PDA

View Full Version : Resupply stop after Neel's Gap?

specter
01-22-2006, 12:51
I'm planning an outing this spring starting at the Walasi-Yi north bound. The thing is, I'm not sure where the next logical resupply stop is. Do I need to go off trail to Hiawassee? Is that even really a viable option? I'm just not sure how many days worth of food to pack. Where do you thru hikers normally resupply in that area? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Lone Wolf
01-22-2006, 12:55
Hiawassee is an easy hitch. Lotsa hikers go in there or you could hike 50 more miles and go into Franklin which is also an easy hitch.

Smile
01-22-2006, 16:07
Hiawassee is a great resupply place. Good food around too, a great sushi place/thai food/chinese all under one roof ( far end of town). Plenty of hotels and lots of hiker friendly stuff in the Ingles there.

Hitching is definately easy especially on weekends. Lots of day hikers and cars and folks coming and going.

mikecordes
01-27-2006, 00:43
Jack Tarlin posted a detailed resupply list last year. It gives you all the resupply points between Springer and Katadin...

Jack Tarlin
01-27-2006, 15:56
Please note that the article referred to can be found in the "Articles" section of Whiteblaze, and while it contains much information that folks might find useful, it does NOT cite or mention ALL re-supply sources, as there are quite simply too many to mention.

The article lists the major ones and the ones that seem to be most frequently used by recent hikers, and emphasizes the ones that worked out for me, but there are certainly many omissions.

scope
03-11-2006, 19:33
If you're not interested in hitching to Hiawassee or Helen, you might try Mocassin Creek State Park 6 miles south of Addis Gap. There's a little store at the campground with basic stuff/snacks. Less than a mile down the road is a small groc store.

The trail is 'unmanaged', but I understand the Ga AT club whacked it in Feb so it should be easy enough to follow along the flow of the streams. Camp near one of the two waterfalls along the trail. Its a nice detour if you're not interested in going to town.

tech30528
04-09-2006, 13:15
The guys who run the Hiawassee Inn offer shuttle services to Dick's Creek Gap and Unicoi Gap north of Helen. You can call them to arrarnge a drop at Unicoi, and send them your supplies. It's 8 miles from Unicoi Gap in to Helen. It's a great place to take a break for a couple of days, lots of places to eat and drink, but the outfitter store in town closed last year. So now you basically have Betty's Grocery Store (definately worth a visit) and the Ace Hardware in town. There is a supply store on the south end of town, but they are geared toward fly fishing, not hiking. If you decide to stop in for a break, leave me a message. My wife works at the Hampton Inn in Helen, and I can get discounted rates for hikers.

Tree-girl
04-10-2006, 11:45
Hiawassee was a very easy hitch, and the town has just about everything you'd need. You can stay at the blueberry Patch to, and get a free ride back to the trail. If you get to the gap at 9am or 9:30 am, then you would probably be able to get a ride from the Blueberry Patch owner, when he drops off hikers in the morning. It's also free to stay there. I waited until Franklin to resupply, and that worked out fine. That's also not a hard hitch, as has been said.

mnof1000v
04-10-2006, 13:55
Neel's Gap is convenient, but slightly over-priced. You do pay for the convenience of not having to leave the trail. For me, it was worth it.

Hiawassee, is a nice little town, and if you do hitch in (EASY, EASY, EASY!!!) you really ought to hit the Steak/AYCE in town - though the name is escaping me now.

Franklin is a bit further from the trail. Hitching may be difficult just for that reason, but Ron Havens (I think that's his name) runs shuttles all over the place in that area. I stayed in one of his hotels in Franklin, and he didn't charge me for the shuttle, which I used to get to the P.O., grocery store, outfitter, and back to the trail. I don't know if he'd charge a non-staying hiker. His number is listed in Wingfoot's book.

Big Oz
04-10-2006, 15:17
Neel's Gap is convenient, but slightly over-priced. You do pay for the convenience of not having to leave the trail. For me, it was worth it.

Hiawassee, is a nice little town, and if you do hitch in (EASY, EASY, EASY!!!) you really ought to hit the Steak/AYCE in town - though the name is escaping me now.

Franklin is a bit further from the trail. Hitching may be difficult just for that reason, but Ron Havens (I think that's his name) runs shuttles all over the place in that area. I stayed in one of his hotels in Franklin, and he didn't charge me for the shuttle, which I used to get to the P.O., grocery store, outfitter, and back to the trail. I don't know if he'd charge a non-staying hiker. His number is listed in Wingfoot's book.828-524-4403 I don't think Budget Inn charges any hikers for local shuttles