PDA

View Full Version : Walmart to buy moosejaw

z96Cobra
02-15-2017, 23:25
Not sure if this will be good or bad....

http://news.walmart.com/2017/02/15/walmart-announces-the-acquisition-of-moosejaw-a-leading-online-outdoor-retailer

tickspit
02-16-2017, 03:59
It was a good company. Too bad.

saltysack
02-16-2017, 05:28
Adios Moosejaw...I hope BC.com isn't next.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

egilbe
02-16-2017, 06:40
Walmart sucks. Another company driven to ruin by Walmart's destruction of quality in their search for low prices.

ScareBear
02-16-2017, 07:34
I think I bought one thing from Moosejaw. They didn't seem to be very price competitive on the things I wanted, when I wanted them. But, I don't ever pay retail...just sayin...

Cheyou
02-16-2017, 07:35
Walmart sucks. Another company driven to ruin by Walmart's destruction of quality in their search for low prices.

I saw lots of complaints of MJ slow shipments. I'm afraid they beat their own path tf destruction.

Thom

Tuckahoe
02-16-2017, 09:30
Wal-Mart derangement syndrome in 3... 2... 1...

nsherry61
02-16-2017, 10:37
My biggest concern isn't about the loss of Moosejaw as we know it, so be it, there are other worthy vendors. My concern is about loss of competitors if Walmart does a competitive job with Moosejaw and/or the loss of suppliers/manufacturers, as we know them, because they are forced to modify their business practices to compete as Walmart suppliers, and thus either overextend themselves out of business or they drop their quality and customer service to meet demand.

If Walmart is smart, which, by and large they have shown they are, they will leave a lot of Moosejaw in tact as it is for a while, while adding support and direction to improve profits and reducing the cost of expensive business practices that we enjoy, like knowledgeable customer service and top-notch quality gear, and, over time, they will continue to cut corners to improve profitability and reduce our joy, as consumers, for the other things we value, other than the lowest price.

I don't do much business with Walmart now and I doubt I will every do much in the future. I just like my local businesses too much and am willing to always pay a few extra bucks to make sure they stay around to provide those choices and knowledge that mass merchants never ever will be able to do.

HooKooDooKu
02-16-2017, 10:38
I think I bought one thing from Moosejaw. They didn't seem to be very price competitive on the things I wanted, when I wanted them. But, I don't ever pay retail...just sayin...
That's the line of thinking I had as well... don't think I ever saw anything on Moosejaw I couldn't get for the same or better price at CampMor, REI, CampSaver, etc.

Bearleg
02-16-2017, 10:39

Remember, It was the consumer, us, who has driven Walmart to become the company they are. Those who are old enough should remember that Walmart in the early days sold a lot of American made items, and were the only department store in rural America, the American consumer wanted it cheaper, so they looked else where for the lowest cost and gave the consumer what they wanted. In business schools they call it the "Walmart Effect." There is a published book discussing the details of the evolution of Walmart by the same name.

If you want to protect the small cottage industries, buy from them. shop local. We as a community control their future by spending the all mighty dollar with them.

Deadeye
02-16-2017, 10:55
Remember, It was the consumer, us, who has driven Walmart to become the company they are. Those who are old enough should remember that Walmart in the early days sold a lot of American made items, and were the only department store in rural America, the American consumer wanted it cheaper, so they looked else where for the lowest cost and gave the consumer what they wanted. In business schools they call it the "Walmart Effect." There is a published book discussing the details of the evolution of Walmart by the same name.

If you want to protect the small cottage industries, buy from them. shop local. We as a community control their future by spending the all mighty dollar with them.

That. If you want to buy stuff made in America, or get good service, be prepared to pay more. There's a "blame WalMart" syndrome out there. I can walk into one of my local hardware stores and hear them complain about WalMart, Home Depot and the like, while totally ignoring me, or being rude when I do finally get their attention. "Buy Local" is not an excuse for local retailers to slack off.

Bearleg
02-16-2017, 11:18
I agree Deadeye, I buy local as much as possible, but good service is also part of the equation to get my $$$.

G-FOURce
02-16-2017, 12:17
That's the line of thinking I had as well... don't think I ever saw anything on Moosejaw I couldn't get for the same or better price at CampMor, REI, CampSaver, etc.

Ditto. I always shop around and, in my experience, Moosejaw just hasn't been competitive in a long, long time.

egilbe
02-16-2017, 16:06

I do buy local, or from Amazon if its not available locally. Darn tough, six moon designs, HMG, LLBean, EE, Seek Outside are just a few of the local merchants, or cottage manufacturers that I do business with. I avoid Wal-mart like the plague. I won't support their business practices from low wage paying jobs to forcing people to work holidays to outsourcing from China. I will, however, use their restrooms.

bamboo bob
02-16-2017, 16:11
That. If you want to buy stuff made in America, or get good service, be prepared to pay more. There's a "blame WalMart" syndrome out there. I can walk into one of my local hardware stores and hear them complain about WalMart, Home Depot and the like, while totally ignoring me, or being rude when I do finally get their attention. "Buy Local" is not an excuse for local retailers to slack off.

Agree. Some people just hate success. They hate Walmart, and Microsoft and the NE Patriots and the USA. All for the same reason.

RockDoc
02-16-2017, 16:29
Does anyone else remember Moosejaw's bathing suit catalog?? :D

Deadeye
02-16-2017, 16:50
.. I avoid Wal-mart like the plague. I won't support their business practices from low wage paying jobs to forcing people to work holidays to outsourcing from China. I will, however, use their restrooms.

Which will then be cleaned by said underpaid, overworked employees.

egilbe
02-16-2017, 18:57
Agree. Some people just hate success. They hate Walmart, and Microsoft and the NE Patriots and the USA. All for the same reason.

I lve the Pats. Your argument is invalid.

Mockernut
02-16-2017, 19:53
I have occasionally bought from MJ over the years but just when they had exactly what I needed at the best price.

I just bought two Marmot tents from them last week for car camping. Huge sale and free shipping that got the tents from Michigan to Georgia in 3 days. No bad experiences for me and hope they stay in business. Nice to have choices in life.

Traveler
02-17-2017, 08:12

Actually, I hate successful corporations that deliberately use the Taxpayer as part of their remuneration model. Walmart's success (along with other large corporations like McDonalds and Carls, Jr, etc) in large measure is based on very low wages which requires tax payer subsidies (to the tune of over $100 Billion a year) in the form of food stamps and health care and other programs for their employees. That is what I most object to and why I reserve my dollars for companies who do not have that business model.

Thats just my view on it and I sure don't blame people for going to Walmart for a lower price given how cheating in business is fairly commonplace, ask Belichick :)