PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Heet

Drapac
02-13-2017, 14:38
Going with an alcohal stove (caldera keg), and kept reading that yellow HEET is a commonly used fuel.

Well apparently it is not common up around northern Ohio, i have looked at several gas stations and a Kmart and have come up empty.

Next stop is an auto zone or something similar.

I guess my question is, is yellow heet more plentiful/easier to find in trail towns?

B.j. Clark
02-13-2017, 15:01
I never once used Heet on the trail, though I thought I would. I saw it a few times in gas stations. Every trail town I stopped in had some outfitter or store that carried denatured alcohol, so no problems getting fuel.

Cheyou
02-13-2017, 15:18
Yes your stove can use many fuels . Buy what's available.

Thom

Slo-go'en
02-13-2017, 16:27
Walmart carries it. I search out the local NAPA store down south for it, most towns have one. I've been told the convenient stores don't stock it because it can be used to cook Meth.

Turk6177
02-13-2017, 17:54
I had trouble finding it in GA at the convenience stores because a lot of them used STP products. I think you need to find it at Walmart. I, like others, have found denatured alcohol just as good as HEET. You can refill your fuel at Neels Gap for starters.

jimmyjam
02-13-2017, 19:31
you will have no trouble finding fuel. gas stations, wal-mart, grocery stores, outfitters, hiker boxes, hostels, it's everywhere.

Engine
02-13-2017, 20:59
Auto parts stores have it, as well as many hardware stores. But denatured alcohol burns almost as hot.

Rex Clifton
02-13-2017, 21:25
I hate using denatured alcohol, the stuff stinks to high heaven! I live in northern Wisconsin and can always find yellow HEET at Walmart, even in the summer.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

cmoulder
02-14-2017, 07:42
People are different, for sure; DA (Klean-Strip or Sunnyside) doesn't bother me at all and neither does Esbit. Although if cooking in a vestibule it would have to be very well ventilated to use either one. The problem with DA is finding it in small amounts.

Cheyou
02-14-2017, 08:03
People are different, for sure; DA (Klean-Strip or Sunnyside) doesn't bother me at all and neither does Esbit. Although if cooking in a vestibule it would have to be very well ventilated to use either one. The problem with DA is finding it in small amounts.

The metal cans are not the most ultralight;0)
thom

Gambit McCrae
02-14-2017, 12:42
Funny for this to come up, Just this morning I bought a case of the stuff from amazon. Free shipping and at 24 bottles a case, it came out to 1.75 a bottle. Much cheaper then your expensive gas stations, and a good bit cheaper then your average price gas stations. I see the stuff go for anywhere from about $2.20 to $4.80 a bottle.

>>Buy Here!!<< (https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00B966CU6/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new)

greensleep
02-14-2017, 12:57
[QUOTE=Gambit McCrae;2127714]Funny for this to come up, Just this morning I bought a case of the stuff from amazon. Free shipping and at 24 bottles a case, it came out to 1.75 a bottle. Much cheaper then your expensive gas stations, and a good bit cheaper then your average price gas stations. I see the stuff go for anywhere from about $2.20 to $4.80 a bottle.

I believe it sells in Walmart for around $1.75 also.

swisscross
02-14-2017, 13:11
[QUOTE=Gambit McCrae;2127714]Funny for this to come up, Just this morning I bought a case of the stuff from amazon. Free shipping and at 24 bottles a case, it came out to 1.75 a bottle. Much cheaper then your expensive gas stations, and a good bit cheaper then your average price gas stations. I see the stuff go for anywhere from about $2.20 to $4.80 a bottle.

I believe it sells in Walmart for around $1.75 also.

Actually on sale with free two day shipping.
4 packs at 5 dollars....1.25 each.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HEET-Gasline-Antifreeze-and-Water-Remover/16408667

Gambit McCrae
02-14-2017, 13:46
Yea Yea just saw that...Never can get ahead

Tennessee Viking
02-14-2017, 15:26
Denatured alcohol is very common and a lot of shuttlers and hostels will ample supply for sale.

rhjanes
02-14-2017, 17:33
I hate using denatured alcohol, the stuff stinks to high heaven! I live in northern Wisconsin and can always find yellow HEET at Walmart, even in the summer.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using TapatalkInteresting.....anyone else find this? I buy Denatured in a quart can at the paint store. Zero smell (to me) when burning. Yellow HEET, also zero smell to me, when burning.

Deacon
02-14-2017, 17:39
Interesting.....anyone else find this? I buy Denatured in a quart can at the paint store. Zero smell (to me) when burning. Yellow HEET, also zero smell to me, when burning.

Nope. Never had a problem with odor with Heet, SLX, or Everclear.

Drapac
02-15-2017, 08:09
Thanks for all the replies! I finally did find some. Was pretty cheap at a little over a dollar a bottle. As others have said, I'm sure that will go up in a gas station though.

Here is another quick question, do you normally let the stove burn out after you are finished or try to smother/ try to cut off the oxygen?

rhjanes
02-15-2017, 11:05
I like my Zelph Starlite stove. I can lay a piece of aluminum foil over it and it snuffs out. The Zelph has some wadding in it, so it will retain the left over fuel, comes with a little plastic lid, but it doesn't spill out unless you over fill it. The lid, just attempts to keep the fuel from evaporating. Trick is, know how much fuel you suspect you need for a boil and try and not put in more fuel than you need. That way, you get a boil and within a minute the stove just runs dry and goes out.

Don't try and "blow" out an Alcy stove....unless you want to see your camp shoes burn, your ziplock, the leaves around the area....