PDA

View Full Version : sleeping pad ?

pickle
02-14-2017, 19:06
Just want to get you guy's thought's on which pad to maybe get?:-?

Ashepabst
02-14-2017, 19:19
the lightest one you can afford that fits your needs.

I use an Exped Synmat UL LW, down to about 25*F

Malto
02-14-2017, 19:22
Need to give a bit more info. Where and when will this be used? How important is weight, comfort and price?

Turk6177
02-14-2017, 19:24
I believe the Thermarest NeoAir Xlite is still one of the best on the market. It is super light, comfortable and around the size of a nalgene bottle when rolled up. I have not had any problems with holes in mine, but I generally put my tent footprint down in a shelter to lay it on just in case there is a nail or splinter. It isn't cheap, but I guarantee you will like the weight savings trade off for the cost.

Engine
02-14-2017, 19:49
I was a Thermarest Neoair fan until I tried the Nemo Mummy Insulated Tensor...It's as warm or warmer than the Xlite, more comfortable, and quieter.

Venchka
02-14-2017, 20:40
Xtherm Large, for the width not the length. 2 months continuous use, 3+ months total. Temperature range: 78 high to 12 low so far. Silent.
Perfect sleep.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pickle
02-15-2017, 13:43
I'm going to do the A.T next year.
Had to push it back to 2018 because of my shoulder surgery a couple of months ago.
This will give me more time to dial in gear by doing some small local trails.
Went to local Dick's Sporting Goods-they only had the kind that you could use in the house, this store doesn't carry a lot of name brands.:-?

HooKooDooKu
02-15-2017, 14:33
What is the most important thing to you?

If it's weight and having plenty of space, then get the Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite size Large.
(I hated standard size sleeping pads because if I laid on my stomach, my arms were off the pad).
16oz with a high enough R-Value for 3 season camping.

It it's speed, then you might want to consider the Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Xlite SV.
For a little added weight, you get a pad that quickly inflates and deflates thru a roll-top opening.
21oz (5oz weight penalty).

chknfngrs
02-15-2017, 14:37
If stupid lo-fi is your name, the Z Rest should be your game. I love mine.

hyperslug
02-15-2017, 15:26
I have the original NeoAir but I wonder if after being on the trail for a week I will be so tired that I could sleep on a closed cell foam pad or bed of nails?

Sarcasm the elf
02-15-2017, 15:43
I have the original NeoAir but I wonder if after being on the trail for a week I will be so tired that I could sleep on a closed cell foam pad or bed of nails?

Depends who you are and usually how old you are. In my mid-twenties the z-lite foam pad was perfect. Now that I'm in my mid-thirties I'm really starting to feel it in my hips.

G-FOURce
02-15-2017, 18:20
sleep comfort is my priority, so I use a Thermarest Z-Lite on top of a Big Agnes SLX. sleep like a champ.

lwhikerchris
02-15-2017, 21:00
Xtherm all the way.

bigcranky
02-15-2017, 21:08
I went from a closed cell foam pad to the original Thermarest Prolite maybe 12 years ago. Nice pad, slept a lot of nights on it. When we did the Long Trail I wanted to save some weight (my pad was 24 oz), so I got the 3/4 version of the 3-season Prolite. It was ok in the tent, but on a shelter floor it was *miserable*. And you have to stay in shelters a fair amount on the LT. I looked around and noticed all the AT thru-hikers, who had been on the trail 1500 miles or so, were using the Neoair Xlite. Huh. So I traded out in Manchester Center and could not be happier.

Recently my wife and I got the Exped 2-person ultralight pad for when we hike together, and it's the most comfortable pad I've ever used. But I have not tried any of their solo pads.

MuddyWaters
02-15-2017, 21:34

Sleep is your refuge, something to look forward too that recharges you for the next day. The older you get, the harder the ground gets.

My xlite short is 7.6 oz. Cushiony comfort, and not much lighter except 3.5 oz thin ccf torso pad. I do put 2oz of CCF under feet/lower legs too, but that also sees day duty as sit pad, cause my bony arse hurts to sit on rocks.

jgillam
02-15-2017, 22:40
sleep comfort is my priority, so I use a Thermarest Z-Lite on top of a Big Agnes SLX. sleep like a champ.

I also have the BA SLX and will say that it very comfortable.

AfterParty
02-15-2017, 22:49
Neo air xlite chick version it is a little shorter but has a higher r value iirc. I use that if I am unable to hang. Or if its colder then 40 I will supplement my under quilt. I slept on mine for almost a year to be used to it, moved on to a hammock.

capehiker
02-16-2017, 00:20
I had the NeoAir Xlite version and traded it for the Xped Hyperlite series and blew an interior baffle. Returned it to REI for the NeoAir SV version. What I loved about the NeoAir SV was it blew up fast and it was rectangular, giving me more surface area. I am now hooked on rectangular pads. The downfall of the SV is it loses air during the night.

I am now using, and absolutely love, the Nemo Tensor 20L rectangular. it's right at 15oz and it 3 inches thick.

CHILL_TX
02-16-2017, 11:28
I have a NeoAir Xtherm, but I'm switching to this Exped. It's within .9oz of the NeoAir Xlite, has a much more pleasant material to sleep against, and is MUCH quieter (which is why I don't like my XTherm anymore.

http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/mats/synmat-hl-m

Greenlight
02-16-2017, 11:34
Quiet is good when it comes to sleeping pads. As a person who hates even the sound of someone fishing around in a Doritos bag, some of the current sleep pad offerings are deafening.

I was a Thermarest Neoair fan until I tried the Nemo Mummy Insulated Tensor...It's as warm or warmer than the Xlite, more comfortable, and quieter.

HollowJester
02-17-2017, 12:33
I'm probably one of the only people I know that uses the Klymit insulated v lite. I personally love it. I'm a side sleeper and it's super comfortable. Is it the lightest? No but for its weight it's great for side sleepers.

Don H
02-17-2017, 15:49
I like the XTherm. Having said that I had my delaminate inside and create a big bubble. I sent it back, we'll see if the warrantee covers it.

saltysack
02-17-2017, 16:18
I like the XTherm. Having said that I had my delaminate inside and create a big bubble. I sent it back, we'll see if the warrantee covers it.

Cascade designs has always be very fair....I'd guarantee it will be replaced....

Odd Man Out
02-17-2017, 17:59
I have a Static V. Very comfy and an excellent value if cost is an issue. I also like that it is wider than standard pads. However it doesn't have much insulation (I use it in the summer). They also make an insulated version for 3 season use.

KTX
02-17-2017, 20:00
I just picked up a Klymit X Frame off of gear trade. Not your typical sleeping pad, but it was a good price and is super light weight (9oz). I have a Big Agnes Q Core which is super comfy but heavy at 28oz, though I may just take my Ridgerest from Thermarest for sake of convenience.

blw2
02-20-2017, 14:47
I just spent my 1st weekend on my new Nemo Tensor inflatable. I had tried them out at REI and felt that the tensor was better than the thermarest neoair. Just felt better and was more quiet.
Well.... I had two horrible nights sleep.
not sure if it was the noise or what. 1st night I felt that maybe I had it a bit too firm, so some time during the night I deflated it a bit. Second night it almost seemed like it was flat. I'm pretty sure I topped it off a bit at bed time, but not sure now....
do these inflatables tend to leak slowly?
Now I was car plop camping so maybe I just wasn't tired enough!

anyway....Before this I was sleeping on a thermarest trailpro that I have had for several years. I don't know....maybe I'll look into getting a 3/4 length self inflating.... or maybe I'll just give it another go or two... I still like it better than the neoair.

Ethesis
02-20-2017, 14:57
Just realized my wife's newer thermarest that has the easy inflation system weighs the same as mine+ the pump sack. Mine is a little thicker. Hers covers more area. Mine used to crinkle a lot. Less noise overtime. Now silent when fully inflated.

Engine
02-20-2017, 15:33
I just spent my 1st weekend on my new Nemo Tensor inflatable. I had tried them out at REI and felt that the tensor was better than the thermarest neoair. Just felt better and was more quiet.
Well.... I had two horrible nights sleep.
not sure if it was the noise or what. 1st night I felt that maybe I had it a bit too firm, so some time during the night I deflated it a bit. Second night it almost seemed like it was flat. I'm pretty sure I topped it off a bit at bed time, but not sure now....
do these inflatables tend to leak slowly?
Now I was car plop camping so maybe I just wasn't tired enough!

anyway....Before this I was sleeping on a thermarest trailpro that I have had for several years. I don't know....maybe I'll look into getting a 3/4 length self inflating.... or maybe I'll just give it another go or two... I still like it better than the neoair. If the temp drops significantly after you first inflate it, you might have to add air during the night. Any inflatable will lose pressure as the temp drops, just like a car tire.

ScareBear
02-20-2017, 18:07
If the temp drops significantly after you first inflate it, you might have to add air during the night. Any inflatable will lose pressure as the temp drops, just like a car tire.

The fabric will stretch slightly enough that you will need to top off your mat 3 hours after filling...YMMV...

StubbleJumper
02-21-2017, 10:42
If the temp drops significantly after you first inflate it, you might have to add air during the night. Any inflatable will lose pressure as the temp drops, just like a car tire.

Yes, I've observed this too with my NeoAir. I inflate it with my breath at 98.6 degrees, and the pad will be fully inflated. If I wait 10 or 15 minutes, the air inside the pad will drop down to 70 degrees or whatever the prevailing temperature is, and the pad will become slightly soft. I just add one more breath of air into the pad, and I'm good to go. I find that heat from my body is adequate to keep the air temp in the pad warm enough during the night that it doesn't contract.

Stone1984
02-21-2017, 14:58
I am not an experienced hiker as I am just now getting gear together for a few small section hikes over the next couple years getting prepared to thru hike.

But after testing every one that REI had on hand I was very impressed with the Thermarest Evolite. Was very quiet and great for a side sleeper like me.

Sandy of PA
02-22-2017, 10:29
The Evolite has a low R value, only good for full summer.

heatherfeather
02-22-2017, 10:31
The Evolite has a low R value, only good for full summer.

There is an evolite plus that has similar R value to the neoair xlite, as it has the same type of insulation in between the foam sections.

AlpineKevin
02-22-2017, 16:57
If you are going with a Therma-Rest NeoAir Xlite or XTherm I would highly recommend you go to REI and actually lay on it first. I was going to buy an Xlite since that is what everyone raves by. But some complained about how loud it is so I went to REI to test the sound. I didn't mind the sound, but I found it very uncomfortable and small. For one I find just air to be hard. I would deflate it and deflate it but it would still feel hard (I'm 240lbs). Then the other thing is I was a couple inches raised off the ground so any feet, arms or legs that didn't fit would just uncomfortably dangle in the air. Which brings me to the biggest issue for me. The width. I'm a big guy with a very big muscular upper body. My shoulder blades were both almost off the mattress, which just left my shoulders and arms dangling.

I ended up going with a Terma-Rest Pro-Lite large. It was very comfortable, was still light weight, and since it lays much flatter to the ground any arm or leg that would find it's way off the mattress would just be seamlessly on the ground as if an extension of the mattress and not dangling in the air.

CalebJ
02-22-2017, 17:01
Do keep in mind for comparison that the Prolite has less than half the insulating value and weighs 2 ounces more than a comparable XTherm.

Edit - fixed a flub in the original statement.

cmoulder
02-22-2017, 19:14
Do keep in mind for comparison that the XTherm has less than half the insulating value and weighs 2 ounces more than a comparable Prolite.

Reversed? Xtherm R=5.7

CalebJ
02-22-2017, 19:21
Yes, I said that backwards. Thanks for catching.

cmoulder
02-22-2017, 19:35
I'd like an R=10 pad some times. :D

AfterParty
02-22-2017, 19:37
Whatever you get try it out for a few nights. And use it prior to you thru. Poor sleep can be a moral killer. The elbow drop did bug me the first few nights but then about 3 months on my xlite my back couldn't do it anymore and I switched to a hammock. I could easily have failed on a trail attempt.

Venchka
02-22-2017, 22:20
Do keep in mind for comparison that the XTherm has less than half the insulating value and weighs 2 ounces more than a comparable Prolite.

The Xtherm is R-5.7.
Are you saying that the Prolite is R-12?
Clearly you have the Xtherm confused with another product.
Wayne

Venchka
02-22-2017, 22:22
The Xtherm is R-5.7.
Are you saying that the Prolite is R-12?
Clearly you have the Xtherm confused with another product.
Wayne

Correction found. Sorry. I didn't read far enough.
Wayne

CalebJ
02-22-2017, 22:31
No worries. I just hadn't had a chance to go back for the edit in time.

QiWiz
02-23-2017, 18:46
Just want to get you guy's thought's on which pad to maybe get?:-?

I like the NeoAir. Has held up well for me, is light, and provides more insulation value than a plain air mattress.

cmoulder
02-23-2017, 19:13
Recently I've been using a TR Xtherm Max long/wide cut down and resealed to make it a med/wide (71"x 25").

I've got a grand total of 4 nights on it using it at 4, 22, 25 and 30°F, all nights sleeping on snow. While it is definitely noticeably warmer than the Trekker alone and maybe a smidge warmer than the Trekker + 3/8" CCF pad, I still needed to put my long-ish Evazote sit pad between me and the Xtherm because it was a still a bit cold in the shoulder-to-hip region. However this worked perfectly and I was comfortable.

I'm guessing that snow is perhaps the most difficult surface to insulate against because it is a practically bottomless heat sink that isn't much influenced by ambient temps.

SWODaddy
02-23-2017, 21:04
I have a Nemo Tensor which I like quite a bit. It's light, extremely compact, and doesnt crinkle.

saltysack
02-24-2017, 16:00
Recently I've been using a TR Xtherm Max long/wide cut down and resealed to make it a med/wide (71"x 25").

I've got a grand total of 4 nights on it using it at 4, 22, 25 and 30°F, all nights sleeping on snow. While it is definitely noticeably warmer than the Trekker alone and maybe a smidge warmer than the Trekker + 3/8" CCF pad, I still needed to put my long-ish Evazote sit pad between me and the Xtherm because it was a still a bit cold in the shoulder-to-hip region. However this worked perfectly and I was comfortable.

I'm guessing that snow is perhaps the most difficult surface to insulate against because it is a practically bottomless heat sink that isn't much influenced by ambient temps.

Still don't have the ballz to shorten my xtherm..@ only 5'11" I really should...how much lighter is it now?

Sandy of PA
02-24-2017, 16:34
You lose about .27 oz. per inch of length, a bit less for the curved part. Do the math for how short you want it, determine the length desired when inflated. I got my All-season a bit shorter than I was shooting for. Set the iron all the way hot, trim out the stuff in the middle, melt a new seam. Curve the corners to keep them flat, I used a yardstick clamped to my ironing board to get a nice straight line. No warranty, but I have not needed it. X-lites are about .2 ozs per inch. Be brave, customize!

saltysack
02-24-2017, 19:33
Forget my xtherm...a buddy just bought this....I have pad envy!!![emoji23]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170224/9b9a767882d01141c6fd91108ff6d1d2.jpg

cmoulder
02-24-2017, 19:46
Mine is the Xtherm Max which is the rectangle shape, not the mummy, and after cutting it down it weighs 20.6 oz. I did not weigh it beforehand. REI spec is 23 oz stock, so that's pretty much in line with Sandy of PA's projection. IIRC it was something like 80" long inflated, which was much longer than I needed (5''9")!

Unfortunately CD/TR doesn't make anything in the M/W format and only one air mat, the Trekker, in the S/W format, so if you want those you've gotta get a Large and cut it down. I've cut-and-resealed a couple before and it is not that hard to do. For sure, a bit of pucker factor when slicing into a brand new $200+ air mat, lol. :eek: Practice with the iron a little bit on the piece you cut off to gain some confidence. I've never had any problems at all in the field with the ones I have shortened.

Ethesis
03-02-2017, 12:04
Forget my xtherm...a buddy just bought this....I have pad envy!!![emoji23]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170224/9b9a767882d01141c6fd91108ff6d1d2.jpg

Ive seen those and wondered about weight. They are cheap enough.

saltysack
03-02-2017, 12:59
Ive seen those and wondered about weight. They are cheap enough.

I was only joking...it's pretty heavy...definitely wouldn't take backpacking

Hosh
03-02-2017, 13:35
BA Q-Core SLX is luxurious, stable, warm and packs small. I prefer the 25" wide as a side, rotisserie, quilt sleeper.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Pad/qcoreslx

Ethesis
03-02-2017, 13:56
For weight and price:

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Specs/Pad

jeffmeh
03-04-2017, 06:36
An Amazon seller has a great deal on the Exped Synmat UL7 MW. If I did not already have one.... https://www.amazon.com/Exped-SynMat-Pump-Sleeping-Mat/dp/B00HQXZMSE?th=1&psc=1