PDA

View Full Version : Quick trip to Roan Mtn

hikernutcasey
02-13-2017, 11:02
Just thought I would share that a buddy of mine and I hiked from Hughes Gap to Hwy 19 Saturday and Sunday and saw 3 thru hikers! Mountain Harbor said they had had 4 come through before this weekend. I talked with one guy at Overmountain shelter and he started Jan 14th. I missed his name but he was a day behind a guy named Billygoat. He said the weather hadn't been too bad and he was making it ok. He started that early due to his work situation.

devoidapop
02-13-2017, 11:06
I am planning to hike from Carvers Gap to 19 next weekend. How were the trail conditions?

ScareBear
02-13-2017, 11:06
BillyGoat!!!!! That dude is having an epic thru hike...

hikernutcasey
02-13-2017, 17:36
I am planning to hike from Carvers Gap to 19 next weekend. How were the trail conditions?Sloppy. You won't have to deal with this but there was a lot of ice coming across Roan. Once we made it to Round and Jane balds it was super wet and muddy. I would imagine you will have similar conditions next weekend with some weather coming in mid week but nice warm temps forecast for the weekend which will thaw everything out.

coach lou
02-13-2017, 17:45
One of my fav walks, I can't wait to get back up there!

importman77
02-13-2017, 19:08
One of my fav walks, I can't wait to get back up there!

Same for me. This is my favorite section I've hiked, (so far). Love the balds.

devoidapop
02-13-2017, 19:23
I am planning to hike from Carvers Gap to 19 next weekend. How were the trail conditions?Sloppy. You won't have to deal with this but there was a lot of ice coming across Roan. Once we made it to Round and Jane balds it was super wet and muddy. I would imagine you will have similar conditions next weekend with some weather coming in mid week but nice warm temps forecast for the weekend which will thaw everything out.

Thanks for the trip report. I'm really looking forward to this. Last year when I did this hike I had a great time but didn't have a chance to hike Big Yellow or spend much time enjoying the view from the Humps. Gonna try to do both this time.

ZombieDust66
02-13-2017, 20:55
Planning to hike Beauty Spot to Elk Park in mid June with my daughter.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Tennessee Viking
02-14-2017, 11:22
The frost on Roan keeps things mucky across the balds.

devoidapop
02-14-2017, 21:16
Does the rocky, wooded section coming off Big Hump tend to stay icy?

hikernutcasey
02-15-2017, 13:04
Does the rocky, wooded section coming off Big Hump tend to stay icy?Unlike areas on top of Roan there was no ice at all this past Sunday for what it's worth. Elevation is lower there and unless a recent snow has fallen with below freezing temps for several days you shouldn't have too much to worry about.

devoidapop
02-19-2017, 20:07
We met a thru hiker at the barn Saturday. The trail was a mix of snow and muck, but not much ice between there and Carver's. We did get to see Cloudland in all it's glory on Sunday.