PDA

View Full Version : Retry gear list Nobo this time

Whiskey_Richard
02-09-2017, 19:21
I'm leaving march 24 2017. I only made it south 63 miles in 5 days but I took a couple hard falls going up Katahadin on day one and rolled my ankles pretty bad it was a bad storm. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I haven't picked out which trail runners I want to use yet but I want them to be "quick" drying.

https://lighterpack.com/r/1gb688

jimmyjam
02-09-2017, 20:30
Ditch the chair, the battery pack, the Ursack, your tent is heavy at 3 lbs, lots of tent at 2 lbs and under, dry your biowipes and add water to one when you use it, can probably shave a little from that first aid kit.

hyperslug
02-09-2017, 20:47
You could drop that pot and get this: https://www.amazon.com/Imusa-Aluminum-Mug-1-25-Quart-12/dp/B004444XMY

I cut the handle off mine and with koozie weighs 3.7 oz and not flimsy.

Whiskey_Richard
02-09-2017, 20:57
Good advice but like everyone I have a few luxuries I'm not willing to part with(chair, pillow) Drying the wipes is something I will definitely do. I'm using the guthook app on my phone aswell as kindle app so I really don't want it to die.
As for the ursack it is heavy but counts as bear vault when required.
Will shave down first aid kit.
Thank you

Whiskey_Richard
02-09-2017, 20:59
Hyperslug
What koozie are you using?

hyperslug
02-09-2017, 21:14
One I made from reflectix. The weight also includes a tin foil lid.

Venchka
02-09-2017, 23:47
On the AT? Where is a bear vault required?
I own an Ursack, but I will use mine in the Rockies because I want to. Not because I have to.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JC13
02-10-2017, 08:24
A hard shell bear-resistant canister is required for hikers overnighting between jarred gap and Neel Gap from March 1 - Jun 1.

hyperslug
02-10-2017, 10:40
But being only a 5 mile section, most just hike through it.

Whiskey_Richard
02-10-2017, 15:30
Good to know. I can shave quite a few ounces right there.

mountain squid
02-10-2017, 18:23
Some observations:

- 30 degree quilt might not be warm enough in March - expect temps lower than freezing on more than one occasion
- bandanna/buff
- 2 pr socks? - one must always remain dry, consider an extra pr
- gloves
- hat
- needle for draining blisters
- only 1L of water? - there will be dry stretches, consider additional water storage
- swap 2 mini bics for one regular size
- 7 days of food? only 3-5 days to Neel Gap resupply
- snacks?
- 50 ft cord
- duct tape
- TP
- Companion/AT Guide
- stuff sacks

Concur:
- leave the chair - dead weight while hiking which is most of the day - 1# is alot of Snickers bars

Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

(https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?100363-2014-Norovirus-Awareness)some observations (https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?14493-observations-from-fs42-(advice-for-first-week-on-trail)&highlight=)

kibs
02-10-2017, 18:45
You could drop that pot and get this: https://www.amazon.com/Imusa-Aluminum-Mug-1-25-Quart-12/dp/B004444XMY

I cut the handle off mine and with koozie weighs 3.7 oz and not flimsy. Love this idea-Thanks

hikehunter
02-11-2017, 04:19
I only use 3 pair of socks. One pair is my sleep socks and stay in the top quilt bag. If I have to use them to hike in I can. Try to dual use as many items as you can. Bandanna is good example......it is a towel/first aid sling/water filter/....

fire started is most likely not needed as many hikers do not have the energy to build a fire at camp.

a fellow hiker of mine put "pit zips" in his frog tog jacket. I am thinking of doing the same.
Only take the battery charger if you are a big "youtuber" or you are running the itunes on your phone all day and reading books at night.

I rarely turned my phone on, sometime no signal and I use verizon. I would send a text when I was on top of mountain and had signal then turn off. phone stayed charged above 60% by time I got to town.

Good luck....................Have Fun & Hike Safe. HFHS

Whiskey_Richard
02-11-2017, 19:07
Mt squid,

First off, thank you for taking the time to give advice.

- 30 degree quilt might not be warm enough in March - expect temps lower than freezing on more than one occasion- I sleep really hot

- bandanna/buff- its in there but called motley tube had it insect shielded

- 2 pr socks? - Forgot to add pair for sleeping/rotation

- gloves-added

- hat- will add

- needle for draining blisters-in first aid kit

- only 1L of water? - will have additional storage but plan on carrying one most time( added weight of two to lighterpack)

- swap 2 mini bics for one regular size-packing fear on this one but two minis weigh same as one large

- 7 days of food? Knocking it down to four with snacks still need to buy and weigh
- snacks?

- 50 ft cord-added

- duct tape-on trekking poles

- TP-dehydrated bio wipes need to re-weigh after dehydration

- Companion/AT Guide-on phone

- stuff sacks- have three need to weigh and buy one for food instead of ursack

I understand why everyone wants me to drop the full one pound chair but it was a fantastic luxury in the hundred mile wilderness where it was very wet the whole time. I'd pull out the chair and set my pack in it while I setup my tent. I'd sit in it to cook my meal and then it fit perfectly under my vestibule to keep anything off the ground so it didn't get wet.

Whiskey_Richard
02-11-2017, 19:09
I'm thinking of switching out my rain gear and pack cover for a poncho and I'm already going to use a trash compactor bag

Whiskey_Richard
02-18-2017, 00:00
Got a kitchen scale and did some changing

Praha4
02-18-2017, 00:17
you'll be ditching a lot of stuff when you get to Neels Gap.

Sassafras Mountain will convince you to lighten up

Whiskey_Richard
02-18-2017, 00:44
Probably but I'll be atleast 10 lbs lighter this attempt

ScareBear
02-18-2017, 05:17
Probably but I'll be atleast 10 lbs lighter this attempt

Lose the pillow-use a stuffsack with your spare clothes/rain gear inside as a pillow

Check the weight on your pad...that is pretty heavy at 31 ounces...you can get a 19 ounce R4.4 pad for 90 bucks...

Lose the bearicade-WTH?

There. I just save you 3.25 POUNDS....

Whiskey_Richard
02-18-2017, 06:40
Pad should weigh 27 oz according to rei but weighs in at 31.8 oz
It's a large neoair prolite
I also have a small and it's supposed to weigh 14 oz but weighs 17 oz on kitchen scale.

Whiskey_Richard
02-18-2017, 06:42
Advertised weights are proving to be very misleading

ScareBear
02-18-2017, 11:31

Advertised weights for pads never include the stuff sack or repair kit...just sayin...

Tent weights often do not include the weight of the stuff sacks, guy lines and stakes...again, just sayin...

4eyedbuzzard
02-18-2017, 11:33
Some observations:

- 30 degree quilt might not be warm enough in March - expect temps lower than freezing on more than one occasion

I sleep really hot

DON'T get fooled by AVERAGE temperatures when preparing for a hike. It's the MEDIAN lows you need to prepare for - and then have a plan such as wearing extra insulating clothing if you get caught in a cold snap.

For example: At 8 - 12 miles per day, you'll likely reach GSMNP by the second or third week of your hike. In early April when the coldest temps of the month occur. Here's some real world temps from Mt LeConte (GSMNP, 6593' elevation) for April temperatures over the past 29 years.

Average April low (average of all daily low temperatures for April). This includes many warm overnight lows at the end of the month: Approximately 32°F. For reference, the April average low for Gatlinburg, 1454' elev, is 42°F, which corresponds with orographic cooling due to elevation.

MEDIAN April low (as many temps above as below): 13°F (range 1°F to 23°F) You should expect to encounter temps at least a few times around this median value somewhere in the southern Appalachians with a March start and early April entry into the higher elevations in GSMNP. Note this is almost 20°F lower than the average low.

Lowest April temp: 1°F (2007) This is the record low for the period 1988-2016, which you could but likely won't encounter.

Warmest April low: 23°F (1991) Even in the warmest year, at some point it's really going to be 10°F colder than the average low.

The trend is somewhat warmer over the last 10 years, with the median April low around 16°F.

Pad should weigh 27 oz according to rei but weighs in at 31.8 oz
It's a large neoair prolite
I also have a small and it's supposed to weigh 14 oz but weighs 17 oz on kitchen scale.

Several factors:
1) Advertised weights are usually without stuff sacks, tags, repair kits, etc.
2) Manufacturing variances and tolerances. Material weights can vary by the lots supplied to manufacturer.
3) Is your scale calibrated? Quarters weigh 5.67 grams each. A roll of 40 quarters weighs just about exactly 1/2 lb (226.8 grams). A gallon of milk or water, about 8.6 lbs plus the tare weight of the container (a few ounces).
4) Some manufacturers may be advertising the most optimistic weight of a single item, some the actual post manufacturing average. Variance - AND MARKETING.
5) Items like clothing and sleeping bags often weigh a bit more after use due to absorbing moisture and dirt.

Whiskey_Richard
02-19-2017, 02:38
-4eyedbuzzard
Thank you for all the great input. I did check my scales calibration and it's pretty close had a quarter at 6 grams.

I have the women's thermarest at 17oz just my ankles down hang off and my arms over the side when laying flat but I'm a side sleeper so I fit that way. I also have a 20* ee quilt but it's short and only comes upto my armpits when laying flat and top of my shoulders while on my side. I'm about 5'11" 200 lbs ok shape.

The question in that is, should I bring both the 30* and 20* or just the 20* because I can throw on my hooded puffy to make up for shortness if I need to?