PDA

View Full Version : Gander Mt. Closing?

Mother Natures Son
02-14-2017, 20:23
I've heard that Gander Mt. is closing many of their stores. Also, they might file for Chapter 11 soon. Any truth to this rumor?

Venchka
02-14-2017, 20:32
Don't know. But I'll keep an eye open for any news. My store might have a deal on JetBoils and MSR fuel.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheyou
02-14-2017, 20:37
The gander mt in my neck of the woods isn't a hikers dream .

Thom

johnspenn
02-14-2017, 20:44
No great loss, if true, IMO. I went twice, first and last haha

CO_west
02-14-2017, 21:39
The Gander Mountain near where my folks live did pretty good business selling firearms but that was about it. Then Cabela's built a store in town and Gander Mountain is a ghost town.

Venchka
02-14-2017, 21:39
I've heard that Gander Mt. is closing many of their stores. Also, they might file for Chapter 11 soon. Any truth to this rumor?

Google Gander Mountain.
The first half dozen entries are about Chapter 11.
Wayne

dervari
02-14-2017, 21:44
Got good deals on some XXL clothes there. Half of what REI or Cabelas were charging.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

G-FOURce
02-14-2017, 22:38
We have a Cabela's and its absolutely awful. Prices are not competitive at all, which is compounded by an employee base so profoundly ignorant that they all need helmets. Sorry if that offends anyone, but that the Cabela's is still open here is either a retail anomaly or an indictment of the IQ in the SC upstate.

G-FOURce
02-14-2017, 22:40
Sorry.... That short rant was to say that its sad that Cabelas is putting GM out of business

jgillam
02-14-2017, 23:18
Word in the hunting world, is that Bass Pro Shops has, or in the process of, buying out Cabelas.

Sarcasm the elf
02-14-2017, 23:22
Word in the hunting world, is that Bass Pro Shops has, or in the process of, buying out Cabelas.

Correct, it's going through the motions right now...

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/regulators-raise-concerns-over-bass-pro-shops-cabelas-merger-2016-12-30-9103740

Captain Blue
02-14-2017, 23:27
$5.5 Billion Bass Pro Shops, Cabela’s Deal Falling Apart

http://www.scout.com/outdoors/wired2fish/story/1754215-bass-pro-cabela-s-deal-falling-apart

It probably won't happen. Cabela's is in tough shape financially too.

madgoat
02-15-2017, 08:43
Gander Mountain and Cabela's going out of business? I guess you can only sell so many camo coffee mugs, and duck dynasty pillowcases.

Christoph
02-15-2017, 09:03
Gander Mountain and Cabela's going out of business? I guess you can only sell so many camo coffee mugs, and duck dynasty pillowcases.
This! Plus the prices aren't competitive. Unfortunately GM and Academy is the only outdoor stores around my area and they both are so far overpriced.

4eyedbuzzard
02-15-2017, 09:16
Retail has become a race to the bottom with Amazon leading the way. B&M retailers can't make a profit marketing goods if someone can price the same goods without having to pay the overhead associated with traditional retail inventory and distribution. Even Walmart is having trouble competing with Amazon's online business model.

Tennessee Viking
02-15-2017, 11:24
True. Their store expansion project has failed. Gander Mtn is really more of a hunting/fishing store. Not a huge hiking section.

JumpMaster Blaster
02-15-2017, 14:16
Gander Mountain here is mostly firearms and hunting/fishing equipment. I may have bought one thing for hiking/camping from them. The only other choice I have here is Dick's Sporting Goods (very small selection of heavy gear), or Academy (which I will never ever set foot in).

I wish we could get an REI here.

JumpMaster Blaster
02-15-2017, 14:18
Retail has become a race to the bottom with Amazon leading the way. B&M retailers can't make a profit marketing goods if someone can price the same goods without having to pay the overhead associated with traditional retail inventory and distribution. Even Walmart is having trouble competing with Amazon's online business model.

And Warren Buffet just unloaded all his Walmart stock yesterday.

Rain Man
02-15-2017, 14:32
I wish we could get an REI here.

No great loss to lose GM or Cabela's. But even REI is sliding toward a slope of more "fashion" and clothing, less gear, IMHO. That is a loss.

Odd Man Out
02-15-2017, 16:06
A couple of years ago they rebranded themselves. Got rid of almost everything except guns. Maybe that's not working for them.

KTX
02-15-2017, 16:10
Never enjoyed Gander Mountain, terrible customer service and management, from store managers up to corporate. Worked there for 2 months before taking my leave.

Cheyou
02-15-2017, 16:56

You forgot pink camo

thom

4eyedbuzzard
02-15-2017, 18:33
You forgot pink camo

thomWhat is, what you forgot on your last Flamingo hunt, Alex?

Pondjumpr
02-16-2017, 17:10
Many may not realize but back in the 80's, maybe early 90's, Gander Mountain had a huge presence in catalogs. I remember getting them and it had all the cool stuff you couldn't buy in local stores, at least not around me. This was before the internet made shopping so easy. Cabelas bought the rights to Gander Mountain Catalogs, mailing lists, etc. Gander Mountain kept a few stores but could not send catalogs and it really stunted their business growth.
I am sure that with the online sales, Gander Mountain has made up some ground but at the same time, so many retailers are having a hard time selling goods that are also available online.
Think about it, you go to a retail store (insert any name here) and look at some gear. While you don't buy it that day, you go home and research it. While you are researching it online, an ad from an online supplier has the exact same gear for 20% less. On a $200 piece of gear, it would cost you $40 more to buy locally, plus state sales tax. Now, places online offer free or cheap shipping and shipping times are days, not weeks. It's hard for the local guy to compete.

Also, many people say they support the local stores, and many do but many also look at dollars and cents and can't rationalize paying 20% more just so the local guy can stay in business. It's a tough decision but understandable how many of these stores are carrying store brand items more and more and less of the "off the shelf" stull that you can easily order online for less money, without paying for the brick and mortar building.

Ok, back to talking about Flamingo fooling pink camo. :)

blw2
02-16-2017, 17:40
Yeah, i remember the catalogs, and remember the feeling I had the first time I saw that they had a store.... sorta like a kid going to toys r us.

but you're right. Selection at any store isn't total, and I almost always want to go home and research items, especially big ticket stuff....read reviews, or whatever.... and even if it's not cheaper it's certainly easier to order it, rather than wait a week or two till I can get back across town, and make the drive through traffic..... yeah, as much as I want to support a store, it's just hard.

Rain Man
02-17-2017, 10:36
On a $200 piece of gear, it would cost you $40 more to buy locally, plus state sales tax.

The tax on an online purchase from a vendor with no connection ("nexus") with your state is exactly the same as in a local brick-and-mortar store situated in your state. It's just that you have the legal and moral obligation to report and pay it yourself, rather than the store acting as the state's tax collector.

BlackCloud
02-20-2017, 22:50
Gander Mtn. claims to be the #1 seller of firearms in the country. If true, no way they go out of business.

Ktaadn
02-21-2017, 10:15
Gander Mtn. claims to be the #1 seller of firearms in the country. If true, no way they go out of business.
I think I recently saw a headline saying firearm sales are down.

4eyedbuzzard
02-21-2017, 11:38
Gander Mtn. claims to be the #1 seller of firearms in the country. If true, no way they go out of business.I wouldn't lay a weeks pay on that. No business model survives excessive debt.

Pondjumpr
02-21-2017, 15:53
True. I got the annual sales details from Amazon before they set up shop in my state. Many probably still do.

Do you pay sales tax on used gear you buy? Probably not. However, it fall sunder the same rules and obligations. You should pay sales tax on the purchase of used gear and the seller should pay income tax on the sale. How many people do you know that actually do this? Flea markets around here are now trying to ensure that all regular sellers are licensed and pay sales tax on their sales. It's only right to do this because most are no different than the retail stores selling Monday Through Friday, they just usually skip out on the tax portion that the other, legitimate stores end up paying. Of course, many still slip through the cracks and in the end, the responsibility for paying the taxes falls directly on the shoulders of the consumer.

Pondjumpr
02-21-2017, 15:54
in reference to...^^^

The tax on an online purchase from a vendor with no connection ("nexus") with your state is exactly the same as in a local brick-and-mortar store situated in your state. It's just that you have the legal and moral obligation to report and pay it yourself, rather than the store acting as the state's tax collector.

4eyedbuzzard
02-21-2017, 17:42
True. I got the annual sales details from Amazon before they set up shop in my state. Many probably still do.

Do you pay sales tax on used gear you buy? Probably not. However, it fall sunder the same rules and obligations. You should pay sales tax on the purchase of used gear and the seller should pay income tax on the sale. How many people do you know that actually do this? Flea markets around here are now trying to ensure that all regular sellers are licensed and pay sales tax on their sales. It's only right to do this because most are no different than the retail stores selling Monday Through Friday, they just usually skip out on the tax portion that the other, legitimate stores end up paying. Of course, many still slip through the cracks and in the end, the responsibility for paying the taxes falls directly on the shoulders of the consumer.Yes, the buyer is responsible in many states for paying the sales tax. But you left out that the seller theoretically could owe a tax (but it would be capital gains tax, not income tax) on the sale price minus the depreciated cost basis when selling personal property. Typically, if the sales price reflected the value of the used gear, one could argue (generally successfully) that the reduction in value was due to depreciation, damage, etc. For example, you don't declare or pay income tax on the money you receive when you sell a used car (unless you are a dealer and in that business). But NOBODY, including IRS, is suggesting that people keep track or declare capital gains or income from small private transactions on personal property where typically the sales price is at a fair adjusted cost basis and the seller is not engaged in selling such items as a business.

Engine
02-21-2017, 18:53
Gander opened a store in Ocala a couple years ago and unfortunately it's been the only choice locally besides Dick's, which isn't really an option for decent gear. I'm not all that sad to see it go however, since they want to charge Orvis prices for mid-range quality.

TimOnWhiteBlaze
02-21-2017, 19:13
Guns is what was on the in-store PA infomercials today. There was a large section dedicated to 50% off fashion, fleece, and rainwear.

tauwillow
02-21-2017, 23:18
As a 'big bottomed girl', Gander Mountain is one of the only places that I can get hiking and snow pants that fit. All the other outlets seem to believe that only skinny women like to be active outdoors. I will miss them if they go.

Theosus
02-23-2017, 08:24

So true... I think there are a few states without it, but most require you to pay a "use tax". Amazon sends me an email in January telling me what I should pay to my state. Since they have a warehouse in state they started taxing a few things. TurboTax even asks me when I'm doing my state return:
"Did you make any out of state purchases that you are required to pay South Carolina Use Tax on?" In other words: Did I buy something online and not pay sales tax?

llittle_llama
02-25-2017, 04:21
I would love to see them go. Another B&M store that tears down trees and paves huge parking lots that only ever see 10% capacity getting closed, SIGN ME UP!!!

TX Aggie
02-27-2017, 12:21
I would love to see them go. Another B&M store that tears down trees and paves huge parking lots that only ever see 10% capacity getting closed, SIGN ME UP!!!

So now there's a huge empty building and a parking lot that gets used 0% of the time. How does that help anyone?

llittle_llama
02-27-2017, 16:20
So now there's a huge empty building and a parking lot that gets used 0% of the time. How does that help anyone?

In the sense that they will learn to stop building them. The ones that are built can be repurposed and used for other things. Huge parking lot can become a farmers market. Building can be used by the city for lots of things or just torn down and recycled.

TX Aggie
02-27-2017, 16:38
In the sense that they will learn to stop building them. The ones that are built can be repurposed and used for other things. Huge parking lot can become a farmers market. Building can be used by the city for lots of things or just torn down and recycled.

Interesting.

Not in the sense that of course it could be used for another purpose, just interesting that your default is for the city to do something with it rather than another retailer.

llittle_llama
02-27-2017, 16:46
Interesting.

Not in the sense that of course it could be used for another purpose, just interesting that your default is for the city to do something with it rather than another retailer.

The retailers are the problem. We don't need all these big box stores. We need to go back to the small shops with specialized items where the owners are the ones running the shops and helping customers. Where you get help from people that care and actually have a vested interest in you. A hardware store is different as a large quantity or building materials and things is always in demand but we don't need our clothes, dishes, food, medicine, and stereos to all come from the same place, that's just lazy.

llittle_llama
02-27-2017, 16:49
And my thoughts for the City taking over is more along the lines of the fact that places are usually left abandoned as taxes build up and it's not worth what the real estate market demands. This is not always the case but look at places like 6 Flags New Orleans. It's been how long since the hurricane and that place is still just hanging out and falling into ruins.

4eyedbuzzard
02-27-2017, 16:49
Little good comes out of existing commercial buildings being vacant. They attract loitering, crime, vermin, etc. The municipality (especially if they take over possession) loses multiple types of commercial tax revenue and takes on operating and maintenance expenses, which drives up residential tax rates. Jobs, often entry level retail ones which are good especially for teens/young adults, are lost. Tearing them down physically isn't without cost either. Not something to applaud.

saltysack
02-27-2017, 20:32

+1....stop urban sprawl!!! Senseless overdevelopment is ruining so much of our country.....

llittle_llama
02-28-2017, 11:59
Little good comes out of existing commercial buildings being vacant. They attract loitering, crime, vermin, etc. The municipality (especially if they take over possession) loses multiple types of commercial tax revenue and takes on operating and maintenance expenses, which drives up residential tax rates. Jobs, often entry level retail ones which are good especially for teens/young adults, are lost. Tearing them down physically isn't without cost either. Not something to applaud.

I can only agree with everything you said here ;) There is not one point you made that isn't without merit. I think the bigger issue here is that cities need to stop letting stores open and maybe make them restore old buildings/help tear down old ones before building new ones.

BillyGr
02-28-2017, 14:22
I can only agree with everything you said here ;) There is not one point you made that isn't without merit. I think the bigger issue here is that cities need to stop letting stores open and maybe make them restore old buildings/help tear down old ones before building new ones.

In other words, be more like the state of Vermont :)

They have rules requiring this when possible - for instance in Bennington you have a Home Depot that is unusually wide but not very deep, due to it being in what was once a supermarket and an Ames discount store. And a Walmart in what was once a 5&10 (though they did finally get permission to expand that to more of a "normal" sized store.
They look different, but they work out OK in the end.
And they do allow new buildings (in fact the supermarket mentioned as part of the Home Depot has a newer larger store in the same plaza as the Walmart - for that they removed several smaller older empty storefronts and moved the building back a bit to make more room for parking, but still reusing an existing site), as well as a supermarket across from the Hone Depot that was a totally new plaza, as far as I know since likely at the time no other redevelopable spot was available.

4eyedbuzzard
02-28-2017, 14:45
VT looks good on the surface to a tourist. Beneath that surface lies a lot of problems that could be helped by being more business friendly.

TX Aggie
02-28-2017, 15:23
Still trying to understand how having an established company that's already occupying a space go out of business is a "good" thing.

Cheyou
02-28-2017, 15:31
Ha ha I thought this was a hiking website.

Thom

Tundracamper
02-28-2017, 19:29
The retailers are the problem. We don't need all these big box stores.

You ever heard of free enterprise? Nobody is forcing people to shop at these big box stores. Still, go ahead and blame the store, if you want. Then, when you have to pay $10 for a tent spike, the complaining will really start.

George
02-28-2017, 19:39
Ha ha I thought this was a hiking website.

Thom

occasionally the side tracks veer back into hiking related subjects

Cheyou
02-28-2017, 19:42
occasionally the side tracks veer back into hiking related subjects

Ha ha

thom