PDA

View Full Version : Bear bags

SummitSistah
02-09-2017, 00:32
Looking for a bear bag that is waterproof and odor proof. Any suggestions?

Maineiac64
02-09-2017, 00:37
Many use a dry sack like sea to summit or zpacks with an opsack heavy duty zip lock. Has to be hung.

saltysack
02-09-2017, 08:15
Try odor proof bags lining any food bag...honestly don't know if the bags actually work but I picked up some to try as it's hard to sleep on my food bag with the smell. Yep it's my pillow...[emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheyou
02-09-2017, 08:26
Try odor proof bags lining any food bag...honestly don't know if the bags actually work but I picked up some to try as it's hard to sleep on my food bag with the smell. Yep it's my pillow...[emoji51]

how big and weight of the OP bag you are using ??

thanks thom

saltysack
02-09-2017, 08:46
I bought assortment pack tend to use large one to line my zpacks food bag.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170209/9f86edc6ad3001a7004b0155e9c0a981.jpgmight try these next!!!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170209/ae0956d65f68dace8ae540fe6af8c432.jpg

ScareBear
02-09-2017, 09:03
Honestly, this has been discussed ad nauseum on this site. Do a search. Do a google search too.

Zpacks, Mountain Laurel Designs, and Lawson Equipment sell ultralight bear bags and line. They are all essentially the same with very very minor differences. You can use an OpSak to store your big smells inside the bear bag. Your FD food doesn't need to go in the OpSak....

Venchka
02-09-2017, 09:08
Looking for a bear bag that is waterproof and odor proof. Any suggestions?
By the time you get it loaded and certainly after preparing the first meal nothing is odor proof. Ziploc bags and a fairly sturdy trash bag will keep your food dry. Prior to buying an Ursack, I carried my food in an ordinary nylon stuff sack. Nothing special or expensive.
Wayne

Odd Man Out
02-09-2017, 09:29
I use the Zpacks blast bag which is waterproof, but not odor proof. I have started using those Base camp bags as a liner and that has greatly cut down on the smells coming out of my food bag. I never call anything odor proof. The best you can hope for is odor resistant.

G-FOURce
02-09-2017, 11:12
I repackage my freeze-dried meals in 4mil zip lock bags (see link below) before my trips. Any snacks or bars also go in a 4mil zip lock bag. I put all of those in an OpSack. The OpSack goes in a green odor-barrier bag (the one from Amazon that saltysack posted) and then that goes into my bear bag - a nylon stuff sack. I backpack all over the Great Smoky Mountains Nat'l Park and Pisgah Nat'l Forest and have never had a single issue with bears or rodents. The heavy-gauge zip locks and the other bags adds a little weight, but I never have to worry about a bag breaking and I can't smell a thing so I know it reduces the olfactory attraction.

Interesting note: I have heard of people hanging a bell on their food bag to serve as an alert that something is trying to get into the food bag. I haven't gone that route b/c I've never felt the need, but conceptually it makes sense.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZZUJPS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

poolskaterx
02-09-2017, 18:42
I have an urs sack and a bv450 and use the opsack liners. WOW, maybe not odor proof but a huge, huge difference in noticeable odor at least to a human nose. I am sure it does not completely masks it to animals but every little bit helps.

SummitSistah
02-09-2017, 23:56
Thanks for all the info. I appreciate it.

Venchka
02-10-2017, 00:00
"According to the number of scent receptors, the bear has the best sense of smell of all terrestrial mammals. Black bears have been observed to travel 18 miles in a straight line to a food source, while grizzlies can find an elk carcass when it's underwater and polar bears can smell a seal through 3 feet of ice."
Do you really think that you can keep food odors from the bears?
Wayne

Odd Man Out
02-10-2017, 01:35
You will not in my post I said nothing is odor proof, for that reason. But just because you can't stop odors doesn't mean there is no value in diminishing them. I also use an odor barrier bag as a pack liner. So I have a double barrier between my clothes/quilt and food. Before I started using them, after a few dsys on the trsil, my whole pack smelled of food when I opened it up. I notice it much less now.

saltysack
02-10-2017, 07:07
+1

Venchka
02-11-2017, 19:52
You will not in my post I said nothing is odor proof, for that reason. But just because you can't stop odors doesn't mean there is no value in diminishing them. I also use an odor barrier bag as a pack liner. So I have a double barrier between my clothes/quilt and food. Before I started using them, after a few dsys on the trsil, my whole pack smelled of food when I opened it up. I notice it much less now.

I've seen the light. Thanks.
Wayne

KDogg
02-11-2017, 23:54
Your food bag isn't odor proof and doesn't need to be. That is why you hang it. The only problem we had with our bags was mice on the southern sections. Once we got up North those little red satan squirrels became the biggest wildlife issue we had whole time. I slept with my food bag through the 100 mile. I know...not supposed to...but those damn squirrels were biting holes through everything. We were really worried about our food running out or getting eaten by these little devils. Still have nightmares.