PDA

View Full Version : Winter Sleeping Options

tawa
02-09-2017, 11:39
Interested in learning different options for winter camping warmth and comfort.
Which strategies do you use to accomplish the above.
Have been camping a fair amount this winter and experimenting with different options of bedding and clothing.
Basically, I have and use the following--North Face 2 person 3 season tent. A zero and 20 degree down sleeping bags. Currently using a footprint--tent/tent floor-medium thick hard pad--self inflating cushion maybe 1.5 to 2 inches --sleeping bag of choice.
Using the above what level of clothing would you use / prefer wearing inside your mummy bag.
Please evaluate and also suggest practices you use when temps are 0-30 degrees!
I've always been a lifelong learner that goes to the experts when in need of advice.
With that said --thank you in advance for you advice and suggestions.

nsherry61
02-09-2017, 12:46
0-30 degrees is a huge range in temp.

For sleep system, if I expect lows to be 15-30, I'd use the 20 degree bag and put on my puffy jacket to add warmth at the lower end of that. If expected lows are more in the 0-15 range, I'd either use the zero bag or the 20 degree bag plus a summer quilt, and then again adding warm with puffy gear to pad warmth as needed. In general, I sleep with my cloths on in the winter to add some warmth and also to dry out any moisture in my cloths overnight and also to be able to get out of my bag without having to put cold cloths on in the morning, or middle of the night.

Winter sleeping pads have been discussed on these forums many times. I personally use either two CCF pads or combine a CCF pad with my summer inflatable. A CCF pad plus my summer pad (or two CCF pads) works fine for me down to well below zero. I would not travel in winter without a CCF pad since inflatables can get damaged and a flat inflatable as your only ground insulation can be dangerous.

For tent. If you haven't already figured it out, I'm a tarp guy. I love winter in the snow, under a tarp. It allows me to carve a palatial living space into the snow if the snow is deep enough. It allows me to feel closer to the world outside while I sleep.

I often sleep outdoors in the winter in a 3-season tent when I travel with others that prefer sleeping in a tent. 3-season tents are not nearly as warm as 4-season tents because of the increased air circulation through the mesh inner tent compared to a fabric inner tent, probably as much as 10 degrees difference in temp. But, I like the lighter weight of a 3-season vs a 4-season tent. And, you can't just seal up a 3-season tent to reduce air circulation because you will start getting condensation, whereas a fabric inner tent allows air circulation between the fly and the inner tent without flushing all the warm air out of the inner tent.

Finally, I rarely use my 8 lb mountain tent because it is just overkill unless I am expecting to travel into areas and conditions that push the limits of human habitable conditions or it allows me to travel with a friend or loved one that is otherwise uncomfortable camping in winter conditions without a cloth fortress to protect them while sleeping.

LoneStranger
02-09-2017, 13:50
Basic winter loadout for me in the Whites is a double walled tent, TR TrailPro on top of a BA QCore for pads, 40°F down quilt under a 20°F synthetic. That is good into the teens with minimal sleep layers. I've taken it down to -18°F or so, but that was with insulated pants and jacket and I still popped a hand warmer around 4am :)

Another Kevin
02-09-2017, 16:45
I have 0 and 20 degree down bags. I'm more often going to carry the 0, particularly if I don't know what elevation I'm going to sleep at. If it's too warm, I can always unzip it and throw it over me like a quilt. I can take it down into the negative single digits by wearing a fleece layer inside it and throwing my puffy jacket over my core. The puffy on top is warmer than wearing it inside the bag - the down compresses less.

Unless you're Tipi Walter hunkering down for an extended stay, a three-season tent is adequate to most winter conditions in the East. Pick one with as little bug netting as possible. I use a TarpTent Notch with the half-solid inner tent. Learn the tricks of site selection, banking snow, aligning to the wind, etc., to maximize warmth.

I carry two pads in the winter. My current pair are a ProLite and a RidgeRest. At least one pad has to be foam, because having a deflated pad rob you of all your insulation underneath is a very, very bad night. The system is warmer if the foam pad is on top.

When I'm really pushing the limits, my pack goes under my feet, and I'm likely wearing every stitch of clothing that I brought, with the exception of anything damp. A damp baselayer goes between the sleeping pads. Damp clothing is banned form the sleeping bag.

By using a hot water bottle and all the tricks, I can push to about -10 in reasonable comfort, although at -10 I'm certainly aware that I'm right at the limit.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-09-2017, 17:26
Just ask Tipi :)

CoolBobby
02-09-2017, 17:32
My Warbonnet Blackbird XLC Dual Layer 1.1 hammock and a set of Loco Libre quilts have kept me more warm and comfortable then any other sleep system in Maine winters. I use 0* quilts, and normally sleep in shorts and t shirt down to about -10.

mississippi_dan
02-09-2017, 21:28
For lows from about 25 to zero degrees and inside a three season tent, I use a Kelty 15 degree down bag with a Neoair Xtherm pad. I sleep in mid- or silk-weight long underwear. At zero I use a raincoat as a vapor barrier. I haven't camped in below zero weather.

For lows from 45 to about 25 and a three season tent, I use a Western Mountaineering Summerlite with the Neoair Xtherm pad. I sleep in silk-weight long underwear or tee-shirt and boxers depending on how cold it may be.