PDA

View Full Version : Backpack--Osprey Aether 60 or Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone?

Lonesome Polecat
01-22-2006, 21:05
Which would you choose for an AT thru-hike on 3-1-06?:confused:

verber
01-23-2006, 00:12
I would choose the granite gear vapor trail :-)

Both the Aether 60 and the Nimbus Ozone are great packs. My suggestion would be to visit an outfitter and try both on, and choose which ever is more comfortable for you. If you don't have outfitters nearby, order both from REI, figure out which is the most comfortable for you, and return the other.

--Mark

Kerosene
01-23-2006, 11:55
Both are great packs, although I'm partial to the Nimbus Ozone since I purchased that one. If you can get your pack weight into the mid-20s, then I'd also suggest that you seriously look at the Vapor Trail, which will save you another pound due to its lighter suspension at the cost of 5-10 pounds of carrying capacity. I'd consider adding The Lid also, which gives you a sorely needed zippered pocket for your smaller stuff (2 oz).

khaynie
01-23-2006, 12:09
Aether 60. Mine has > 2200 miles and it it's still good as new. My only complaint is the smell. The backpad got a tad ripe during our thru-hike. Solution: Car wash. The high pressure, soapy, water seemed to knock down the odor. Good luck!

Grinds
01-23-2006, 13:04
I bought the Granite Gear Vapor Trail from the Outfitter in Harpers Ferry two ago for $125. Not sure if they have any left, but I couldn't find a better deal. I'm leaving March 16.

Tree-girl
01-23-2006, 13:13
I am absolutely in love with my granite gear nimbus ozone. :-) I'm leaving March 1st, and I think it's the perfect size, and the back support is amazing. When I was trying on packs a while ago, the ozone made 40lbs feel like 20; none of the other packs seemed close for me.

sparky2000
01-23-2006, 13:33
I vote with this last hiker who said theoutfittersatharpersferry. They have reliable service and 1 lb. xoz. packs. Note that when these ultralight packs say 3.3k ci, that's exactly what they mean. The one he recommended has a flap extra one can buy... Overloading these light weights will break them.

Jack Tarlin
01-23-2006, 19:51
I'm a very big Osprey fan, but these are both great packs.

RITBlake
01-23-2006, 21:08
Aether 60. Mine has > 2200 miles and it it's still good as new. My only complaint is the smell. The backpad got a tad ripe during our thru-hike. Solution: Car wash. The high pressure, soapy, water seemed to knock down the odor. Good luck!

I made the mistake of leaving mine in a sealed box. I opened it on Sunday for a day hike......my roomate found me passed out on the floor of my room an hour later :) it was THAT bad

Almost There
01-23-2006, 23:40
Echo first post, go somewhere where you can try both on.

Lonesome Polecat
01-24-2006, 00:26
To: Verber, Kerosene, & Grinds

Guys, I'd love a 25# pk wt. I'm a backpacking newbie, but an old ustabee AT ultrarunner--and know weather can scar you, and your mind, for life--even if you think you've done the smart thing.

Hopefully a Squall 2 tarptent, Big Agnes bag, & inflatable insulated aircore pad, will defend against frostbite and hypothermia. Maybe I can shed my hooded, waterproof fleece lined jacket and just use my Frogg Toggs suit over my Thermont Vest--with base layers of 1/2 pairs of long polypro underwear, SealSkin, SmartWool, liner socks, short gaitors, and Brooks Beast running shoes.

It all boils down to pack weight first, then comfort, then features, doesn't it. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions, but much thanks to all!:jump

khaynie
01-24-2006, 00:37
I made the mistake of leaving mine in a sealed box. I opened it on Sunday for a day hike......my roomate found me passed out on the floor of my room an hour later :) it was THAT bad

I bet it was awful! You got let that eagle breathe...

verber
01-24-2006, 01:08
Guys, I'd love a 25# pk wt. I'm a backpacking newbie...

Hopefully a Squall 2 tarptent, ....

It all boils down to pack weight first, then comfort, then features, doesn't it.

From what you listed, you shouldn't have a significant problem getting down to a normal pack weight of less than 25#, and it's sounds like you are considering items which will serve you well.

Personally, I would say that I look to maximize "total comfort" which including "in camp comfort" and "carry comfort" which is strongly influenced by weight. For example, if weight came first I would use a 5oz foam pad system, but I take an insulated air matress which is 4x the weight, but I sleep well at night.

--Mark

Lonesome Polecat
01-24-2006, 16:25
Took gear to outfitter and compared everything. Decided on Aether 60 for the following reasons -

1. Better, easier adjusting, suspension system.
2. Front pocket holds water filter, bottom end of camelback, and more.
3. Better access to side pockets.
4. Already has a lid--not an extra option.
5. Appears more durable--for 8 ozs more.
6. More accessory friendly.
7. Overall confidence level in Aether 60 over the lighter GG packs.
8. Cheaper! $150 vs $199 for Ozone + $20 more for a lid.

Don't think I could have gone wrong on any of these, but anyway this is my final choice.

Thanks everyone!:jump :banana :D

K-Man
01-24-2006, 16:37
Glad you picked up the 60!! Don't mean to steal the thread, but does anyone have any solutions for the squeak that comes from this pack? Is this where the name "screaming eagle" comes from? It finally started to drive me nuts this weekend.

khaynie
01-24-2006, 18:37
Mine actually didn't squeak. It's surprising that yours does. Your best bet would be to take it to an outfitter. Hope you get it fixed. If you carry your Osprey long enough, you'll figure out why it's called the screamin eagle. Don't put the cart in front of the horse...

wyclif
01-24-2006, 18:44
It all boils down to pack weight first, then comfort, then features, doesn't it?

I'm hardly an expert on this subject, but like you I want to reduce my pack weight and not drag tons of stuff to the trail, but I did want to mention one thing...

I wouldn't worry about pack weight first...work on the weight of everything that's going to go in your pack first, then deal with pack weight. Trim down as much as you can and do a few shakedown hikes before you go.

You can't accurately determine what kind of pack you'll need or how light you can go until you determine how much weight you'll carry with the major items inside: gear, all clothing except your base layer, and additional weight allowed for the food you'll carry between re-supply points.

RITBlake
01-25-2006, 01:42
Glad you picked up the 60!! Don't mean to steal the thread, but does anyone have any solutions for the squeak that comes from this pack? Is this where the name "screaming eagle" comes from? It finally started to drive me nuts this weekend.

Hey K-Man, my 'screamin eagle' would squeak from time to time. Loosening my load lifters a little usually solved the problem. Another thing is make that that black plastic loop thing is up over your gear, and not ducked down back in to your pack. That thing being twisted down can cause the squeek.

2 solutions

Rawhide
01-27-2006, 11:30
I used the Aether 60 for my thru-hike last year. They seem to have a very new and updated version out now, which looks interesting (and is a touch heavier). At the beginning it held all of my gear great. Soon, I sent home the lid (along with much of my stuff) and found that I very rarely needed all the space of my aether 60 even without the lid.

I switched to a new pack for a 500 mile section hike this year. It was a toss up between the Granite Gear Vapor Trail, Gregory G pack and the REI UL45. All are nice packs, but there are some things I still like in my pack. One being mesh pockets. And since the UL45 was on sale, I went with it.

Before you make a final decision I would:
First, get all of your other gear for your hike.
Second, goto the store , load packs with all your gear (to make sure it all fits)... dont forget food space.
Then make your decision. Feel each pack out for comfort and such.

hustler
01-28-2006, 00:18
I carry an Aether 45, best pack I have ever used, I will never carry anything other than a osprey ever again. I know many people who carry the 60 and they are a big fan.

K-Man
01-30-2006, 11:37
Hey RIT, this weekend I kept the black loop a little looser and the squeaking went away!! Thanks for the tip!!

RITBlake
01-30-2006, 15:02
Hey RIT, this weekend I kept the black loop a little looser and the squeaking went away!! Thanks for the tip!!

sure man. I had plenty of time to figure it out :)

swede
01-31-2006, 00:36
I have a GG Latitude Vapor, 3800 ci, easy access with the dual zippers, and I am a hammocker (HH Exped). Not a gearhead, but I guess you can say I'm for comfort where I can control it.