PDA

View Full Version : SOBO Bag Needs

Kalaallit
02-10-2017, 21:23
Looking at bags, as my current one weighs 4 pounds 10 ounces, which is a tad heavy to carry 2600 miles. Planning a 2018 southbound hike as it fits my schedule a lot better, which is why I'm wondering about this. I've heard that you generally need a 20 degree bag for the PCT mostly because of the Sierras, but since I'll be going southbound, I'd pass through the Sierras in September. Would I still need a 20 degree or could I get away with a 25 or 30 degree?

Miner
02-10-2017, 22:00
Assuming you are starting at Canada in late June, you'll hike through some snow and likely appreciate the warmth of a 20F bag. I often see below freezing temperatures at night in the High Sierra. I always carry a 20F bag in the High Sierra. As another example why, just this past Labor Day, the temperature fell to 21F when I was camped in the Golden Trout Wilderness (south Sierra) at 8600 ft. In mid September several years ago, I got snowed on in Yosemite where the temperature dropped to 17F.

lumberjaime
02-11-2017, 03:21
Looking at bags, as my current one weighs 4 pounds 10 ounces, which is a tad heavy to carry 2600 miles. Planning a 2018 southbound hike as it fits my schedule a lot better, which is why I'm wondering about this. I've heard that you generally need a 20 degree bag for the PCT mostly because of the Sierras, but since I'll be going southbound, I'd pass through the Sierras in September. Would I still need a 20 degree or could I get away with a 25 or 30 degree?

I'm going SOBO this year, planning to bring a 15* bag. Nemo Salsa: http://www.nemoequipment.com/product/?p=Salsa%2015%20Reg

It ain't the lightest (40z), but DANG is it comfy! It is sufficiently light for me, and lighter than the 15* bag I carried for parts of the AT.

My experience says deal with the weight and go with a bag that will keep you warm. There are many options lighter than mine that will keep you just as warm, if not more.

gwschenk
02-13-2017, 10:51
As with Miner, I carry a 20 degree bag in the Sierra. Even in August you can wake up to a frosty morn. And in September you'll definitely appreciate it.

Malto
02-13-2017, 10:58

In general the PCT will have cold nights pretty much the entire way, NoBo or SoBo. A good 20deg down quilt works great and at 20oz is lightweight.

srvand02
02-13-2017, 13:28
Althought the PCT and CDT are two different beasts, the CDT has many cold nights going Sobo and my 20 degree Sierra Designs Zissou kept me plenty warm the entire trail.