PDA

View Full Version : Borah bivy users?? Argon vs cuben???

saltysack
02-10-2017, 11:16
Was planning on just a S2S bug net but with the net and tyvek under duomid but it's heavier than a bivy. I'm considering a ul argon or cuben bivy for use under my duomid and under emergency blanket tarp for my upcoming sup expedition race...price seems reasonable at about $80 for 6oz argon or $175 for 4.5oz cuben. Anyone have any first hand knowledge of these as I love MLD but looking to save lil money. If I get the large would be sufficient space for 20lb jrt above my head. I'm 5'11" 212lbs sleep on lg xlite or xtherm. Only time I'd put pup inside was if bugs were bad so realize a inner would be more spacious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miner
02-10-2017, 14:45
I have the CF bivy. Overall, very functional as I've use it regularly since 2014. I mainly cowboy camp or use a tarp. I got the regular size from then which I thought was too big for my 5'10" body with a foam pad and a 20f 800 fill down quilt. That said, it isn't as well made as MLD's superbivy which I owned a silnylon version prior to the Borah.

I went with Borah as it was a bit lighter than what MLD had back then. I have no real complaints with it and they were willing to customize the length for free as I wanted it shorter after I saw it since I was using a 8' tarp so being longer than needed is a liability. The weight of the Bivy was heavier then listed on website by 0.4oz due to material weight variations. That was before I sent it back to be modified shorter. That said, I do prefer the construction of MLD and would likely go with MLD if the extra money wasn't an issue if the weight was similar. Everything I've received from MLD has been exactly the same weight advertised.

Cheyou
02-10-2017, 14:55
I have one . Bivys all have the same problem condensation. I prefer window shrink film and a head net.

Thom

cgraf
02-12-2017, 10:39
If you're using the bivy solely for bugs, why not go with a TiGoat Bug Net Bivy or Borah Gear Bug Bivy? You'd have no condensation issues and have the rain and inclement weather satisfied with the Duomid.

Cheyou
02-12-2017, 11:33
[QUOTE=cgraf;2127135]If you're using the bivy solely for bugs, why not go with a TiGoat Bug Net Bivy or Borah Gear Bug Bivy? You'd have no condensation issues and have the rain and inclement weather satisfied with the Duomid.[/QUOTE

+1 good plan

thom

saltysack
02-12-2017, 11:50
I should have mentioned I also want to use cowboy camping but I guess net probably would be better option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miner
02-12-2017, 14:46
Sometimes when I hear people talk about condensation issues, I think they are thinking of heavy waterproof bivies rather then the lightweight water resistant ones. Condensation issues are dependent on the bivy fabric, time of year, and where you are. Using a bivy with a full headnet (like Borah uses and MLD offers an option for) rather than just a small window can help in warmer weather. Choosing to camp in areas the air moves with a breeze also helps.

In more humid environments, having both a bivy and a bug bivy may be optimal as you bring what is best at the time. As someone who camps mostly out west, I never find much use for my bug bivy that I bought specifically for using in the summer on the AT. As I rarely have any condensation issues using the regularly bivy in the lower humidity environment I'm in. Even when I hiked the New England section of the AT from mid August through mid October, condensation wasn't a problem with the regular bivy. Further south in the middle of summer, the bug bivy is better if you are using it mainly for bugs and not weather protection.

Oware also offers a full net bug bivy if that is what you want to try. The down side to most is they rely on the fact that you will have something thick enough between your skin on the top of the netting so a mosquitos can bite through the small netting opening. This can be an issue when its too hot to use a sleeping bag. Though if you are wearing permithrin treated clothing, then you should be fine anyway.

Wise Old Owl
02-12-2017, 21:36
Sometimes when I hear people talk about condensation issues, I think they are thinking of heavy waterproof bivies rather then the lightweight water resistant ones. Condensation issues are dependent on the bivy fabric, time of year, and where you are. Using a bivy with a full headnet (like Borah uses and MLD offers an option for) rather than just a small window can help in warmer weather. Choosing to camp in areas the air moves with a breeze also helps.

In more humid environments, having both a bivy and a bug bivy may be optimal as you bring what is best at the time. As someone who camps mostly out west, I never find much use for my bug bivy that I bought specifically for using in the summer on the AT. As I rarely have any condensation issues using the regularly bivy in the lower humidity environment I'm in. Even when I hiked the New England section of the AT from mid August through mid October, condensation wasn't a problem with the regular bivy. Further south in the middle of summer, the bug bivy is better if you are using it mainly for bugs and not weather protection.

Oware also offers a full net bug bivy if that is what you want to try. The down side to most is they rely on the fact that you will have something thick enough between your skin on the top of the netting so a mosquitos can bite through the small netting opening. This can be an issue when its too hot to use a sleeping bag. Though if you are wearing permithrin treated clothing, then you should be fine anyway.

Well Miner you may be right. How do we figure out what works? Cheap bivys don't breath. Better ones possibly do... Bivy's can suck at the worst of times. I have posted my experiences in the past about using one in Canada. 70° and the humidity one night made it feel like a Chicken oven bag. I was cooking and could not take it off as the mosquito would have eaten me alive.. Bivy's need more venting and more distance around the head, and if you are somewhat plump... or old - bivy is not for you.

And by the way I am not claustrophobic.