padded palms, half finger type, nylon material that dries quickly without shrinking, velcro adjusting wrists. Perfect for poles, using on rock scrambles, and good protection from a variety of things. Around $20 - 30$ at EMS or REI.

Kalaallit
02-09-2017, 00:53
Rain gloves could definitely work, as they don't lose any grip when wet. They're pretty breathable too, or at least mine are. I'd stay away from golf gloves, they tend to wear out pretty fast, the leather isn't very breathable, and could get very hot.