PDA

View Full Version : UBER From The Airport To Springer Mountain?

theory
02-09-2017, 16:32
Has anybody done this? Can you share your thoughts. From what I can tell, if this is entirely possible that it should be around the exact same price as using The Hiker Hostel (give or take a few dollars.) Let me know if I am wrong though. I just can't seem to book a flight that makes it easy to use The Hiker Hostel as I will likely be arriving very early in the morning (4 am) and I don't see why I would want to ride two hours back to the hostel and waste a full day there when I can just head straight to the trail.

If I've posted this in the wrong selection of if there is another thread already discussing this I apologize.

Thanks for your help!

natewoodhd
02-09-2017, 16:58
Seems like the great question is: Will an Uber be available to pick you up at 4am?

#greatwhitenorth

generoll
02-09-2017, 17:07
you can check on the price for Uber online. be prepared for a shock.

MuddyWaters
02-09-2017, 17:20
Its a 180 mile round trip for a driver from airport.
What do you think it should cost?

Id expect $150+

Tennessee Viking
02-09-2017, 17:21
Fly into Atlanta. MARTA up to North Springs. Stay at one of hotels near the station. And book a shuttle up to Springer in the morning.

I highly doubt an UBER will drive up USFS 42 especially at night. Plus the cost of an UBER ride for the distance to Springer would be TOO HIGH.

chknfngrs
02-09-2017, 17:31
Just do it. YOLO

saltysack
02-09-2017, 17:37
I'd be surprised if they would drive to top of springer....or you doing approach trail? I'm like you stop on way get food, mini Bic and fuel....hit the trail maybe spend the $ at another hostel....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theory
02-09-2017, 18:00
Thanks for the replies, when I calculate it online the fee for UberX is $77-90. That's from Heartsfield to Amicalola Falls State Park.

Can somebody verity that I calculated this correctly? Thanks!

Maineiac64
02-09-2017, 18:05
If you are thru hiking and it lines up with my schedule I will do it for free meeting you at North Springs station. I can drop you off at Springer or Amicalola. It will have to be a weekend for it to work on my end.

generoll
02-09-2017, 22:51
I don't know what the differences are, but here's what I found: Uberpool $60-74; Uberx $71-93; UberXL $172-227; Uberselect $184-244; UberBLACK $278-369; UberSUV $348-460.

This is for Hartsfield Airport to Amicalola State Park. I have no idea what the different levels mean.

Maineiac64
02-09-2017, 22:58
It would be uberx.

evyck da fleet
02-09-2017, 23:03
$3.50 for a MARTA ride to North Springs from the airport, free transfer to bus to Mansell Park n Ride. Check uber price to Amicalola from there. If memory serves correct, there is a Walmart a few miles down Mansell if you need to resupply. Actually there may be a bus route that passes by the Walmart and you could check the price of uber from there. It would still be a hour ride on a weekend; good luck if you catch morning rush hour.

theory
02-09-2017, 23:32
If you are thru hiking and it lines up with my schedule I will do it for free meeting you at North Springs station. I can drop you off at Springer or Amicalola. It will have to be a weekend for it to work on my end.

Thank you for the very kind and generous offer. I don't want to put you out like that though, again I will be arriving super late just past 4 am on a Saturday in late March, the 25th to be exact. I may just try to book a reservation with Hiker Hostel after all since I'm not sure an Uber will be super reliable.

Uncle Joe
02-09-2017, 23:51
As others have said, either way take the train from the airport to North Point Station.

Slo-go'en
02-10-2017, 00:43
If your flight gets in at 4 am, you probably will have been up all night. If your coming from NV, you'll loose 3 hours so 4 am Atlanta will feel like 1 am to you. By the time you get to the park your body will think it's 3 am. Do you really want to immediately start hiking?

What's the current rate for the Hiker Hostel? Is it still about $80? If so, for what you pay for a UBER ride, you get to spend a restful day and get a nice breakfast in the morning before heading out. The only flaw with that plan is you'd have to hang out in Atlanta until a reasonably hour for them to go get you (and anyone else showing up that day, which is likely to be a full house).

saltysack
02-10-2017, 07:06
If your flight gets in at 4 am, you probably will have been up all night. If your coming from NV, you'll loose 3 hours so 4 am Atlanta will feel like 1 am to you. By the time you get to the park your body will think it's 3 am. Do you really want to immediately start hiking?

What's the current rate for the Hiker Hostel? Is it still about $80? If so, for what you pay for a UBER ride, you get to spend a restful day and get a nice breakfast in the morning before heading out. The only flaw with that plan is you'd have to hang out in Atlanta until a reasonably hour for them to go get you (and anyone else showing up that day, which is likely to be a full house).

Good point

Longboysfan
02-10-2017, 11:20
$3.50 for a MARTA ride to North Springs from the airport, free transfer to bus to Mansell Park n Ride. Check uber price to Amicalola from there. If memory serves correct, there is a Walmart a few miles down Mansell if you need to resupply. Actually there may be a bus route that passes by the Walmart and you could check the price of uber from there. It would still be a hour ride on a weekend; good luck if you catch morning rush hour.

Marta on the Red line to the end. :sun

Longboysfan
02-10-2017, 11:30

I agree - but Hiker Hostel may not be able to get you at Marta till noon.

Dogwood
02-10-2017, 12:48

At N Springs MARTA could also #141 bus it to Winward Park and Ride adjacent to HWY 400. Same applies with a Kroger, Costco, and WalMart within 1/2 mile with east walking. I do it regularly as well as many other commuters.

Really though, this has been so anal-yzed here. Least hassle as well as a damn good cost for those flying into Atlanta is the Hiker Hostel Thru-hiker deal with the extras including door to door shuttle(S) is roughly the same price as UBER. Good luck getting UBER to do a Atlanta AP or N Spgs to AF SP or FS Rd Springer Parking lot. Even taking G Hound to Gville GA from the AP and then arranging a shuttle from there is roughly the same. Arranging for a shuttle with other hikers helps reduce individula shuttle cost. That's not new info. It's been said umpteen times in a much wider range of sources than just WB.

IMHJO(in my honest judgemental opinion) if $15-20 is that much a hassle to invest on the front end of a long hike/thur-hike with Hiker Hostel or alternative shuttler, no matter how frugal one sees it, it's not a great sign of pre hike preparation or the mentalitry that it commonly takes to do a thru-hike.

Dogwood
02-10-2017, 13:11
I agree - but Hiker Hostel may not be able to get you at Marta till noon.

Ok then arrange your flight and MARTA ride(like every 15 mins from the AP) to N Springs to coincide with a less time consuming flow of transfers. It's what travelers do. Hartsfield Jackson in Atlanta is the busiest AP in the world. People all the time from all walks of life spend time in APs as they travel awaiting transfers. This AP is exceptional for awaiting transfers much like any large U.S. AP. About time some folks understand and accustom themselves that everything isn't instantaneous. A thru-hike demands patience and endurance. Use time wisely without having the entitled expectancy that everything functions according to ones's own way. No AT hiker should start their hike assuming they are levitating above the rest of society. Not that this may apply to anyone reading this thread. This is being responsible for your hike a critical key component of HYOH that isn't spoken about enough.

Another option to making best use of your time getting from the AP to N Sprs is getting off the MARTA Red Line which is the train route you're on at Sandy Springs Station. Practically across the street from the station is an REI to get canisters, buy a pocket knife, trail food, get that last piece of gear you forgot about, etc. Get right back on the regular Red Line train north to the very nearby N Sprgs station.

theory
02-10-2017, 20:14
Thank you guys for all your info and help. I agree with nearly everything that's been said here. Most likely going to go with Hiker Hostel, not sure how long I will be waiting at the AP for but I figured since I am arriving so late or early I should say that I don't except somebody to come get me at that exact time. I really couldn't find a good time flight wise, and it really isn't a BIG deal for me to fly at night and get there late. I am in no way an inpatient person, I can hangout for a bit and have some down time. The whole reason for not using Hiker Hostel in the first place was for many reasons, I don't plan on staying at any hostels along my hike. I prefer my tent as much as possible. Also, I am vegan so I don't think I'll be having much of a breakfast there. Though I would love to meet some hikers if anybody else is staying at the hostile that night. Again, I've looked at every angle and I think Hiker Hostel is the safest way to go.

4 am and all the time I'll be stuck at the AP before my flight and after my flight means I probably don't want to start hiking after a long 2 hr drive out of there. I would have been up way too long to want to attempt that. I'll likely be wired but once I make it back to the hostel I will probably pass out.

Starchild
02-10-2017, 20:25
I don't know what the differences are, but here's what I found: Uberpool $60-74; Uberx $71-93; UberXL $172-227; Uberselect $184-244; UberBLACK $278-369; UberSUV $348-460.

This is for Hartsfield Airport to Amicalola State Park. I have no idea what the different levels mean.

Uberpool would love to know how that works (as it is a pick up other passengers along the way and you may not be dropped off directly at your destination, or may have to walk a bit to the pickup).

ScareBear
02-10-2017, 21:06
I figure 80 bucks, ATL to Amicalola, is a bargain. Seriously.

Stop and get supplies on the way, as needed.

Hike to Black Gap Shelter and call it good for the day or pitch your tent before then.

Not to take any business away from the really good folks at HH, but with your flight getting in at 4am, this is a very doable plan. The alternative is to wait 6 or 8 hours(or however long) after you land to be picked up and then overnight at the HH, then drive in the morning to Springer with HH.

Again, my alternative only works because you get in so dang early...

mister krabs
02-10-2017, 22:34
MARTA: First train 4:55 a.m. on weekdays and 5:50 a.m. on weekends and holidays.

Caught the redeye from vegas one time, expecting to be able to grab the train. Not a good decision.

theory
02-10-2017, 23:43
If I use HH I will have to wait 8-9 hours to get picked up. I don't even assume that they will take me back right then if there are others needing to be picked up as well. Not my favorite option by any choice but I really don't want to make it super difficult. If sleeping at the airport is doable then I will just find a quiet spot and stay put until damn, noon lol.

Kid: Why is that guy sleeping on the floor?
Mom: He must be one of those thru hikers who caught a cheap flight in the morning. What a moron.

glenlawson
02-11-2017, 14:37
Just a thought, what about a slightly different flight? I assume you are looking at the frontier flight arriving at 4:47 am that is as low as $62. Cheap flight, but it has a real cost on the arrival end. What about the Spirit flight which is as low as $86? It lands at 8:09 which gets you to North Springs Marta by 9:30 ish. You could still stop at WalMart for fuel and essentials. There is also a huge new Kroger and Publix in Dawsonville near the turn-off for Amicalola.

You might be able to arrange something much more convenient with HH or some other shuttle. Spending $20 on the flight may save you money on the shuttle. Getting an actual Uber driver to go all the way to Amicalola might be difficult.

theory
02-11-2017, 17:23
Good observation there. Problem is I have now already booked my flight so I am dealing with the repercussions. The issue with using HH is that I had to book my flight around when they had available space since I never planned to use them originally. As far as I can tell if you use HH there will be some sort of wait involved. Nine hours is pretty ruff since I won't be able to do much during that time but I figure that will be the least of my worries. I did see the Spirit flight arriving just after 8 pm but figured that would get me there pretty late back at the hostel and I wouldn't be able to do much. I decided not to carry a stove/fuel/knife etc which is the main reason why I didn't think of using HH hence the whole Uber idea.

Just a thought, what about a slightly different flight? I assume you are looking at the frontier flight arriving at 4:47 am that is as low as $62. Cheap flight, but it has a real cost on the arrival end. What about the Spirit flight which is as low as $86? It lands at 8:09 which gets you to North Springs Marta by 9:30 ish. You could still stop at WalMart for fuel and essentials. There is also a huge new Kroger and Publix in Dawsonville near the turn-off for Amicalola.

You might be able to arrange something much more convenient with HH or some other shuttle. Spending $20 on the flight may save you money on the shuttle. Getting an actual Uber driver to go all the way to Amicalola might be difficult.

jjozgrunt
02-11-2017, 19:18
Looking at uber as a possibility as well. I want to get to Springer morning of the 12th Mar from North Springs, but at the moment the only shuttler that can do that day can't do until 2pm. Still waiting to hear back from 2 but not looking good.

ScareBear
02-11-2017, 19:31
Looking at uber as a possibility as well. I want to get to Springer morning of the 12th Mar from North Springs, but at the moment the only shuttler that can do that day can't do until 2pm. Still waiting to hear back from 2 but not looking good.

It certainly seems like a do-able option for early morning (before 11am) arrivals, if Uber will actually have a driver willing to do the drive for the quoted price. Even at the upper end of $90, it does a few things:
a. allows you to stop and grab fuel, lighters and whatever else you couldn't bring on the plane;
b. allows you to get to the approach trail straight-away on your first day;
c. may save you money v. being shuttled and spending the night and then being shuttled to Springer or Amicalola the next day;
d. avoids the frustration of spending your first day wasting hours of waiting, then an evening, then a night, then most of a morning before getting on the damn trail...

Although, if you are coming in directly from Down Under, you might want a day and night to get your feet back under you. And a proper meal in your belly....just sayin...

jj dont play
02-11-2017, 23:28
I met a guy that claimed he Uber'd to springer from ATL, said it was around $80.00.
Do the hiker hostel. Same price you get good rest and breakfast and get to meet some fellow hopeful thrus, Plus more

KDogg
02-11-2017, 23:39
There are some bonuses with Hiker Hostel. They will mail stuff home via USPS for no additional cost (think luggage (I put my pack in a bag), last minute stuff you decide not to take, electronics you wanted for the plane ride), they stop at Walmart for you so you don't have to worry about bringing food and fuel on the plane, and they have a small but good selection of hiking stuff for sale for last minute ideas. I would have liked to have spent the whole day at HH as it is a very relaxing place. The owners are also very knowledgeable of the AT and are interesting to talk to. Got there around dinner time.

glenlawson
02-12-2017, 10:43
Thinking about your trip has been kind of fun on a cool cloudy weekend. I think you have a few options:
1. Wait at the airport for about an hour for the red line train to start to the North Springs station. Then it is about a 45 minute ride. From there you could Uber, HH, a different shuttle, or some kind soul who wants to drive into the mountains on a Saturday. My guess is this gets you to the North Springs Station at 7 - 7:30

2. Uber all the way from the airport. I'm just not sure how many airport Uber drivers want to go that far north of the metro area.

3. Uber to North Springs or Mansell Road (about $40) from there, get a shuttle (I think there is more than one), wait on HH, or some kind soul.

If you just need Walmart, go all the way to Dawsonville before stopping. It is literally a turn right off of 400 (the highway you'll take to Amicalola). It is your quickest in and out. Sporting goods are to the right, at the back of the store. If you need a little more, there is an Academy sporting goods in Cumming just off the interstate. There is also an Outdoor World in Dawsonville. (it is a small world, but they have a good selection)

You might seriously consider #1 and Mainiac's offer. I can't commit yet but I might be free on the 25th as well.

RollTide
02-12-2017, 14:44
What time does the HH shuttle to Springer in the mornings?

eggymane
02-13-2017, 09:55
If you could find one available and willing to make the drive I'm certain it would be cheaper. I say that because I checked out of curiousity what an Uber would be vs a shuttle from Woody to Unicoi. Uber estimated it at $30 and a shuttle was around $60. Again, shuttle guys know what they're getting in to, Uber guys won't.

jj dont play
02-13-2017, 10:29

They take off around 8:30

OnlyJohn
02-13-2017, 17:19
Theory, I live 25 minutes from Amicalola Falls and about 30 minutes from the Hiker Hostel. I can pick you up at the airport and take you to either place on Saturday. I have done this before for hikers and it is not a big deal. I think of it as my way of giving back to the hiker community that has been good to me.

If you want to consider this option, send me a PM and I will give you my number.

OnlyJohn

Longboysfan
02-14-2017, 11:25

From What they tell me via email from noon to about 1pm earliest pick up.

As their schedule is to drop all those going to trail that day then drive to MARTA station to pick you up.
And any others coming in that day.

Longboysfan
02-14-2017, 11:27
Sorry about the above - miss read on it.
This was pick up from Marta.

Yes. HH drops start at 8:30 depending on who is going where.