PDA

View Full Version : Somewhat pathetic question.

bamboo bob
02-07-2017, 18:50
I read a journal where someone took an Uber from town to trail in Florida. Anyone ever get an Uber anywhere on the AT? Front Royal or someplace?

Maineiac64
02-07-2017, 18:53
It would be nice to have an app to ride share near trail heads though.

V Eight
02-08-2017, 09:52
I know a gal in Blacksburg, VA that drives for Uber part time some weekends. Last year, she had several calls to go out to the Hwy 42 crossing near Newport. She called me a once, because the hikers wanted to be picked up at the top of Brushy Mtn near the Audie Murphy monument. That road is not very car friendly, especially in a pouring rain. Piece of cake in the Jeep & it's only 7 miles from the house. :)

V8

Engine
02-08-2017, 14:03
It would be nice to have an app to ride share near trail heads though. That is a very good idea...

Don's Brother
02-08-2017, 22:48
I read a journal where someone took an Uber from town to trail in Florida. Anyone ever get an Uber anywhere on the AT? Front Royal or someplace?
Although I don't remember it being an Uber, I used a car service from NY 17 at Arden Valley Rd. to the Bear Mountain Bridge Motel in Ft. Montgomery, and back to the trail at NY 17 the following morning, on my 2013 thru-hike. I also used taxis several times. The first was from Hogpen Gap into Helen, GA.

V Eight
02-09-2017, 13:11
I also used taxis several times. The first was from Hogpen Gap into Helen, GA.

Do you remember how much that cost?

V8

Don's Brother
02-09-2017, 21:50
Do you remember how much that cost?

V8
I seem to remember the taxi in GA was around $20. Doug of Alpine Taxi out of Helen. That was in 2013. His rate may be higher now. I got a free ride back to the trail at Hogpen Gap the following morning.

jj dont play
02-10-2017, 00:13
Remember a sign sign at George outerbridge shelter saying the next town now had uber. Whatever town that is right before the superfund site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puddlefish
02-10-2017, 10:35
Out of curiosity, I checked from Springer to Bland, VA. Didn't see one available car. Might have been the time of day I was checking. A cab driver in Hiawassee, GA told me that most of the taxi drivers in the area just work the bar closing shift. Might be more Uber drivers available in the evenings as well.