PDA

View Full Version : Anti-chaffing GOO, what's it to YOU?

llittle_llama
02-08-2017, 13:40
So my first time hiking I had no idea that chaffing was a thing. I was in Texas and did about 12 miles in the open sun 115 degree heat (Heat doesn't bother me) for a few hours and up until the last .5 mile everything was great. Once I hit that last bit I knew something had gone TERRIBLY wrong!!!!!!!! Fast forward a year and my wife and I moved to Roanoke VA. and I started hiking the AT in small sections and started buying gear. My first time at the local outfitter the sales associate asked what I was using and I told her nothing, that I was just not walking too far each day. She sold me some "Sportslick (http://www.sportslick.com/)" and it was pretty good. I used it for the next two years and liked it but now I need to get something for the thru-hike and don't want to order that again if there is something else that is more well regarded.

Seatbelt
02-08-2017, 15:36
https://sportfactoryproshop.com/bodyglide-original-anti-chafe-balm-45-oz/?utm_medium=googleshopping&utm_source=bc&gclid=CjwKEAiAoOvEBRDD25uyu9Lg9ycSJAD0cnByb2ZeYcsp RYnfelXGMlOvgp5CQuh_vPAEYN555ZL7ZBoC4Hzw_wcB

This works quite well for me.

bamboo bob
02-08-2017, 15:43
I don't always use chafing goo but when I do I use Glide. But I don't carry it until I need it. And just suck it up until the next town.

Dogwood
02-08-2017, 15:53
Contains petrolatum(petroleum jelly - which is made from oil sludge) and Triclosan.

bamboo bob
02-08-2017, 15:58
Contains petrolatum(petroleum jelly - which is made from oil sludge) and Triclosan. It works great we'll just have to suck up the climate impact too.

Dogwood
02-08-2017, 16:32
Shh, there're listening. It's all in doubt.

renais
02-08-2017, 16:51
If I need goo, I think Body Glide is great. I find that Anti-monkey butt powder works very well to prevent any problems in the first place. With fine tuning of my procedures, I have not had to use either on the last three years I've been hiking the AT. I think I may have had one very mild chafing problem one time. For me, boxer briefs, some reasonable attention to cleanliness, and letting things cool and dry when possible have made all the difference.

roys
02-08-2017, 16:53
I use a product called Two Toms sport shield. I get it at amazon. It works great. I was a bit surprised one year when, seemingly out of the blue, I had to deal with chaffing. Just part of the LD hikers learning curve, I guess.

saltysack
02-08-2017, 20:19
With good synthetic compression boxer briefs and body glide I never have issues...I apply and wash up 1-2 times per day. Stopping midday to wash my feet and reapply makes a huge difference...good hygiene goes along way...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nsherry61
02-08-2017, 20:25
My favorite skin lube, by far, it my cycling butt lube, chamois butt'r, or Assos chamois cream. These seem to last longer and work better than anything else for me and many other people I know. I use it between my toes, on my but, and anywhere else where skin lube is helpful.

llittle_llama
02-09-2017, 13:52
As former military (Army), I know how important keeping everything clean is. I have no issues stopping halfway through the day to reapply and clean either but I just wasn't all that impressed with sportslick to be honest. Way to hard to get out of the tube, messy as all get out, and hard to clean up after. Plus I don't know how the long term effects of 5 months of it on my thighs will be.

nsherry61
02-09-2017, 14:08
. . . Way to hard to get out of the tube, messy as all get out, and hard to clean up after. Plus I don't know how the long term effects of 5 months of it on my thighs will be. . .
If you try cycling chamois cream from a tube, it comes out about like toothpaste, pretty easily. You can buy little sample pouches of Chamois Butt'r to try and see how you like it (I carry these sample pack backpacking). I suppose it could be messy if you smear it around, but, it doesn't stain, it doesn't stink, it's not greasy and I've never though of it as messy. I've never had to "clean up after" because it's not sticky and greasy. It just kinda disappears, but still lubricates nicely.

I can speak with authority about what 5 months of daily use will do to your skin . . . you will have the softest and smoothest butt (or whatever area you are lubing) you've ever experience in your life. Think of a smooth nutrient cream soaking your skin for several hours every day that has anti-bacterial properties to reduce or eliminate chaffing sores, infected hair roots and whatnot.

llittle_llama
02-09-2017, 14:38
If you try cycling chamois cream from a tube, it comes out about like toothpaste, pretty easily. You can buy little sample pouches of Chamois Butt'r to try and see how you like it (I carry these sample pack backpacking). I suppose it could be messy if you smear it around, but, it doesn't stain, it doesn't stink, it's not greasy and I've never though of it as messy. I've never had to "clean up after" because it's not sticky and greasy. It just kinda disappears, but still lubricates nicely.

I can speak with authority about what 5 months of daily use will do to your skin . . . you will have the softest and smoothest butt (or whatever area you are lubing) you've ever experience in your life. Think of a smooth nutrient cream soaking your skin for several hours every day that has anti-bacterial properties to reduce or eliminate chaffing sores, infected hair roots and whatnot.

SOLD!!!! Buying a couple samples for the trail once I get home!

The sportslick is super greasy and is like trying to get a dry caulk out of a tube. You have to squeeze REALLY hard and then it comes out all at once. You have to wash your hands afterwards too :(

llittle_llama
02-10-2017, 00:20
Well I was reading up on the stuff and everything looked great :) I looked at a few others (for research) and was extremely unimpressed. I was all ready to make the purchase and then I ran across DZNuts (https://www.amazon.com/DZNuts-Chamois-Cream-ounce-120ml/dp/B001C6DIF0/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1486699539&sr=8-11&keywords=Chamois+Butt%27r). I hated the cutsy name, but I checked it out anyway. I like that it has the extras in it and if I don't like it I'll at least use it as a replacement for the sportslick around the house when I get back and order the other before I head out!

shelb
02-10-2017, 00:35
Body Glide... first marketed for people in sports... great for the legs, but you can also use it on heels or anywhere chaffing happens... It is not greasy (like petroleum jelly - YUCK!).

Definitely, it is the way to go - for both guys and gals (our scouts who need it use it...). Just don't share it! lol

nsherry61
02-10-2017, 00:36
. . . then I ran across DZNuts (https://www.amazon.com/DZNuts-Chamois-Cream-ounce-120ml/dp/B001C6DIF0/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1486699539&sr=8-11&keywords=Chamois+Butt%27r). . . I like that it has the extras in it . . .
Some people like the cool menthol of DZNuts, Huha Ride Glide, Euro-style Chamois Butt'r etc. Some people don't, and instead go for the standard Chamois Butt'r. I use whatever I have at the time, and right now it is actually DZNuts. But, all things being equal, I am not a big menthol fan, although my toes don't seem to really care. The Assos brand seems to last a little longer before needing to be reapplied. With Chamois Butt'r, I normally put it on first thing in the morning, then reapply about 1/2 way through the day. Sometimes I can get by with one application of Assos, but I prefer the smell of the Chamois Butt'r, what little there is. . . oh, so many butt cream options, so little time.

SkeeterPee
02-10-2017, 01:43
Body glide comes in a cream now. I use that on toes, balls of feet and anywhere else that blisters or chafes.

Cosmo
02-11-2017, 21:56
Then you've got to put the cream on with your fingers, and then eat breakfast with them. Body Glide/Two Toms is like stick deodorant, keeps your hands from smelling like your crotch...

Cosmo

KDogg
02-11-2017, 23:43
I found that once I switched compression style underwear that I no longer had any chafing issues and no need for any cream. One pair lasted all the way to Maine.

TTT
02-11-2017, 23:49
baby powder works wonders - try it