PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Section Hike

nogray
02-13-2017, 14:51
A group of 4 of us did our first section hike last year. It was a great experience. We started at the southern terminus and made it *almost* to North Carolina. We had intended to just pick up where we left off, which would be my preference, but, the organizer has some reservations because:

He said he though that the North Carolina section had been impacted by the Tennessee fires. This is news to me, if true.
He said there was a major drought affecting everything south of Virginia. This one doesn't concern me, because there should be fairly significant replenishment this spring.

We're planning on hiking the first full week in April.

Any comments on my buddy's 2 concerns above, and any suggestions? I was thinking maybe the Shenandoah Valley.

::nogray

JC13
02-13-2017, 14:55
The GA/NC section was affected by several fires not tied to the Tennessee/Gatlinburg fires. Fire almost made it to ToG at Dick's Creek Gap. We are probably skipping that section ourselves this year and heading north from Fontana. We will come back next year and do Dicks Creek - Fontana.

FlyPaper
02-13-2017, 14:58
This is a useful site: http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Home/RegionalDroughtMonitor.aspx?southeast

It is updated each week. It has improved a lot, but is still dry. If I were in a similar situation, I would request info (possibly in this thread) on specific water availability at the shelters in the section. If you know there is water at a few specific locations, you can prepare accordingly and it doesn't really matter if the rest of the trail is try.

One other consideration... April is thru-hiking season in Southern NC. It will be at its most crowded time of the year. I would plan my southern NC hikes for the fall and head up north in the spring.

illabelle
02-13-2017, 15:09
While still technically in a drought, recent weeks have brought several inches of rain to our area. I would not expect any problems with obtaining water.

There were certainly areas in NC south of the Smokies that were burned. There were several wildfires in October & November. Perhaps someone from that area will give a report.

Cookerhiker
02-13-2017, 21:34
When you say "Shenandoah Valley," I assume you mean Shenandoah National Park. The AT goes along the crest of the Blue Ridge Mountains, not down in the valley.

Early April is a very nice time to hike SNP. At 100 miles, a week should be just right. The terrain is easier than Georgia but you'll still be rewarded with near-constant views since the leaves haven't emerged yet. You may have rain and some temperatures in the 30s, even high 20s at night but you can also have sunny 60-degree days. Go for it!

BTW, I lived in Lexington for 7 years, just moved last June.

o hiker guy
02-13-2017, 21:49
I would move farther north unless you like lots of company. I'll be heading north out of Damascus the 1st week of May.

MuddyWaters
02-13-2017, 21:57
drought means less water, not no water.

Even in a severe drought, the AT has more water than many other trails, several sources in a days hike.

Unless you hike 7 mpd that is.

BillyGr
02-13-2017, 23:07
Early April is a very nice time to hike SNP. At 100 miles, a week should be just right. The terrain is easier than Georgia but you'll still be rewarded with near-constant views since the leaves haven't emerged yet. You may have rain and some temperatures in the 30s, even high 20s at night but you can also have sunny 60-degree days. Go for it!

Just one thing to remember - many of the park services may not be open (or fully open) in April. Doesn't mean you shouldn't go, but be sure to check what is/isn't open so you don't plan to stop somewhere for a meal or lodging only to find out you can't and then are short of supplies.

Also, while probably quite unusual, you could get even higher temperatures. We were in the park (back in 2002) starting on the 13th, and the first days were actually into the 80's, possibly close to 90 (how often does one go canoeing [on the Shenandoah] that time of year and even splashing the water onto yourself doesn't keep you cool for very long!).

Venchka
02-13-2017, 23:31
Replace the Organizer.
If/when Y'all get around to the Smokies, the National Park, you will need reservations for the shelters you are required to stay in.
If this was mentioned above or you already knew it, I apologize.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk