PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Resupply in High Snow

mattjv89
02-12-2017, 15:39
With 2017 looking more and more like a high snow year my preferred option is still to hit the Sierra on the earlier side for this year and deal with the snow. More attractive to me than other options like flip flop/SOBO/start way late and fly down the trail. I'm preparing accordingly in terms of equipment and training so I'm hoping to keep the discussion focused on my question, which is resupply options in a high snow year.

I've heard numerous mentions of MTR, Reds, and Tuolumne meadows being closed through mid/late June in a high snow year. What about the roads to Lone Pine and Bishop/Independence? I believe these would be Whitney Portal Rd. and Onion Valley Rd. from my research, correct? I found the Inyo NF webpage to check on the status of these roads but no estimate of when they may open. Walking 20/22 miles to town on a closed road is not a total show stopper but certainly nice to avoid.

I haven't heard a single mention of VVR being closed due to high snow, does this typically open earlier? Wasn't originally thinking of sending a box here but may become necessary due to slow rate of travel between Independence/Bishop and Mammoth. Even if MTR was open I would probably rather use VVR for $35 less. an 85 mile stretch seems doable even at 15/day or less in the snow.

If Reds is closed am I correct to assume the road to Mammoth is also closed?

Finally aside from these specific questions what would YOU do for a resupply strategy in these conditions?

Malto
02-12-2017, 16:21
You will be able to get out of the Onion Valley Trailhead, Kearsarge Pass but you will want to monitor Whitney Portal. I believe a landslide has the portal road closed at this time. VVR is in better shape than MTR because it is on a road vs. over a lake and a mule trail to the ranch. Reds is near Mammouth and you can go to Mammouth Lakes instead if REds is closed. It is a great town to take a much needed zero. If you send a package to TM and it is closed then your package goes to the valley. If memory serves me Tioga Road opens about two weeks before the TM store so you go an rescue a resupply in the valley or just hike down there completing the JMT. You will probably want to resupply at Tioga Road one way or another. (You could hitch east into Lee Vining.)

after TM, there is nothing until Sonora Pass. Two options there KM North and Bridgeport. I really enjoyed KM North, took a very much needed zero there. After Sonora you can hitch off of Ebberts or Carson but you will start to be getting some relief from the snow.

as far as MTR vs VVR. VVR is more likely to be open. If you know MTR is open then MTR is much more convenient and VVR is only a long day from REds or ML.

Malto
02-12-2017, 16:27
Forgot to answer what I would do assuming a more typical schedule than I did.
1) Kearsarge Pass, you will likely zero in either Independence or Bishop. Buy local.
2) VVR, make sure to make it on time to the boat. Send package.
3) Mammoth Lakes, you will want a zero.
4) TM or Lee Vining, don't send package, buy in either place
5) KM north. Send out bear canister and either mail or buy local.
6) Tahoe. Package or buy local.

mattjv89
02-12-2017, 16:46
Thanks Malto I figured you'd have something insightful from your other posts. So KM North is pretty safe for snow closure?

I know Mammoth is near Reds but I'm wondering specifically about the road to Mammoth. From the limited field on my map it looks like the road to Reds and the road to Mammoth are the same, so if Reds is closed does that mean I'm road walking 16 miles into Mammoth?

Malto
02-12-2017, 17:06
Thanks Malto I figured you'd have something insightful from your other posts. So KM North is pretty safe for snow closure?

I know Mammoth is near Reds but I'm wondering specifically about the road to Mammoth. From the limited field on my map it looks like the road to Reds and the road to Mammoth are the same, so if Reds is closed does that mean I'm road walking 16 miles into Mammoth?

I took the Mammoth Pass trail which leaves the PCT a few miles south of Reds. That put me very close to Mammoth Lakes and I called a cab to take me into town. Likewise, we left down a different trail that took a straight shot into Reds. Look for the Trailhead near Horseshoe lake, to the south of Mammoth Lakes.

You may find this interesting. https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tiogaopen.htm. It will give you a real good perspective on the impact of snow on the logistics. You can see how late Tioga road opened in '11, '06, '05 and '97. This year is shaping up to be in that range as well. Not a show stopper but it should be planned around. (I had a new pair of shoes in my abandoned TM resupply.)

Malto
02-12-2017, 17:09
I keep hitting enter too quick. KM is on a major road, 108. If it's not open then you will be having loads of fun in N. Yosemite. That road was closed earlier in the day that I arrived. Thankfully it opened shortly before I arrived.

nsherry61
02-12-2017, 17:15
I don't know what these guys (http://these guys) used as winter resupply through the Sierras, but their strategy might be worth studying for insight.

Good luck.

AlpineKevin
02-12-2017, 18:26
Don't worry about the roads to Lone Pine, Independence, and Bishop. Those roads are usually clear even in the winter (the Eastern Sierra is actually extremely dry since the mountains block all the snow). Although if there is a landslide on Whitney Portal then that is something totally different (and something I know nothing about).

Your real concerns are Tioga Pass Road (TM resupply) and the road down to Reds Meadows. Having lived in Mammoth before those two have seen some very late openings before. They really make an effort to get Tioga open as soon as possible but with 30 feet of snow to cut through that doesn't mean much. If Red Meadows is closed then your best bet is to just hike into Mammoth from the backside near Lake Mary and all those lakes (Duck Lake Trail comes off the PCT and leads into them). This is a better option then the High Sierra Route over Mammoth Pass because that starts way down at RM at 7,600 feet whereas Duck Trail starts at 10,200 feet so you pretty much just walk straight across in and down (instead of going from 10,200 to 7,600 back up to 9,500).

Here are the historical openings for Tioga Pass Road. The real latest I think is June 29 because I think that July 1 one was due to a government shutdown as that snow year was nothing abnormal. So this year Tioga should open at the latest anytime from June 1 to June 30. So if you leave KM June 15 you should be fine (of course I imagine it would take a couple days to get the store up and running):

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tiogaopen.htm

AlpineKevin
02-12-2017, 18:30
... Didn't see that someone had already posted the Tioga dates. Really wish you could edit on this site.

bamboo bob
02-12-2017, 18:36
For what's it's worth. Billy Goat suggested going out at Lone Pine. We did that and stopped at VVR too. It worked great.

mattjv89
02-12-2017, 18:50
Great info coming in. A related question, any recommendations for maps to carry in the Sierra that show a wider area? My small scale maps of the trail fall short when trying to follow a side trail to town. I found the USFS maps which look comparable to a Trails Illustrated map but I can't find any preview images.

Malto
02-12-2017, 19:00
I believe half mile's maps had a detailed shot at many of these alternatives.

mattjv89
02-12-2017, 19:11
Yeah I went with the Postholer map books which although a convenient size don't show any shots of any alternatives, just lines leading off the page.. Maybe I'll print off a few Halfmile pages to supplement.

imscotty
02-12-2017, 19:31
It is my understanding that the Whitney Portal Road construction has been completed. If you can make it to the road, that should be a good way into Lone Pine.

The shuttle from Red's Meadow starts running June 18th, conditions permitting. But who knows what the conditions will be this year.

I was lucky enough at Sonora Pass to get a ride from some hikers all the way to Bridgeport, but that sure looked like a long lonely hitch if you don't get lucky meeting someone at the trailhead.

AlpineKevin
02-12-2017, 19:39
The people who are too ugly and aggressive looking like myself are really going to be screwed for hitching if it ends up being required this year. How much do ride brides cost? A pack of crackers?

YoungBloodOnTrail
02-12-2017, 20:07
I hiked through the Sierra early season in 16. The roads from Horshoe Meadows (to lone pine) and from Kearsarge pass (to independence/bishop)were closed. We had to walk them. Theyre about a days walk each. Muir Trail Ranch will be closed. I wouldn't count on any of the "ranches" to be open except for probably VVR, depending when you get there. Tuolumne Meadows will probably be open by the time you get there. Mammoth too, these both have big major road leading tomthem which will be plowed once snow stops falling.
Early season resupply suggestion is this.. KM - Kearsarge Pass (Exit to Bishop, CA) Kearsarge - VVR - Mammoth Lakes - Tuolumne

gwschenk
02-13-2017, 11:33
Duck Pass is also a good way into Mammoth.