PDA

View Full Version : Question for any gram weenie engineering type???

saltysack
02-08-2017, 09:37
Thinking about drilling holes to lighten up this 2.2 oz iPhone 7+ case....how many holes and what size and still maintain a decent amount of integrity? Yea u guess I've lost my mind!!![emoji51]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170208/2df0e3dc8090f4d7d9be837c4b005708.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilgodwin
02-08-2017, 10:13
I'm not a gram weenie, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

I'd do something like this, removing all the red spaces. A little more than drilling holes. But still easily accomplished.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170208/c43eab229027046fd47af3d3baaad9b1.jpg

Granted, you might want to start by dividing each triangle up into 2 first. So there will be twice as many smaller triangles. See how that works. If you want to go further, then cut some of the dividing spaces out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

saltysack
02-08-2017, 10:18
I'm not a gram weenie, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

I'd do something like this, removing all the red spaces. A little more than drilling holes. But still easily accomplished.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170208/c43eab229027046fd47af3d3baaad9b1.jpg

Granted, you might want to start by dividing each triangle up into 2 first. So there will be twice as many smaller triangles. See how that works. If you want to go further, then cut some of the dividing spaces out.

Thx good idea

colorado_rob
02-08-2017, 10:18
I am an ex-aerospace structural engineer and a gram weenie... I see no problem with those red cutouts, but I doubt if that is more than a couple grams of material. How much does that case weigh now? Why not lose the case entirely? I never have used any cases for my cell phones, I just use a small zip-lock for phone on hikes.

lilgodwin
02-08-2017, 10:25
I love true phone cases with a good clip. I doubt I'll ever go without one. EXCEPT maybe on the trail because I don't plan on using my phone much. At least not in the traditional sense. I am thinking of listening to audiobooks. But I'm definitely not a gram weenie, so I don't care to desecrate my case, lol.

4eyedbuzzard
02-08-2017, 11:14
If I were going on a long hike where weight was a big concern, I think I'd go without it and just use a ziplock freezer bag.

FWIW, I carry my Galaxy S7 in an Otterbox most of the time. And while it's tough and has saved the phone quite a few times at work and play, it's remarkably heavy - as in the weight of the phone itself! The phone is 153 grams, but the Otterbox case alone is 85 grams + the 62 gram belt clip holster.

Gambit McCrae
02-08-2017, 11:42
I have had 5 iphones, all for 2 years. Every one of them have been put in an otter box the day I got it, and other then while cleaning case and phone 3-4 times a year, the case is always on. I have never had a broken cell phone, scratches, water damage. I have had great success for my otterbox investment.

FYI field tests were done on the iphone 7, other then some speaker malfunctions, the phone seems to be waterproof for up to 30 min under water

saltysack
02-08-2017, 11:53
[QUOTE=colorado_rob;2125975]I am an ex-aerospace structural engineer and a gram weenie... I see no problem with those red cutouts, but I doubt if that is more than a couple grams of material. How much does that case weigh now? Why not lose the case entirely? I never have used any cases for my cell phones, I just use a small zip-lock for

Damn Rob...your way over qualified for this!!![emoji3]
I'd prefer to simply keep in hip belt pocket but doesn't fit in my new pack...MLD prophet. I like having iPhone handy for guthooks apps,tunes and pix...I ordered a few cuben pouches Ron sells but requires it to be clipped across my chest between shoulder straps just below sternum strap....seems to work fine but requires me to clip and unclip a beener on one side to remove pack and really prefer not having anything else across my chest....the phone in the clip in much smaller which can be clipped to shoulder strap or sternum strap. The pouch would be great where I need more room but really there's way more space than i need in this 48l pack.

Miner
02-08-2017, 12:07
Just buy a cheap rubber case to cushion the phone if you drop it. No need for clips while backpacking as that case looks to be beefier bthan needed. To have the phone easily accessible while hiking, just get a 0.5oz shoulder pouch that many of the UL cottage manufacturers make.

saltysack
02-08-2017, 12:20
Just buy a cheap rubber case to cushion the phone if you drop it. No need for clips while backpacking as that case looks to be beefier bthan needed. To have the phone easily accessible while hiking, just get a 0.5oz shoulder pouch that many of the UL cottage manufacturers make.

Phone is to large as I've tried a few pouches. I also tried a MLD water bottle holder pouch in which it fits but flops around....but before I cut up the case I'm going to try to make a shoulder strap holder from shock cord similar to a water bottle holder...

saltysack
02-08-2017, 12:23

The actual case....lifeproof fre is pretty light and waterproof...belt clip is bulky...

Dogwood
02-08-2017, 12:31

This^^^ I strongly question you're that UL advanced saving 15 grams by doing this should be a priority. Next you'll be going down the 'Stovie' rabbit hole with spreadsheets of fuel usage, titanium wind screens, how many holes to cut out of cat can, etc. Then comes weighing shoe laces replacing with dental floss or giving consideration to hiking barefoot to save on shoe wt, .34 and .51 Dyneema Composite everything giving serious consideration of using a .34 ZPacks Hexamid Pocket Tarp for you Andes Traverse, shaving all the hair off your body, deleting device messages because you assume the digital "0's'' and "1's" weigh something, weighing plastic baggies, counting M&M's, using the JRT as a pillow and source of food and to haul your crap......:p

saltysack
02-08-2017, 12:49
This^^^ I strongly question you're that UL advanced saving 15 grams by doing this should be a priority. Next you'll be going down the 'Stovie' rabbit hole with spreadsheets of fuel usage, titanium wind screens, how many holes to cut out of cat can, etc. Then comes weighing shoe laces replacing with dental floss or giving consideration to hiking barefoot to save on shoe wt, .34 and .51 Dyneema Composite everything giving serious consideration of using a .34 ZPacks Hexamid Pocket Tarp for you Andes Traverse, shaving all the hair off your body, deleting device messages because you assume the digital "0's'' and "1's" weigh something, weighing plastic baggies, counting M&M's, using the JRT as a pillow and source of food and to haul your crap......:p

[emoji23]

MuddyWaters
02-08-2017, 12:56
Zip lock is all I use on trail

lilgodwin
02-08-2017, 13:03
I about lost it at "deleting messages on your phone", lol!

Cheyou
02-08-2017, 13:06
Yes you are going crazy.

saltysack
02-08-2017, 13:25
Zip lock is all I use on trail

Having access to the phone without taking my pack off is what I'm trying to achieve...

MuddyWaters
02-08-2017, 13:28
Having access to the phone without taking my pack off is what I'm trying to achieve...

What...no pockets on your britches?

Mine stays in pocket when used as camera, not pack

RangerZ
02-08-2017, 13:44
I have had 5 iphones, all for 2 years. Every one of them have been put in an otter box the day I got it, and other then while cleaning case and phone 3-4 times a year, the case is always on. I have never had a broken cell phone, scratches, water damage. I have had great success for my otterbox investment.

FYI field tests were done on the iphone 7, other then some speaker malfunctions, the phone seems to be waterproof for up to 30 min under water

+1 on the Otter box. I have both my iphone and Blackberry (yes, I work for the government :banana) in Otter boxes. I managed to drop my iphone and kick it about 10 feet before it hit the ground, the Otter box kept it safe. Both phones are in pristine condition. Now, if I only didn't go through ear buds so fast I'd be happy.

saltysack
02-08-2017, 13:49
What...no pockets on your britches?

Mine stays in pocket when used as camera, not pack

I wear jogging shorts with shallow pockets...guess could try different shorts but like my nylon shorts..

MuddyWaters
02-08-2017, 13:59
To each their own
I keep tp, map/profile, camera/phone in my pockets
Shorts are ~ 5oz heavier, but just how I like it.

Deacon
02-08-2017, 14:10
My first year out I used a Lifeproof case. It certainly kept my phone dry, but I found the case interfered with screen sensitivity, sound to a degree, and picture quality, especially with the flash function in lower light.

I carried that phone in my ZPacks shoulder pouch and realized it never really got wet even in rain, because the top of the pouch drew up over the phone. I eliminated the case altogether, still carry in the shoulder pouch, and haven't had a problem with it getting too wet.

Christoph
02-08-2017, 14:18
My Droid Maxx is in an Otterbox but man that thing is heavy. I didn't have good luck without one as I dropped it at the crossing of I-40 right in the middle of the road of all things. I'll probably go with one of those cheapo rubber types that surround the edges of the screen and that should suffice. I normally keep in a Ziplok in my pack, but I was taking a pic at the time and got clumsy.

saltysack
02-08-2017, 14:24
My first year out I used a Lifeproof case. It certainly kept my phone dry, but I found the case interfered with screen sensitivity, sound to a degree, and picture quality, especially with the flash function in lower light.

I carried that phone in my ZPacks shoulder pouch and realized it never really got wet even in rain, because the top of the pouch drew up over the phone. I eliminated the case altogether, still carry in the shoulder pouch, and haven't had a problem with it getting too wet.

Yea they have improved most of the the earlier issues. I'm too rough on a $700 phone not to have in a case...

saltysack
02-08-2017, 14:37
pictures of what I'm talking about...MLD chest pouch is lightest option....https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170208/5a31c271b3a926ef89fd6cfb88ef0818.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170208/9123687a8f15426dd8506a5fd7f5e6f9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170208/b07fa70071c345dae5540de1248b6395.jpg

Dogwood
02-08-2017, 15:13
Are you sure that's the lightest wt option? How about something like this which can be bought to store backstage passes, security credentials, etc made of other materials like plastic with sealable top flaps for less than $5. http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/zip_pouches.shtml

ZP's shoulder harness pouch might work too.
http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/shoulderpouch.shtml

How about the shoulder pouch from MLD so your pouch and MLD prophet is fashionably color coordinated? :D
http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=46&products_id=71

If you're willing to DIY NASA or Structural Engineer your case with webbing openings these are ridiculously simple DIY no engineering degree required projects often made with scrap materials or buying cheap alternatives. I may have some schematic diagrams for you if you know CAD for sale if you want? :D I'm just busting your chops.

JC13
02-08-2017, 15:25
Did you look at the Travel Zip Pouch from ZPacks? I was looking at using it for my iPhone 6+ as the GG Virga 2 has no hip or shoulder pockets.

la.lindsey
02-08-2017, 15:46
Those sharp corner cutouts would be stress concentrators and likely crack the case if you dropped it. I'd do holes if you're going to cut it, or at least round the edges.

saltysack
02-08-2017, 16:01
MLD shoulder pouch is too small but looks like the travel pouch could work but really not wanting to spend anymore $. I just emailed Ron to see if he'd make a small wasabi chest pouch....

Dogwood
02-08-2017, 16:07
Those sharp corner cutouts would be stress concentrators and likely crack the case if you dropped it. I'd do holes if you're going to cut it, or at least round the edges.

Fillets would help.

bamboo bob
02-08-2017, 16:16
Do you shave all the hair on your body? Or does a razor weigh more than hair?

Dogwood
02-08-2017, 16:23
I've seen thru-hikers slap a large piece of velcro onto the back of their device and to a shoulder strap. Ouila. Just keep the velcro semi clean or replace it part way through a long hike.

JC13
02-08-2017, 16:32
Do you shave all the hair on your body? Or does a razor weigh more than hair?You shave before you go, then as it gradually grows back, you gain the strength to support it.

saltysack
02-08-2017, 16:32
Do you shave all the hair on your body? Or does a razor weigh more than hair?

Haaa....shaving is over rated...

saltysack
02-08-2017, 17:26
Just got an email back from Ron...he's going to make one to hold the phone in matching wasabi dyneema...that's top notch customer service!!! Another reason to support cottage gear companies when possible! MLD ROCKS...might I add free of charge!!!!!

saltysack
02-08-2017, 21:27

Yea I'm sure Apple still doesn't warranty against moisture.....go figure...

Harrison Bergeron
02-08-2017, 22:14
Cutting holes in your iphone case? Seriously?

It's amazing how much I worried over gear weight BEFORE I actually spent any time on the trail. Then, after all that worrying, the first week I still sent two pounds of junk home that I'd thought was essential. But by the fourth week I was wondering why I wasted the postage.

This kind of stuff will seem kinda dumb once you get your legs. I thought I was a gram weenie when I started. But a few weeks later I found myself humping a glass bottle over mountains for a week because I didn't have anything better to hold the remains of a half-pint of Jamesons I'd bought in town. I sure as hell wasn't going to throw away (or chug!) perfectly good Irish just to save a measly pound of glass!

Wyoming
02-08-2017, 22:36
Phone goes in waterproof case, which goes in cuben fiber waterproof pouch and then into cuben fiber belt pouch. Easy to get to and one does not have to do all of the layering unless it is going to rain a bunch.

I have committed to the phone for GPS and all map functions (I carry no maps) so the taking care of the phone is critical. People break phones a lot and get them wet and they go bad. I think carrying them in one of those clips is just a bad idea from the start - holes or not. Too easy to lose the phone or break it when you fall down - and you are going to fall down. Put the phone in a pocket which closes and you cannot lose it and it is easier to protect it. YMMV

Wyoming
02-08-2017, 22:40
Haaa....shaving is over rated...

Hah! You can't be a real gram weenie if you have long hair and a beard. I am always shaking my shaved head when someone is telling me how low their base weight is and they are carrying a lb or two of hair and beard - and I'm not even counting the stuff stuck in the beard or living in the hair. Just saying :)

saltysack
02-09-2017, 07:12
Phone goes in waterproof case, which goes in cuben fiber waterproof pouch and then into cuben fiber belt pouch. Easy to get to and one does not have to do all of the layering unless it is going to rain a bunch.

I have committed to the phone for GPS and all map functions (I carry no maps) so the taking care of the phone is critical. People break phones a lot and get them wet and they go bad. I think carrying them in one of those clips is just a bad idea from the start - holes or not. Too easy to lose the phone or break it when you fall down - and you are going to fall down. Put the phone in a pocket which closes and you cannot lose it and it is easier to protect it. YMMV

Yea I agree...Ron is making me a sternum strap pouch that it will fit in...I also use my phone for many things while out....only reason was looking at using the belt clip was due to the fact phone doesn't fit into hip belt pouches.