PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for add-on hip belt pouches

TwoSpirits
02-15-2017, 14:24
I recently purchased a Granite Gear pack that has no hip belt pouches. I'm finding it harder than I expected to find some pouches to add on. I really like having the hip pouches to keep things like my phone, gloves, DEET, or sunscreen, etc. The Granite Gear pouches don't quite fit the bill because they are just a tad too small.

I'm using my phone as the basis for the size I need: it's a Samsung Galaxy S7 with a Lifeproof case, so it measures almost exactly 6" long. I'm looking for a couple pouches that would fit the phone without wrestling it in and out.

Anyone have any recommendations for add-on hip belt pouches in that size range that would work with a Granite Gear hip belt?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

JC13
02-15-2017, 14:40
I have a GG Virga 2 with no hip pouches as well. I was looking at the ZPacks shoulder or hip pouches and then stumbled upon their neck pouch. Any of those should hold your phone.

tarditi
02-15-2017, 14:56
You can score a cheap surplus ammo pouch http://www.armynavysales.com/field-gear-pouches.aspx lots of sizes, colors, etc.

TwoSpirits
02-15-2017, 15:02
I have recently looked at the Zpacks pouch, but they say it measures 6", and I'm thinking I'd be having to almost force the phone in...stressing the seams, etc. They look great if not for that concern.

I do in fact have a number of military/molle compatible pouches, and love them. I've been hoping to find something lighter, but if all else fails I'll probably go with them.

JC13
02-15-2017, 15:07
Could have swore they were larger... The neck one is 5" x 7" weighs 1 oz. I considered trimming the cord and hanging it from my sternum strap.

hyperslug
02-15-2017, 15:17
Here is what I have tried. The ZPacks hip belt pockets on ULA Ohm and it did not attach well and was a pain. I would have had to do some sewing to make it work well. But the pocket size is big enough for a larger phone. I now use them on my ZPacks Arc Haul which has the proper attachments and it works fine. I have the Zimmerbuilt shoulder pockets but they barely fit my LG G4 and not at all using a LokSak. And the LG G4 is one of the smallest 5.5" screen phones on the market.

FiftyNine
02-15-2017, 15:18
I have the zpack hip pouch and my iPhone 7plus fits in it with no problem no stress. My backpack came with one and I liked it so much I ordered another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwoSpirits
02-15-2017, 15:20
Yes the neck pouch is much larger...I just don't think a neck pouch is for me.

TwoSpirits
02-15-2017, 15:23
Well I guess a Zpacks might be worth a try. Thanks all for the info!

DuneElliot
02-15-2017, 15:52
My S5 fits in the ZPacks hipbelt pouches with plenty of room to spare for snacks etc.

cutter
02-15-2017, 15:54
The ZPacks hip pouch fits my iPhone 6 Plus, but when I add an Anker waterproof case it's a tight fit -- almost too tight.

Pringles
02-15-2017, 21:20
I had seen Massdrop's GG pack, that had pouches on the belt, and thought that maybe I could get a belt with pouches directly from GG. I contacted them, and they didn't have any spare belts, and they weren't sure it would fit my pack. Maybe if more of us asked, they might start looking into making a "universal" pack belt with pouches, and stocking it.

jj dont play
02-15-2017, 23:51
I put mountain laurel design pockets on my granite gear crown for my thru. Super light at about 1oz each.

saltysack
02-16-2017, 08:55
I put mountain laurel design pockets on my granite gear crown for my thru. Super light at about 1oz each.

Love my MLD pack but hip pockets are very small...very doubtful that phone will fit as I'm in similar situation.....another reason to buy from a cottage company....Ron is making me a chest strap pouch for my BAP!

Quarter Keg
02-16-2017, 09:59
I use two MLD hip-belt pouches on my GG Blaze and they work great! Plenty of room for (most?) cell phone.

CalebJ
02-16-2017, 13:03
I'm honestly surprised the MLD pouches are big enough for a standard size (S7 or iPhone 7) phone. They're noticeably smaller than the ZPacks pouches.

saltysack
02-16-2017, 17:45
My 7+ in LP case isn't even close....they're definitely much smaller than my circuit or gorilla.....

lwhikerchris
02-16-2017, 18:25
Gossamer makes some nice hip belt pockets in various sizes and they're light.

TX Aggie
02-16-2017, 19:59
I recently purchased a Granite Gear pack that has no hip belt pouches. I'm finding it harder than I expected to find some pouches to add on. I really like having the hip pouches to keep things like my phone, gloves, DEET, or sunscreen, etc. The Granite Gear pouches don't quite fit the bill because they are just a tad too small.

I'm using my phone as the basis for the size I need: it's a Samsung Galaxy S7 with a Lifeproof case, so it measures almost exactly 6" long. I'm looking for a couple pouches that would fit the phone without wrestling it in and out.

Anyone have any recommendations for add-on hip belt pouches in that size range that would work with a Granite Gear hip belt?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

I'm not familiar with your GG pack and the waist belt, can you attach MOLLE style pouches?

I use an older 90L military pack (yes, I'm a sadist) that doesn't have waist pockets either. I found this pouch from BDS Tactical and I love it.
http://www.bdstacticalgear.com/cat-accessories.cfm

It easily holds my iPhone 6, flashlight, and a couple of protein bars. (Even two slots for magazines if you're so inclined). I don't know how it compares weight wise (I carry a 90L pack, duh!) so I can't compare it to lighter weight options.

The knife is for size comparison, full size Bench Made Griptillian.

Good luck with your search.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170216/a5d8b60709ffef46ad5eb5998a3e1122.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170216/5d12e9cdfa9796b6e49f867d42dcbf8c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170216/4181209339a5cd8d1bf657aad03a3bae.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170216/f1cda8ee5218094244b8f6ea887a73b3.jpg

Engine
02-16-2017, 20:04
Love my MLD pack but hip pockets are very small...very doubtful that phone will fit as I'm in similar situation.....another reason to buy from a cottage company....Ron is making me a chest strap pouch for my BAP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk This was the issue I had with the MLD pockets. I ended up replacing them with Zpacks pockets on the hip belt and I was able to attach the MLD pocket to the side of my Arc Haul above the bottle pocket without any alterations. It added a handy place for my headlamp and other items I don't need instant access to, but don't want buried in the pack.

Maui Rhino
02-17-2017, 06:47
I have an old Golite Pinnacle that had very small pockets. My DIY solution involved sewing on two small bits of webbing that hung down an inch below the waist belt. The webbing ended in a 1" common loop---a small square plastic loop. They were spaced to match the column spacing of a MOLLE pouch. I used Malice Clips from Tactical Tailor to attach a pouch to the loops. I can still use the original pocket on the hip belt, and hanging below, is a pouch large enough for my sunglasses, sunscreen, maps and a snack. If I choose to remove the pouch, the webbing loops are hardly noticeable. As you noted, MOLLE pouches usually aren't the lightest solution, but it works well enough for me that I don't mind the extra couple of ounces. If you shop around, you can find lighter pouches made of 330d or 500d cordura too.

JC13
02-17-2017, 08:58
Just weighed a molle compatible pouch I got with 200 rounds of ammo. 3.8 oz and my iPhone 6+ just barely fits in a minimalist case.

TwoSpirits
02-17-2017, 09:05
I like your DYI add-on...especially because it would give me a way to use up some stray malice clips laying around! I'm going to keep that in mind maybe for a winter day hike kit, but for now I've gone ahead and ordered the Zpacks pouches and hope those will work out.

Mac-Gear
02-17-2017, 14:41
I have recently looked at the Zpacks pouch, but they say it measures 6", and I'm thinking I'd be having to almost force the phone in...stressing the seams, etc. They look great if not for that concern.

I do in fact have a number of military/molle compatible pouches, and love them. I've been hoping to find something lighter, but if all else fails I'll probably go with them.
I have 2 of the zpack pouches on their Arc haul Zip pack and the pouches are more like 8 inches and a galaxy s7 and note 5 inside life proof cases fit just fine. If that helps. Zpacks pouches are top notch as well quiet waterproof in down pour.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

TwoSpirits
02-17-2017, 15:08
Great to hear that. I placed my order and now waiting by the mailbox.

Tolmann
02-17-2017, 15:39
You could also look at these: http://www.ribzwear.com/ I have the large, which is probably overkill. Much easier access than hip pouches.

KDogg
02-17-2017, 15:55
My iphone 6+ fit in the zpacks belt pouches just fine. The pouches did not last the entire trail though. Both zippers and one of the elastics failed. Only had one at the end and was using safety pins to keep it closed. Zpacks doesn't guarantee them so keep that in mind. They are really good about sending you replacement stuff on the trail though so if you need to replace them they will get you new ones quickly.

TwoSpirits
02-17-2017, 15:56
Cool. Customer service defines a business.

TwoSpirits
02-21-2017, 16:53
Well I ordered two of the Zpacks pouches and last week and they arrived today. They look great -- more than enough room to drop my phone in, as well as anything else I want to keep at-hand. Much larger and more substantial than I anticipated. Weight is exactly as stated on their website (.75 oz each.) I think I'm going to be very happy with this choice. Thanks all for your suggestions.

Now I just have to figure out how to put them on correctly....

SWODaddy
02-21-2017, 17:18
I had a set of Zimmerbuilt pouches made for my pack out of x-pac. I can barely squeeze my Moto X phone which happens to also measure exactly 6" in length inside for reference.

egilbe
02-21-2017, 18:49
You could also look at these: http://www.ribzwear.com/ I have the large, which is probably overkill. Much easier access than hip pouches.

My gf swears by 'em. It kinda goes with her trail name: Kanga

egilbe
02-21-2017, 18:50
My iphone 6+ fit in the zpacks belt pouches just fine. The pouches did not last the entire trail though. Both zippers and one of the elastics failed. Only had one at the end and was using safety pins to keep it closed. Zpacks doesn't guarantee them so keep that in mind. They are really good about sending you replacement stuff on the trail though so if you need to replace them they will get you new ones quickly.
i just had the zipper of one of mine fail this weekend. Kinda bummed it wasnt the one a mouse chewed a hole in.

DownEaster
03-22-2017, 17:51
I'm also looking for add-on hip pouches, mostly for trail snacks. The minimum required opening is 7-5/8" x 3-1/2" (size of a Lindt chocolate bar). Dark colors would not work, as I don't want my chocolate melting. Pouches need to carry horizontally against the hip belt, not vertically with ends protruding above/below (broken chocolate bits tend to drop on the trail rather than into my mouth). Zippers would get a lot of wear, so flimsy Zpacks are no good (plus I think they come in black, so also unacceptable for that reason).

Ideally these pouches would be beige (light to reflect the sun, but a little color to hide the dirt). Tan or desert camouflage would probably be OK.

I take my dark chocolate nutrition needs very seriously. Can anyone help? :-?