PDA

View Full Version : Dry Camping

LittleRock
02-07-2017, 10:11
Thinking back on last year's AT trips, and remembered a stretch where I dry camped for three straight nights with only 2L of water each night. Starting this thread to share lessons learned, and let other share tips/experiences.

1) You can camp with only 2L of water, for multiple nights in a row, even in warm, dry weather, without getting dehydrated
+ Note that this only works if the next water source is within a half day's walk. If water sources are further apart than that, you need to carry extra water to hike with the next day.
+ You must be willing to carry an extra 4-6 lbs of water uphill on tired legs at the end of the day.
+ All water should be used for drinking or cooking. Things like washing dishes or brushing teeth can wait until your next refill.
+ Ration your water. Take a sip every few minutes. Don't chug or take long drinks.
+ In warm weather, get up and start hiking early. This will keep sweating to a minimum and allow your body to conserve water.
+ Stop and drink a liter of water when you refill at the next water source. Even if you don't feel like you need it.

2) You can camp anywhere where you can find 10 square feet of flat ground (or two sturdy trees 8-10 feet apart, if you like to hang)
+ Stop and enjoy the sunset and sunrise at that place with the gorgeous view. :-)
+ Of course, camping restrictions should be obeyed where applicable, and designated sites or at least previously used spots are preferred over creating new ones

3) You can experience solitude every night, even on the AT
+ This was the best part of my experience. I loved listening to the sounds of nature instead of human voices. And I woke up one morning to a herd of deer grazing near my campsite.
+ Stopping in between the shelters means they're usually empty by the time you reach them. I stopped for a long break at the first shelter late morning every day and never had any company.

nsherry61
02-07-2017, 10:23
Great points on dry camping. I do it a lot, but with a slightly different strategy.

Dry camping doesn't require carrying even 1 L of water if you stop and fix you dinner meal at or near a water source, then hike some more before you stop to make camp for the night. Then, if get up in the morning, eat small snack if you choose, to hold you over until the next water source, where you can stop and cook a bigger breakfast as your first morning hiking break.

I probably do this separation of eating and camping more than I don't when hiking in the summer (long day) months. It gives me more hours on the trail, better water sources for eating meals and better camp sites when I don't have to try and accommodate cooking/water needs into my camping. I love getting onto the trail early and I love hiking to sunset, both of which separating meals from camping assists with.

hikernutcasey
02-07-2017, 11:07
Great points on dry camping. I do it a lot, but with a slightly different strategy.

Dry camping doesn't require carrying even 1 L of water if you stop and fix you dinner meal at or near a water source, then hike some more before you stop to make camp for the night. Then, if get up in the morning, eat small snack if you choose, to hold you over until the next water source, where you can stop and cook a bigger breakfast as your first morning hiking break.This is a great way to extend your days mileage and to possibly camp at a beautiful spot you ordinarily wouldn't have been able to. I do this a lot. I like to stop and eat at a shelter if possible to make use of the picnic table and then go on a few miles to find that "perfect" camp spot. Another benefit of this is you can hike more miles without feeling like you've necessarily done so. The break to eat leaves you feeling rejuvenated and the last few miles do not feel nearly as taxing at the end of a day as they normally do.

Odd Man Out
02-07-2017, 11:33
Yes. I did this on my first AT hike in central VA. It was mid afternoon (too early for dinner or camping), but was looking at a long climb followed by a long dry ridge walk. It was possible I might make it down the other side to the next shelter/water supply by nightfall, but I couldn't be sure (I was already pretty tired). So I filled all my water containers (about 3 L) and carried them up the mountain (this was mid summer in VA, so it was hot). The reward was that I found a small clearing in some rocks at narrow spot of the ridge . I could see the sun set on one side of my tent and the sun rise on the other. Probably my best campsite ever.

Another advantage of dry camping is that along the AT, shelters are usually built where there is water and this is often down the mountain from the trail. I would rather not give up too much elevation on a hike down a side trail to a shelter/water supply. There are enough pointless ups and downs without adding extra that don't get you closer to your destination. So if I am at a water source on the trail and see that the next water source is going to involve a lot of elevation gain/loss, I fill up with enough water so I can avoid that PUD.

Dogwood
02-07-2017, 11:36
http://www.trailgroove.com/issue29.html?autoflip=107

Good article by Drew Smith

Dogwood
02-07-2017, 11:47
Great comments and thread Little Rock. Nailed it.

Just as hiking early in the cooler weather applies to needing less water so does hiking in the cooler late afternoon and after sunset times.

Littles sips can be swished around in the mouth and held in the mouth longer rather than all gulped immediately. Both these points are taught in the military for survival water rationing.

In warm weather consider not cooking that takes up water. If one does cook pot can be cleaned with sand, pebbles, dry non sappy duff like dry pine or fir needles or other leaves or lichen/mosses. Wipe dry with ditty cloth.

Patchy
02-07-2017, 11:50
I also like to fix meal near a creek or water source, and then hike on a bit to find a great view or location to tie up my hammock. It's a great rest break, and helps the meal settle instead of climbing in my hammock and turning into a slug. Ha!

Tipi Walter
02-07-2017, 12:33
During the recent 5 month drought in the Southeast I routinely carried 9 lbs of extra water to allow me to dry camp on ridgetops for 3 to 4 days in a row---from one camp to another. It sucked. Once the drought ended in December my life returned to normal, thank you Buddha.

The water sources I did find were simple mud seeps if I was lucky and with a little work I could pump out the necessary liters after digging out a seep hole to let the water settle.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpack-2016-Trips-171/Four-Trails-of-the-Apocalypse/i-rbhwcGT/0/XL/P1000041-XL.jpg
Here's one typical mountain spring source during the drought. It was a lifesaver but I had to go down the dry spring watershed to find it. It allowed me to tank up with 4+ liters and stay on a long ridge trail for 3 days on one water load.

These kind of seeps are why I carry a pump filter and not a sawyer gravity feed thingie. Pumping allows for getting clean water with a minimum of mud or silt.

Sarcasm the elf
02-07-2017, 12:51
While I agree with your advice above, I want to point out that the amount of water needed depends heavily on the individual.

I sweat and consume water more than average and when I dry camp I try to bring at least 4 liters, two for the night and two for the morning. I could certainly survive with two, however I would not rest or rehydrate adequately with that amount and it screws me up the next day. On the other end of the spectrum, I have a hiking buddy that I've dry camped with who will use less than a liter in the same amount of time.

burger
02-07-2017, 13:03
Just remember: LNT principals say that you should only be camping on hardened sites. If there's vegetation, it's not a campsite (yeah, hammocks are less damaging, but you still end up walking around a bunch and trampling stuff). Thankfully, there is no shortage of existing hardened sites all along the AT.

burger
02-07-2017, 13:06
Of course, camping restrictions should be obeyed where applicable, and designated sites or at least previously used spots are preferred over creating new ones
Just to add...hikers should NEVER be creating new campsites. With thousands of thru-hikers each year now and probably tens of thousands more section hikers and weekenders, if even a small fraction of hikers decided to create their own sites, the damage to the soil and vegetation would be immense. Luckily, there are a zillion sites along the AT already--many of these have fire rings already. You could stealth/dry camp every night on a thru hike and not disturb a blade of grass if you are careful with site selection.

garlic08
02-07-2017, 13:32

Dry camping doesn't require carrying even 1 L of water if you stop and fix you dinner meal at or near a water source, then hike some more before you stop to make camp for the night. Then, if get up in the morning, eat small snack if you choose, to hold you over until the next water source, where you can stop and cook a bigger breakfast as your first morning hiking break.

I probably do this separation of eating and camping more than I don't when hiking in the summer (long day) months. It gives me more hours on the trail, better water sources for eating meals and better camp sites when I don't have to try and accommodate cooking/water needs into my camping. I love getting onto the trail early and I love hiking to sunset, both of which separating meals from camping assists with.

Exactly my take, one liter is plenty for me. I've done it with half that. Many desert hiking trips have led me to a point where I actually now seek out dry sites for their intrinsic benefits--warmer, fewer insects, less vermin after my food, usually better views.

DuneElliot
02-07-2017, 14:06
I like to dry camp also, but usually within an hour or so of the previous and next water sources. What makes it more difficult for me is the addition of two dogs...I can't really explain to them why I don't have water when they are thirsty!

SkeeterPee
02-07-2017, 17:37
Just to add...hikers should NEVER be creating new campsites. With thousands of thru-hikers each year now and probably tens of thousands more section hikers and weekenders, if even a small fraction of hikers decided to create their own sites, the damage to the soil and vegetation would be immense. Luckily, there are a zillion sites along the AT already--many of these have fire rings already. You could stealth/dry camp every night on a thru hike and not disturb a blade of grass if you are careful with site selection.

Are you accurately reflecting LNT? I see it says you can use dispersed camping being sure to not reuse areas which turns them into hardened campsites. It seems you are overstating the LNT philosophy.

fiddlehead
02-07-2017, 18:29
I prefer what you call "Dry camping".
In the east, camping near a creek or down in a hollow, can mean lots of dew and no views.
I often use nSherry61's method, or: carry 2 litres and cook at that high campsite with a view.
We are creatures of habit.
Dry camping is a good one. IMO.

bamboo bob
02-07-2017, 18:39
Are you accurately reflecting LNT? I see it says you can use dispersed camping being sure to not reuse areas which turns them into hardened campsites. It seems you are overstating the LNT philosophy.

I agree. Especially if you go 200' or more off trail. I dispersed site is like to never be used again. Unless he's referring to camping around shelters one should use established spaces if you an stand the noise.

Slo-go'en
02-07-2017, 18:49
While it's true there maybe a zillion places to camp along the AT, there are a finite number of GOOD places to camp along the AT and pretty much every one has been used at some point, with the best ones obvious from prior use. And if it's not a designated site, you really shouldn't be making a fire, even if some idiot did made a fire ring there at some point.

Apparently some of you are really good at finding good campsites or your not very picky at all where you camp. During the day as you hike along, look around and ask yourself "If it was getting dark and I needed to find a place to camp really soon, would there be decent one around here?" The answer is "probably not".

burger
02-07-2017, 18:55

Right here on the ATC website:
Restrict activities to areas where vegetation is already absent
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/leave-no-trace#durable-surfaces

If you don't believe them, here are guidelines from another area with a ton of backpackers, Yosemite NP website:

Travel and Camp on Durable Surfaces

Durable surfaces include established trails and campsites, rock, gravel, dry grasses or snow.
Good campsites are found, not made. Altering a site is not necessary.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/lnt.htm

Cookerhiker
02-07-2017, 19:04
Only in recent years have I seen the benefits of dry camping, providing the next day's water source isn't too far ahead. On my Colorado Trail thruhike in 2011, we dry-camped at least 3 nights but were I hiking it again, I'd probably do more dry camps. As others have stated, my preference is to cook dinner by a water source in mid-to-late afternoon and ration my water such that when I camp, I have a liter for breakfast the next day (or two if it's still long to a water source).

ScareBear
02-07-2017, 19:20
While I agree with your advice above, I want to point out that the amount of water needed depends heavily on the individual.

I sweat and consume water more than average and when I dry camp I try to bring at least 4 liters, two for the night and two for the morning. I could certainly survive with two, however I would not rest or rehydrate adequately with that amount and it screws me up the next day. On the other end of the spectrum, I have a hiking buddy that I've dry camped with who will use less than a liter in the same amount of time.

This. Which is precisely why there is a 3L Nalgene soft cantene hanging from the back of my pack, in addition to the 3L hydration bladder...two L at night, two L in the am, two L to the next water hole....YMMV...

StubbleJumper
02-07-2017, 20:19
That's a great point. I too sweat like a pig. When I hike in the east, my hiking clothes are rarely dry. But, that's life.

For me, I need about 3 litres to dry camp. I like to drink roughly a litre over the first 30 or 45 minutes after getting to my campsite because my body is usually short water. I require about 1 litre to make supper (and I usually eat/drink all of that litre, either in the food that I've made or in the "dishwater" that I drink after supper). And, over the course of the night and in the morning, I usually drink a litre of water. During the night, when I wake up, I take a good sip of water and then go back to sleep. That process requires a good half-litre. When I awake, I am usually reasonably well hydrated and ready to start my day. I don't mind hiking the first 3 or 4 miles in the morning without water. It's cool and I'm hydrated, so it's no biggie.

On a few occasions, I've passed a thirsty night. That really sucks. Last summer I was stupid enough to leave town with only 1 litre and I climbed probaby 2,000 feet onto a ridge with no water. It started raining and my legs were tired, so I made camp with only a half-litre. It was a crappy night and I was happy to find a stream a couple miles later the next morning. On other occasions, I've spent a couple of thirsty nights in the desert, but it certainly wasn't fun.

Dogwood
02-07-2017, 22:31
Dispersed and LNT camping can be accomplished together.

A site does not have to be void of vegetation to follow LNT ethics - desert sand, red rock, granite slabs.

GOOD campsites abound on the AT depending on how one camps and how one defines GOOD. Getting back to the topicLittle Rock is advancing, as well as Nsherry, Garlic, Fiddlehead, Dune Eliiot, GOOD campsites can be defined as not on or adjacent to water. Unfortunately

Dogwood
02-07-2017, 22:37
Unfortunately, entirely too many backpackers, including the woman advancing UL on the Nat Geo thread, see it essential, which can often be more accurately defined as for convenience sake, camp at water. It's the AT hiker norm. Many a experienced hiker have found it not essential to camp near or at water and, as some have said, can be problematic.

Dogwood
02-07-2017, 22:44
A site does not have to be void of vegetation to follow LNT ethics - desert sand, red rock, granite slabs...

Even grass, duff, and pine straw on the ground sites can be leave no trace sites. IMO, one of the issues with many established AT campsites is that they are on so called durable or hardened/compacted surfaces but become muddy or are depressed so they hold water. Compounding these issues is the amount of usage and those not acquainted with following LNT ethics.

garlic08
02-08-2017, 09:23
Many of us have different definitions of "camping." For me, it means "lying down to sleep." I very seldom eat where I camp (a habit I gained in grizz country), maybe a handful of nuts and/or raisins. On the southern AT, I found so many sites with deep leaf duff, just out of sight of the trail, I didn't even need a pad and usually didn't need to pitch a shelter. I laid down for ten hours, got up and started walking again.

An aside: I'm a retired wildland firefighter, and I while I enjoyed that soft ground, I remember being distressed at the amount of leaf duff back in '08, thinking, "I sure hope this never burns."

MtDoraDave
02-09-2017, 22:22
While I never attended a survival school, when I got stationed in 29 Palms, CA, they had us sit through some classes on desert survival. One of the takeaways I remember was that they said NOT to try to ration water. "If you're thirsty, drink. It does more good in your body than it does in your canteen" They went on to say that often the dead bodies they found in the desert had canteens with water in them.
Granted, I don't think you should chug a whole liter just because you are a little thirsty - regular sipping is probably a much more efficient way of getting water to absorb into our system.

Sometimes I'll fill both my water bottles, and fill a "spare" reservoir or bladder/ bags of water to filter later if it's only a short hike to where I'll be camping... I'd rather carry a little extra weight than not have enough in the morning - because I don't like to double back, and if it's really cold, I don't like getting water in the morning.

One last thought. Last Fall, in the southern part of the AT, several of the "reliable" water sources were dry. I carried more water than usual because I didn't know where water would be. If I were going to do a dry camp in those conditions, I'd want the ability to carry twice my "normal" full load.

theory
02-09-2017, 23:59
How much water are you guys drinking a day (on average) when dry camping? Somebody said when "Aron Ralston" had only a few sips of water left that it would have been better to drink it all instead of trying to prolong it for the entire time he was trapped. Do you guys disagree with this? I personally think prolonging food/water as long as possible is better unless it's too small of an amount then just using it all at once is more beneficial.

Thanks for all the tips.

Slo-go'en
02-10-2017, 01:03
How much water are you guys drinking a day (on average) when dry camping?

I think you mean to ask "how much water do you use at a dry camp". Water source locations are well documented along the AT so you can plan when and where you'll need to get water. So, when you get to a water source near the end of the day, you fill up with as much water as you think you'll need to get to the next source the next day. For most people, that will be whatever amount they have the capacity to carry. But one has to be careful in the late summer months as some locations will be dry and can't be counted on.

Exactly how much depends mostly if you have to cook or not. Cooking will typically demand at least 2 cups of water for a dinner. If you also have to cook in the morning, there's another cup. Plus what you want to drink. You might want to brush your teeth too. 3L minimum for cook option, 2L for no cook option.

Odd Man Out
02-10-2017, 01:25
In the summer I will want 3 liters. I will use one for cooking supper, making tea, and drinking before bed. I have a bottle by me at night. If I was sweating a lot the day before, I takes a while to rehydrate. I will repeatedly wake up in the middle of the night thirsty so I take a sip. Last summer I drank a whole liter over night. I will want the last liter to drink in the morning to get me to the next water source.

nsherry61
02-10-2017, 12:10
How much water are you guys drinking a day (on average) when dry camping? . . .
As noted elsewhere, it depends on how much you would normally drink between the last and next water source and how much you drink overnight.
If I am not cooking in camp, so I don't have to carry cooking and clean-up water, I can easily get by on as little as a pint and not stress too much if the next water source is only an hour or less away.

Again, if not cooking in camp, I would recommend carrying what you think you would carry anyway if you were not camping, and then add a pint or so to manage your overnight water needs. If you are going to cook between water sources, add the amount of water you need to cook the meals your are going to cook.

DuneElliot
02-10-2017, 12:12
As noted elsewhere, it depends on how much you would normally drink between the last and next water source and how much you drink overnight.
If I am not cooking in camp, so I don't have to carry cooking and clean-up water, I can easily get by on as little as a pint and not stress too much if the next water source is only an hour or less away.

Again, if not cooking in camp, I would recommend carrying what you think you would carry anyway if you were not camping, and then add a pint or so to manage your overnight water needs. If you are going to cook between water sources, add the amount of water you need to cook the meals your are going to cook.

Since I generally don't like cooking in the evening when getting to camp, and definitely prefer to cook a bigger meal during the day (for afternoon energy boost), it is easier to dry camp when all you need is a little drinking water.

Bronk
02-10-2017, 13:16
Know where the last water source is before your dry camp...sit there and drink 2 quarts of water before filling your bottles. I typically use 4 quarts of water a day while hiking...if I camp near water I take 2 quarts with me when I leave in the morning and that usually lasts me the day...then I use 2 quarts in the evening cooking dinner and rehydrating.

StubbleJumper
02-10-2017, 13:37
I use a rule of thumb that I need 1litre of water per 5 miles, with an adjustment for temperatures and amount of climbing. So if there's 10 miles between reliable water sources, I typically carry 2 litres.

To camp overnight, I tend to use about 3 litres.

garlic08
02-10-2017, 13:44
In temperate weather, on good trail, with plenty of water sources (AT hike), I'll plan for one liter per ten miles, one liter to camp.

I've done plenty of overnight desert crossings in cooler temps, up to 45 miles between water sources, with six liters of water and have some left over to get out to emergency water if needed.

In temps exceeding 90F, I adjust up a bit.

theory
02-10-2017, 23:29
Is anybody drinking a gallon of water a day when thru hiking? I keep thinking this is what my body needs (at least) if not more.

nsherry61
02-10-2017, 23:42
Is anybody drinking a gallon of water a day when thru hiking? I keep thinking this is what my body needs (at least) if not more.
I doubt I drink a full gallon a day unless it is exceedingly hot. In winter, spring, and fall, I probably drink 1.5 to 2 L a day, not counting breakfast and dinner. In summer, I've drunk up to a gallon a day on hot days with high mileage. But, more often I probably drink 2 - 3 liters plus whatever for breakfast and dinner. Since I generally drink quite a bit (never more than a liter) when I fill up with water, I don't keep really close track of how much I drink.

Falls Down Goes Boom
02-11-2017, 00:21
I use a rule of thumb that I need 1litre of water per 5 miles, with an adjustment for temperatures and amount of climbing. So if there's 10 miles between reliable water sources, I typically carry 2 litres.

To camp overnight, I tend to use about 3 litres.

I'm about the same. If the hiking weather is 70 degrees or less, then 1 liter every 5 miles is about right. Once it gets above 80, then 1 liter every 3 miles. Camping overnight is 2 liters.

Sarcasm the elf
02-11-2017, 00:34

In the summer I use 4-5 liters of water a day on the trail, however as I said above, I sweat a lot and drink more water than average.

MtDoraDave
02-11-2017, 09:40
Initially, I carried too much. That is what I would recommend. Carry more than you think is necessary until you know how much you need to carry. Being / getting dehydrated is not safe. Muscle cramping, decreased ability to regulate heat (in the winter), and plenty of other health issues can occur from being dehydrated.

In the summer, down here in FL when the temp is in the mid 90's, I drank a gallon of water in 12 miles. In cooler weather, on the AT, I've hiked 13 or so miles on 1.5 liters. <-- That wasn't enough water, but I don't feel as thirsty when it's cold out, so I forget to drink. When I got to camp that evening, I drank a lot to catch up - and had to get up to pee during the night - and it was very cold that night.

DuneElliot
02-11-2017, 10:25
A gallon 3.7 liters...just for reference

colorado_rob
02-11-2017, 11:07
Good thread because if more folks start thinking about this, perhaps doing more of it (dry camping) will ease pressure and crowding at shelters/camps that have water (maybe already said, I haven't read responses here).

I chose to do this at least a couple dozen times throughout my AT hike, with the amount of water I'd schlep up to a nights rest varying all over the place, from 2-4 liters. As said, it depends on how far the next morning's water source is.

I love my hot tea at night (except in hot weather) and coffee in the morning (always!), basically "cameling up" with these beverages, then drink less than most during the day. So 2-liters (quarts) minimum for me to a dry camp. More if the next day's source is a long hike.

Washing dishes? what's that? I use maybe an ounce of water to brush my teeth.

And yeah, lots of confusion on LNT campsite ethics out there.

ScareBear
02-11-2017, 11:16
The volume of water needed increases proportionately to the level of energy expended. But that isn't telling you anything you didn't already know/suspect. Within that need are the individual physical differences. Some don't burn as much water to achieve the same mileage. Water is "burned" by the process of your body creating energy and by your body attempting to maintain homeostatic internal temperature. The water burned by your body creating energy should be fairly similar across persons. The big variable is in the water used to cool the individual body. And, here is where individual differences really come into play.

SarcasmTheElf is spot on there. He recognizes he perspires way more than average and adjusts his water intake accordingly. I am pretty much with him. With me, I think it is due to my body "running hot" when exercising. I attach some/most of the blame to a specific autoimmune issue I deal with.

So, in other words, your individual need will vary wildly, depending on your body.

For me, like Sarcasm, I need water. Not a surprising amount, but more than normal. Plus, I have more water inside my body, due to my size, than many folks. (Not huge, just 6'1" 210#, big frame). So, for me, I pretty much roll with 3L after stopping at a watering hole, unless it is really hot and humid or I know it will be more than 7 miles to the next water. My rate of consumption on the trail does vary greatly depending on temperature. Below 70 degrees all day and I will use about 1L in 4 to 5 miles. Above that and it goes down to 1L for every 3 to 4 miles. So, if I know I am going to dry camp, and the next days hike is 4 miles to water, then I need at least 1L when I break camp. Add to that 1L for the evening and meal(2 cups for a meal is the standard) and 1L for the morning meal and the absolute minimum I will land in camp with at the end of the day for a dry camp and 4 mile hike out is 3L. Note that is a MINIMUM. If I know before I start my hike that I will dry camp at least one night(and really, shouldn't we all know that before we start our hike?)I will bring the extra 3L Nalgene soft canteen and hang it with a biner off the back of the pack and come in to camp with at least 4L of water. Like another poster said, you can wake up with a powerful thirst in the middle of the night and down 500ml in no time flat....

A year or two ago there was a thread about "running dry" and how some people thought it was no big deal. Please remember that wet organs prefer to stay wet. The first organ you damage by running dry are your kidneys. The most minor damage comes in the formation of crystals that bind together to form kidney stones. The more major damage comes in the form of actual tissue/membrane damage. Continual efforts at running dry(hiking without water) will lead to kidney stones. Not if, just when. If you've ever passed one, or couldn't and had to have a....ahem....device inserted into your...ahem...tender bits....and snaked through your bladder, up your ureter and to the blockage to break it up and take out the big pieces, you will testify that you will never, ever run dry again. Ever. That kind of pain should be reserved for child birth...just sayin....

swjohnsey
02-11-2017, 11:43
I dry camped most nights. Cooked dinner at last water source. Left with 2 full 1l Gatorade bottles. Had enough water for coffee in the morning and a drink at night with bedtime snack. Usually left in the morning with 1 full Gatorade to drink and cook breakfast on the trail after a couple of hours walking. I like to carrying a collapsed 3l Platypus bladder for long dry stretches but seldom use it.

I usually only carry a liter of water on the AT, camel up.

In an emergency knowing water is short go for as long as you can before drinking. You want your body to go into dehydration mode, no use peeing out scarce water. Your body also starts trying to recover more water from you poop. Also, try not to break a sweat, nice and slow.

CalebJ
03-06-2017, 10:29
In the summer I use 4-5 liters of water a day on the trail, however as I said above, I sweat a lot and drink more water than average.

I was at roughly 11 liters last year doing the 4 state challenge. Hot/humid day and long, quick miles really pulled the water out. Lots of fluid and regular salt tabs to keep up.