PDA

View Full Version : Virginia in Mid-August

Jagger
02-08-2017, 16:44
I am thinking about continuing my section hike of the AT and would like input on hiking from Damascus north for a couple hundred miles. My main question are about what type of weather to expect ( temps/rain ), mosquito issues, and crowds. I know no one can predict these things, but general thoughts would be great! Also, if anyone has a better suggestion to hike on the AT ( north of Damascus ) from August 20-Sept 5 please feel free to share that as I'm not against another section.
Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Turtle-2013
02-08-2017, 16:51
I live in that area and have hiked sections of the trail in nearly every season. The only special consideration that I can think of for that area, that time of year, is that many of the springs will be dry ... so you will need to carry extra water through certain sections. It can be hot, but that is past the worst of the heat. And except for lower elevations, I have never found the mosquito's to be a major issue ... but that is different for some people.

ScareBear
02-08-2017, 17:09
I am thinking about continuing my section hike of the AT and would like input on hiking from Damascus north for a couple hundred miles. My main question are about what type of weather to expect ( temps/rain ), mosquito issues, and crowds. I know no one can predict these things, but general thoughts would be great! Also, if anyone has a better suggestion to hike on the AT ( north of Damascus ) from August 20-Sept 5 please feel free to share that as I'm not against another section.

Sweltering hot. Possible severe thunderstorms, but likely little rainfall. Not many mosquitoes, it is pretty dry that time of year in that area of the AT...no crowds even though Labor Day weekend....YMMV...just sayin....

Pastor Bryon
02-08-2017, 22:13
I live in that area and have hiked sections of the trail in nearly every season. The only special consideration that I can think of for that area, that time of year, is that many of the springs will be dry ... so you will need to carry extra water through certain sections. It can be hot, but that is past the worst of the heat. And except for lower elevations, I have never found the mosquito's to be a major issue ... but that is different for some people.

+1
Definitely pay attention to the rainfall in the prior month, and fill up every chance you get. Snakes - keep an eye out. Not a lot, but just a reminder. Days are long. I know some folks start early and plan an extended nap in the afternoon to avoid hiking in the heat.

Odd Man Out
02-09-2017, 00:59
I did a VA section in July. Was worried about the heat and bugs but found up in mountains it wasn't too bad. Did have scattered thunderstorms most days. The weather was normal that week. Had there been a heat wave, things may have been different.

rafe
02-09-2017, 06:33
In '07 I did a long SOBO section starting Aug. 11 from eastern PA. It was a drought year but excessive heat was not an issue.

I hit Harpers Ferry on 8/26, and the north end of SNP on 8/31. Finished a few weeks later just north of Pearisburg.

That's not exactly the timetable you're asking about but may be a useful data point.

Engine
02-09-2017, 07:07
Oppressive heat is possible...longer stretches between water supply (likely, but not guaranteed)...less hikers on the trail...But WTH, you'll be outside and that trumps the few possible negatives.

johnnybgood
02-09-2017, 21:46
Did Massie Gap sobo first week of August last year and experienced dry, hot humid conditions. To your question ; August means abrupt weather changes so it's hard to say.
Best to prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
Water flow was slow at Thomas Knob shelter and not much better at Lost Mountain during my hike.
No Mosquitos but biting flies are a problem when camping around the open balds where the horses are.
Very popular section hike so if you want solitary time, not gonna happen. Could definitely see sobo's or lashers anytime.

Cookerhiker
02-09-2017, 22:34
... Also, if anyone has a better suggestion to hike on the AT ( north of Damascus ) from August 20-Sept 5 please feel free to share that as I'm not against another section.

That's a great time of year weatherwise to hike the White Mountains or Maine. The Whites can be crowded, especially if you're including Labor Day weekend. But it's a short hiking season so if that's your time availability, why not try it? Just remember that the Whites and SW Maine are the toughest parts of the AT so prepare accordingly - mental as well as physical.

I hiked Maine starting August 17 and had no mosquitoes. I doubt you'll have them in NH.

rafe
02-09-2017, 22:38
Late August and early September are the best weeks to hike, probably anywhere on the AT. Bugs are gone, temperatures are moderate. The only downside is that streams are often dry.

hikernutcasey
02-10-2017, 13:24
My $.02 cents - Just this past August I hiked from Atkins to Bland over a 3 day weekend and it was miserably hot. Hike early and late and find a shade tree during the middle of the day. Also, it can keep you from sleeping well if the nighttime temps don't get down to room temperature which can happen in August especially when you are below 3,000 feet.

As others have said, keep an eye on the water, that can be a tough stretch for water sometimes with several longish distances between sources.

JPritch
02-11-2017, 00:18
Gnats! Protect your eyes. Other than that, about what you'd expect for summer.