PDA

View Full Version : Zero shoes

MuddyWaters
02-15-2017, 00:24
https://xeroshoes.com/?utm_campaign=Retargeting&utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=C02&utm_term=P02&utm_content=Mobile

Gotta love a ad proclaiming something is great for feet.....using pic of feet with badly hammerred toes....

We know barefoot is better, but the world is full of sharp objects, enter Xero Shoes.
The next best thing to barefoot, our 5,000 mile soles will allow you to move freely and naturally while protecting your feet.

https://external-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/safe_image.php?d=AQBhPYfvbmad5iFB&w=476&h=249&url=https%3A%2F%2Fscontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net%2Ft45.1600-4%2F10156674_6016187296956_111662030_n.jpg&cfs=1&upscale=1&sx=249&sy=0&sw=602&sh=315&_nc_hash=AQA-R57U1RWYLwOf

(https://xeroshoes.com/?utm_campaign=Retargeting&utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=C02&utm_term=P02&utm_content=Mobile)

salsi
02-15-2017, 01:31
I would not want to wear those anywhere in the woods, even just in camp

ADVStrom14
02-15-2017, 06:47
I have a hard time seeing how they stay on your feet. I mean obviously they have straps but I just think about how my feet move while stepping and I can see them being more of a trip hazard than a foot protector.

Jes

saltysack
02-15-2017, 07:52
I'd have broken toes in minutes....can't imagine not having any toe guard...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TX Aggie
02-15-2017, 08:43
They're based off the sandals worn by the Terahumara who are known for running the jagged trails in Mexico's Copper Canyon. They work, but it's not something you would just thrown on after years of full hiking boots and just run off down the trail.

Ktaadn
02-15-2017, 09:34
I have a pair of xero shoes, but not the model pictured. They are my go to summer shoe and I have worn them as a camp shoe. I have not tried to run in them or hike in them. As mentioned above, I do like to have some toe protection. It is also a bit of a challenge to get the fit dialed in with the strap system.

CalebJ
02-15-2017, 09:35
I wore something similar a few years ago for the approach trail and first few miles of the BMT. Though I'd spent a few weeks wearing them around town and running in them, I still got some amazing blisters where the cords go down between the toes to the sole. Aside from that they were comfortable. Those blisters were horrendous. Thankfully I'd also carried trail runners to switch over to, but I was still hobbling along for a couple of days. I might try again someday to get my feet comfortable with the cords, but it may not be worth it.

johnspenn
02-15-2017, 12:43
I have a pair of the Xero DIY's. I configured them differently than the picture in the OP- strap over the toes, not between and around and behind the ankle- so I could wear socks with them.

I wear them quite a bit. I try to walk a few miles a week with them weather permitting, and have even done a 5ish mile day hike in them. Also use them for camp shoes when I take them, and water crossings.

HYOH YMMV and all that but I really like mine.

-Rush-
02-15-2017, 13:48
I've got a pair of 6oz/each camp shoes from Walmart that have a toe guard, cover the top of the foot, and have a heel strap. Plenty of ventilation and they have survived over 200 miles so far. $20.

Henry8
02-15-2017, 15:34
I have a pair of Luna Sandals that are similar to Zero Shoes. I use them as my camp shoes (9.9 oz for the pair), also run in them occasionally. If you like a minimal shoe/zero drop then you'll love them. If you like a sturdy shoe with support you'll hate them. My next pair will be the Zero without the toe spreader so it's easier to wear a sock, but despite the abuse I can't wear them out (very durable).

KTX
02-15-2017, 16:07
Funny you should post this! I should actually have a pair of these on my doorstep when I get home. Planning to use as my camp shoes, I have tried them on before and am use to minimalist footwear, usually I wear a cheap pair of flips as camp shoes so I figured these would be a nice upgrade and last forever.

RockDoc
02-15-2017, 17:16
I'll stick with Tevas or Keens that have toe protection, plus a stout sole. If your trail shoes blow out, you want something that you can actually backpack in.

Venchka
02-15-2017, 17:46
I'll stick with Tevas or Keens that have toe protection, plus a stout sole. If your trail shoes blow out, you want something that you can actually backpack in.
My thoughts exactly. I own both brands. I'll flip a coin before my next trip. I'll also use them for river crossings.
Wayne

ImAfraidOfBears
02-16-2017, 04:56
I've had several of these, love them, the thin 4mm sole variety clocks in at just over 4 oz for the pair

Jane55
02-16-2017, 06:57
i wouldn't wear anything like that even in town, thought they do look nice. leave aside hiking

tflaris
02-16-2017, 08:54
I bought a pair a while back tried using them on my JMT ThruHike.

Conclusion: Worthless for camping shoes. Even more worthless as stream crossing shoes.

YMMV

CalebJ
02-16-2017, 13:05
Like I said above, I used Xero's Sensori Venture (I think they call them Amari Venture now?) sandals going up the approach trail with a pack on. Other than a strap adjustment issue, they were just fine. Not sure why they're perceived as worthless.

FiftyNine
02-16-2017, 15:14
Just got a pair of zeros and only have used them in the house but seems very comfortable. I do not like flip-flops or something with the toe separator. Have always used crocs before but was looking for something not so bulky. They are only about an ounce less then my crocs for the pair.

The Kisco Kid
02-16-2017, 16:29
Zero shoes WEIGHT MORE THAN flip flops. So, less cushiony comfort at the end of a long day's hike and more weight.

Teva Mush II (http://www.teva.com/men-flip-flops/mush-ii/4168.html) - best comfort/longest lasting/lightest weight flip-flops that I've found (and believe me I've looked)

capehiker
02-16-2017, 16:44
Zero shoes WEIGHT MORE THAN flip flops. So, less cushiony comfort at the end of a long day's hike and more weight.

Teva Mush II (http://www.teva.com/men-flip-flops/mush-ii/4168.html) - best comfort/longest lasting/lightest weight flip-flops that I've found (and believe me I've looked)

What size do you wear and what is the weight for the pair of Tevas?

The Kisco Kid
02-16-2017, 18:23
Teva mush II's in size 12 are 7.4 a pair. The only lighter flip flops I've found are the cheap kind that are guaranteed to break.

capehiker
02-16-2017, 20:11
Teva mush II's in size 12 are 7.4 a pair. The only lighter flip flops I've found are the cheap kind that are guaranteed to break.

Awesome, Thanks! I wear that size as well. Those are 4oz lighter than my Waldies.

DaytonaHiker
02-16-2017, 20:16
Let me give you another perspective. I have both Xero and Luna's. I converted when I was having foot problems with standard shoes. I love that I can get them custom fit to my individual feet for $100. Now they are my "go to" shoe. I've hiked multiple 20+ mile days in each. I've run several 100 mile technical trail races in them. They have improved my walking and running form because I have to watch where my feet go. It took me several years to build to this point and that is the key. It takes time to learn forefoot running/walking. Just saying.....

blw2
02-17-2017, 12:03
Let me give you another perspective. I have both Xero and Luna's. I converted when I was having foot problems with standard shoes. I love that I can get them custom fit to my individual feet for $100. Now they are my "go to" shoe. I've hiked multiple 20+ mile days in each. I've run several 100 mile technical trail races in them. They have improved my walking and running form because I have to watch where my feet go. It took me several years to build to this point and that is the key. It takes time to learn forefoot running/walking. Just saying.....

I'm reminded of a guy in another forum a few years back, that wrote about hiking the grand canyon rim to rim with his daughter. Both wearing 5-fingers shoes. Wasn't his 1st rim to rim and sounded like an experienced backpacker. Anyway, the thing that really stuck with me was his point about fatigue
at the end of the day, when if wearing regular shoes or hiking boots, his dogs would really be barking....but with the 5-fingers they were not. I know that feeling he described... you know, when it feels just oh so good to pull off those shoes?

Secondmouse
02-17-2017, 12:46
I'm reminded of a guy in another forum a few years back, that wrote about hiking the grand canyon rim to rim with his daughter. Both wearing 5-fingers shoes. Wasn't his 1st rim to rim and sounded like an experienced backpacker. Anyway, the thing that really stuck with me was his point about fatigue
at the end of the day, when if wearing regular shoes or hiking boots, his dogs would really be barking....but with the 5-fingers they were not. I know that feeling he described... you know, when it feels just oh so good to pull off those shoes?

taking off my 12" Goretex insulated hunting boots is the second best feeling in the world... :)

TX Aggie
02-17-2017, 13:17

I've done several shorter day hikes in Five-Finger as well as run in them.

As someone else mentioned, this type of shoe can take YEARS to untrain your feet from bad habits and musculoskeletal issues from wearing overly cushioned shoes.

If you're into giving minimalist running/walking a try, I think the Zero's are an excellent option. But they aren't something you can go walking 5 miles in straight out of the wrapper and expect a great experience.

Night Train
02-17-2017, 16:44
Awesome footwear.

theory
02-23-2017, 00:09
you have to realize that xero shoes are made to have a true 'barefoot' feel to them and being a 'minimalist' shoe that is super lightweight and can easily fold up into a tiny roll and be stuffed inside a pocket. if you want protection then these are not for you. i have the DIY kit and put them together where the lace doesn't go between your toes so it does no rubbing or causes any blisters, however they do not stay on super good but that's not why i got them. i wanted a true barefoot feel with a zero drop sole and also wanted something super light but also durable and cheap. given that they offer a 5,000 mile warranty i gave them a go. would i buy them again? idk. i don't even wear them or any shoes really but i still have them just in case.