PDA

View Full Version : Expect snow this weekend in Pisgah?

Gambit McCrae
02-07-2017, 12:21
I hate polluting the forum but out of lack of experience in winter hiking I want to ask. I would have included in my "Pisgah cell service" thread but due to its title, hasn't gotten a lot of responses.

Going to the Art Loeb Trail this weekend.
Should we expect snow? I was on max patch last sat and more or less zero snow. The BRP thru Pisgah is closed (so the map says), due to snow and ice. The town of Brevard weather forecast is in the 50-60s this weekend, 72 on Sunday! So that would mean in the 40-50s in the mountains? But how is that going to translate to the ALT up at high elevation? Just don't want to get caught unprepared is all. First night on the trail is Friday, going home Sunday.

Tipi Walter
02-07-2017, 12:26
When you say Pisgah you should remember there are several Pisgah districts---Grandfather ranger district, Shining Rock district and the Linville Gorge area including the Wildson Creek area with Harper Creek and Upper Creek and Lost Cove Creek etc. Also Roan Mt is in Pisgah.

Ashepabst
02-07-2017, 12:38
here's the NOAA point forecast for Black Balsam at elevation:
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-82.8741759439379&lat=35.32852659069644#.WJn3bE3na70

Gambit McCrae
02-07-2017, 12:47
When you say Pisgah you should remember there are several Pisgah districts---Grandfather ranger district, Shining Rock district and the Linville Gorge area including the Wildson Creek area with Harper Creek and Upper Creek and Lost Cove Creek etc. Also Roan Mt is in Pisgah.

I did not know that, We will be on the Entire length of the ALT, and a side trip up to Sams knob. Tipi with your experience I value hearing back from you on your opinion of expectations this weekend along the black balsam mtn area giving our past, and projected weather forecasts thru Sunday. Thanks in advance

Dogwood
02-07-2017, 12:47
I might get some snow likely a sleety mix where I'm going. Shouldn't be anything deep though. Not letting it stop me. I want the snow, the ice on the trees and waterfalls. Makes things more scenic. I need this!

Tipi Walter
02-07-2017, 13:03
I did not know that, We will be on the Entire length of the ALT, and a side trip up to Sams knob. Tipi with your experience I value hearing back from you on your opinion of expectations this weekend along the black balsam mtn area giving our past, and projected weather forecasts thru Sunday. Thanks in advance

I am currently too far away to really know what the conditions will be like in the Shining Rock area, but you can bet with the elevations there will be some nastiness---or beneficent blessings all depending on outlook and your love for snow. I'd study the pertinent forecasts and go from there.

When I'm planning a winter backpacking trip I look closely at the immediate forecast and try to get my shuttle ride out and dropped off before the roads get bad. What happens after that I could care less about because I want to see it turn ugly---got my snow shovel and microspikes and subzero bag so I'm ready. In fact I'm prepping now for a soon-February shove-off into the beloved Snowbirds.

When I pull a Mt Rogers trip in the winter I'm more worried about getting in and out with my car than I am about the actual backpacking trip.

The last time I was in Shining Rock I was on Flat Laurel Creek and camped below Sam's Knob.

The Cleaner
02-07-2017, 13:56
Even temps near 50* are quite chilly with 20-30 mph winds which are common on the high elevation balds.Most hikers use UL 3 season tents which turn into wind tunnels in the winter weather.

Gambit McCrae
02-07-2017, 14:23
Even temps near 50* are quite chilly with 20-30 mph winds which are common on the high elevation balds.Most hikers use UL 3 season tents which turn into wind tunnels in the winter weather.

5-15 Deg BAGS

3 TarpTent Stratosprires

Exped down mats

Rain jackets and heavier puffys

Tennessee Viking
02-07-2017, 14:47
I have heard there will be a heavy frost Thursday>Friday. Going to be windy all weekend. With it warming up Saturday and Sunday.

gpburdelljr
02-07-2017, 17:51
I can't attest to its accuracy, but here is a sight where you can get AT weather forecasts.

https://www.atweather.org/forecast?myTrail=AT&myState=NC&myShelter=24

Tipi Walter
02-07-2017, 18:21
I can't attest to its accuracy, but here is a sight where you can get AT weather forecasts.

https://www.atweather.org/forecast?myTrail=AT&myState=NC&myShelter=24

Very excellent link and I punched in Sassafras Shelter in NC below Cheoah Bald which is close to where my upcoming trip will occur. Of course I won't reach that area for at least a week.