PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on kids hiking for a week with sambas?

somers515
02-12-2017, 09:33
I've gone on overnights with my boys (now ages 12 and 15) but this summer (mid July) we are planning for a week long hike on the LT/AT in southern Vermont.

Generally my boys have worn their broken-in Adidas sambas while hiking. Sambas are made of "full grain leather upper" and have a "durable gum-rubber outsole". Apparently sambas were originally designed for soccer players to train on icy hard ground (hence the suction on the gum sole). They also have a strong toe box.

So for overnights and day hikes the boys have used them with no problems and I didn't have to purchase hiking footwear for boys who seem to be constantly outgrowing their shoes. But should I reconsider for a week long trip through Vermud? If so what do you suggest? Thank you in advance for any advice/tips!

Bronk
02-12-2017, 14:11
I wouldn't want to do 70+ miles in uncomfortable shoes. A day or two and your feet are sore but you will survive. But the cumulative damage of a weeks worth of pounding just might make them miserable by day 4 or 5. Look at it this way, the 12 year old will probably eventually be able to wear the 15 year old's shoes on a trip a couple years from now.

NY HIKER 50
02-12-2017, 16:50
Did you think that sandals are open and you can get badly cot or injured in them?

somers515
02-12-2017, 16:58
The boys actually find sambas very comfortable and wear them all the time. They aren't sandals. But they aren't designed for hiking - hence why I was asking for the opinions of white blaze. Here's a link to what they look like if it helps.

http://www.adidas.com/us/samba-classic-shoes/034563.html

4eyedbuzzard
02-12-2017, 19:36
If you were doing the northern part of the LT I'd say no, they aren't adequate. But the section from the MA/VT border to ME Junction/Rutland you'll likely be okay. There's not a lot of pointed rocks like PA, nor a lot of scrambling like NH. The worst of it is that it can be slippery on wet rocks (the trail follows a lot of weeps/drainage patterns), roots, and mud. Given very little in the way of lugs/sole pattern and sole or ankle protection, just be careful with foot placement. IMO, from a secure footing standpoint part, if going NOBO, the worst is the descent off Harmon Hill down to VT Rt 9 (just E of Bennington).

glenlawson
02-12-2017, 21:00
generally, boys of that age do just fine with "sturdy athletic shoes." usually running shoes have enough padding and support for them. if the trail is rocky, a thicker sole might work out better. if it is muddy, they might need something a little more grippy than the sambas offer.

not that it matters, but my first hiking boots came from JCPenney. nearby outlet malls might have a buy one get one half off for a decent pair of shoes.

la.lindsey
02-12-2017, 21:12
The only thing I would really worry about with the Sambas is

1. Lack of traction (probably ok on that section and, let's face it, thru hikers manage on worn out shoes all the time)

And

2. Lack of arch support. Sambas are pretty flat, but I've never tried them on, so they may have good insoles, but what's ok for an overnight may not be so great for a week. Carrying an extra pair of more supportive insoles is a very low weight penalty and gives you options in case things go downhill. I like extra insoles just in case it rains a lot and my trail runners get soaked. Maybe consider that.

Otherwise, in my worthless but free opinion, I'd say y'all are good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nsherry61
02-12-2017, 21:50
People hike all kinds of distances over all kinds of terrain with all kinds of different footwear. A year ago I hiked 40 miles of the White Mountains in NH in a pair of Chaco sandals, over some of the rockiest crappy trail surfaces I've ever hiked and my feet, shockingly, did very well, only one small scratch on the top of one toe.

https://www.rei.com/media/2d77b729-db86-4406-aa73-0adabd9dad4c

A key aspect of the Chaco's success was that their soles provided good rock protection, which the thinner soles of the Sambas probably do not offer. But then, I'm sure others have done the same hike I did in Vibram 5-finger shoes or barefoot, but they will have had to pick their foot placements much more carefully (and slowly) than I did which was much more careful than someone in boots might have to do.

I also was climbing some steep icy trails last December, again in the White Mountains. My buddy and I were wearing microspikes because they were needed to navigate the icy trail safely. Coming down the trail, when we were near the top of Mount Lincoln, were three people (the first guy drinking a 16 oz can of Guinness (handy prepackaged fluid replacement?) in regular trail running shoes while sliding all over the place. They had spend the night up on the ridge, in the snow. I'm sure they made it down, maybe having slipped a few times and bruised their butts.

Tonight, we are experiencing a mixed snow/ice/rain storm with about 3" of slush on the roads. I love driving crappy, icy roads. I needed to go to the store to get some smoke alarm batteries. As one of only a few cars on the roads, I drove to the store, slipping and sliding and having fun, I then walked into the store wearing my flip flops for footwear. There are surely better shoes to wear in the snow, and it is best not to drive when the snow is accumulating faster than the plow trucks can remove it.

Just own your choices and the inherent risks there in. Some people would never go backpacking under any circumstances because of the perceived risk and discomfort.

To each their own!!

AfterParty
02-12-2017, 22:18
They will be fine and the flat bottoms actually have more mud traction then some trail runners. Kids are tougher then parents think. I play disc golf and many tournaments can have bad weather and I usually wear vans and find the grip much better in adverse conditions. If sunny the kids will be happily keeping up.

SkeeterPee
02-12-2017, 23:27
We wore those playing indoor soccer on astroturf. I think they were not very good on wet grass and would think they would be equally bad on muddy trails. But if dry I think they'd be ok. You could have them try them out hiking on a muddy/wet day since you know they work for normal weather.

shelb
02-13-2017, 00:36
My sons have been backpacking since they were 5 and 7 years old...

I would never take one on the A.T. in just tennis shoes - regardless what the shoe says/rates/
NEVER take a boy on the trail in open-toe sandals... those are not allowed at camps!

I WOULD take them on the trail in trail runners - they have better soles...
I HAVE taken a boy on the trail in closed toe Keens - for just over 100 miles to complete the SNP section of the A.T. and then 30 miles and 50 miles of the NCT in Michigan... (meaning, this can work; however, they did not grip as well as trailrunners....but my son walked in those as opposed to the hiking boots we bought - that he didn't want to wear - and then he carried on his pack the entire way while wearing the Keens!).

chknfngrs
02-13-2017, 09:33
Keep their pack weights down and let them use their sambas.

somers515
08-13-2017, 21:04
By the way my boys used their sambas (which again just to be clear are not sandals but instead soccer/athletic shoes) on the first 73 miles of the LT and did great. Thank you again whiteblaze!