PDA

View Full Version : So it's been a long time dream and today I wokeup and said lets do it

eggs
02-15-2017, 15:00
So got laid off Jan 13 with a year severance so i'm ready. The wife is ready to get rid of me. So I planning on getting down to the start of the NOBO trail in a week or two.

Here is my idea. I guessing recharging a phone once a week is probably doable, Can someone confirm

If So I'm thinking of just ordering what I want in my next resupply from amazon and then have my friend ship it to wherever I'll be next. (would this work) Fresh stuff would be local

I'm fit just lost 48 pounds over the last 3 years. I've backpacked since 2007 so I have gear and i believe everything I need to do this.

Looking for a ride south if anyone is in the PHL area around first week in March

As I said this has been in my mind since I started hiking the AT in NJ and PA. I've done all of PA and most of NJ. But I realize this is no planning I just ordered White Blaze Pages and David Miller’s The AT Guide

JC13
02-15-2017, 15:04
Phone will depend on the phone and your usage. I ran 5 days on a charge on an iPhone 6+ with it in low power and airplane mode. Used it to video and take pictures along with an occasional text out of airplane. Also ran Guthook during the majority of the time. I got to Hiawassee with 50%+ battery and ran it down while there just to full charge it that night.

Gambit McCrae
02-15-2017, 15:08
Sounds like you have the experience and funds to just hit the trail and play it by ear really. Neel gap is 30 miles in, and a good place to regroup your gear etc. Phone: for 8 oz( an ankor battery pack), you can recharge your phone on the trail about 6 times. using it at much as you want. If you want to use your phone that much or not is irrelevant, only provided info because you are estimating battery usage.

Slo-go'en
02-15-2017, 16:22
Most hikers carry a USB charger pack to charge the phone if needed between finding electrical outlets. Depending on the phone and how you use it, you can go a week between charges. But a 4800 mah charger pack is pretty light and cheap so it's worth having just in case.

Finding a ride share to Springer probably isn't going to happen. Just get a train ticket to Gainesville or fly to Atlanta. There are a number of options to get the rest of way to Springer which will be listed in the AWOL book.

Mail drop are possible, but tend to be a pain to manage. Just start with 3-4 days of food and buy along the way. Ample opportunity to do that every 3 to 5 days.

Just be sure your ready for March weather, which can be cold and nasty at times. A number of powerful storms have hit the area recently and may continue. Getting around blowdowns might be an issue. You might want to carry a small saw and help clean up the mess as you go along.

bigcranky
02-15-2017, 16:31
My iPhone lasts for a couple of weeks on airplane mode, with the occasional photo, GPS reading, journal entry, etc. Yes, you can recharge every 5 days pretty easily.

We did mail drops a few times and they were a PITA for us. My preference now is to just hitch into town and go to the grocery store. Cheaper, faster, and easier. I think mail drops are really only necessary for folks with very specific dietary needs.

Sounds like you're all set, have a great hike.

ki0eh
02-15-2017, 16:36
So got laid off Jan 13 with a year severance so i'm ready. The wife is ready to get rid of me. So I planning on getting down to the start of the NOBO trail in a week or two.

Here is my idea. I guessing recharging a phone once a week is probably doable, Can someone confirm

If So I'm thinking of just ordering what I want in my next resupply from amazon and then have my friend ship it to wherever I'll be next. (would this work) Fresh stuff would be local

I'm fit just lost 48 pounds over the last 3 years. I've backpacked since 2007 so I have gear and i believe everything I need to do this.

Looking for a ride south if anyone is in the PHL area around first week in March

As I said this has been in my mind since I started hiking the AT in NJ and PA. I've done all of PA and most of NJ. But I realize this is no planning I just ordered White Blaze Pages and David Miller’s The AT Guide

I was wondering how you were doing as we passed the weekend we used to head out. Good luck, man! If you get bored with the A.T., you could veer left onto the GET at Pearisburg. ;)

eggs
02-15-2017, 16:40
Does Verizon service work pretty well. I actually would never have the phone on unless I was ordering something or just checking weather and checking in with family. I guess charging won't be an issue. Buying along the way sounds like a simple idea but I'm particular on which Ramyun noodles I eat :)

eggs
02-15-2017, 16:44
I was wondering how you were doing as we passed the weekend we used to head out. Good luck, man! If you get bored with the A.T., you could veer left onto the GET at Pearisburg. ;)

Hey Peter, it's been too long, maybe 5 years. Maybe I see when I pass through PA.

eggs
02-15-2017, 16:52
Oh how is the Canibus access along the way. Obviously most of the states are illegal states but that has not made a difference in anything in 50 + years. I need my bear medicine if I'm going to do this. Do the cops in some towns still hassle hikers or will I be ok.

BTW clearly I'm not asking for someone to sell me Canibus, cause that is illegal. But I assume if a person is looking it can be found.

lwhikerchris
02-15-2017, 21:08
If you put your phone on airplane mode and low power mode it will go a week between charges under normal photo and pdf guidebook use.

You really don't need to do a mail order resupply. You will be leaving more stuff in hiker boxes than you will take with you if you do that. And all those people who did mail resupplies will be trying to give stuff to you. There were times I did full resupplies from hiker boxes.

eggs
02-15-2017, 21:32
That's a good point lwhikerchris (https://whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php/59971-lwhikerchris)

jj dont play
02-15-2017, 23:49
Do it.
Get a power bank for the phone and leave it in airplane mode. You really don't have to even ship yourself food but it can be good for quality items. If I heard a upcoming resupply was lacking I called home with a list of what I wanted and where to send it.

At this point last year I just started thinking about doing the AT that year. Got on WB to see if it was foolish to try to plan so quick, got a lot of positive encouragement. By Mid March I committed and started buying gear, mid April I was on Spring, early August Katahdin. Had never even backpacked before.
You got experience and history with the trail, you got this! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk