PDA

View Full Version : Caldera keg

Drapac
02-15-2017, 15:04
For anyone that uses/has used a caldera keg, what do you normally use to cook in?

I just tried cooking ramen today, using half of the caddy. It seemed to work done for cooking, but i can see it being hard to clean in the field, with the threads and ridges in the container

capehiker
02-15-2017, 15:37
The primary use of the keg system is to boil water for freezer bag cooking.

Drapac
02-15-2017, 18:11
Thanks for your friendly, helpful reply....

Cheyou
02-15-2017, 18:42
I have a ultralight kit but that cook kit is to light for me.

Thom

Drapac
02-15-2017, 20:10
So does anyone here actually use the caldera keg

capehiker
02-15-2017, 20:15

I have it in rotation but haven't used it in a year because I started getting back into cooking in my pot. To be honest, I wasn't a fan of how long it was. It was awkward in my pack.

Deacon
02-15-2017, 21:03

I've used the same Caldera F Keg with Esbit for years. I absolutely love it. As said above, I only use it to heat water since I only freezer bag cook.

I use the protective plastic case that screws apart into two large cups. One holds my food in a ziploc, the other is my drink cup. When dinner is done, just pull out the ziploc and put in the trash bag. No cleanup.

I've tried various alcohol stoves and pots, but I come back to my cone. To each his/her own.

Drapac
02-16-2017, 00:38
I've used the same Caldera F Keg with Esbit for years. I absolutely love it. As said above, I only use it to heat water since I only freezer bag cook.

I use the protective plastic case that screws apart into two large cups. One holds my food in a ziploc, the other is my drink cup. When dinner is done, just pull out the ziploc and put in the trash bag. No cleanup.

I've tried various alcohol stoves and pots, but I come back to my cone. To each his/her own.

Thanks for the reply, going to have to try that tomorrow!

Colter
02-16-2017, 20:13

I do. If I'm cooking a Knorr's meal I put it in one half of the "caddy", pour in boiling water, stir everything, screw the other half on and cover it up with a balaclava or something to keep it hotter. When I'm done eating I scrape the cup/caddy as clean as I can. I don't worry about getting it perfect because the next time I use it it will be filled with boiling water.

I don't cook in the heating container.

tflaris
02-16-2017, 23:46

Yes.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170217/ffbf68f8d8b16426b710e44a6b2fea4a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk