PDA

View Full Version : Springer Mountain during Marchl 11-19

MarkWanhainen
02-15-2017, 23:35
Hey guys Im fairly new to hiking and want to know a little more about the springer mountian and the Appalachian trail in georgia. Im wondering what the usual temps are around march 11-19 I plan to hike around 30 miles. Ive got a 20 degree lower limit bag but im worried its not gonna be enough.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Mark Wanhainen

MuddyWaters
02-16-2017, 02:43
Hey guys Im fairly new to hiking and want to know a little more about the springer mountian and the Appalachian trail in georgia. Im wondering what the usual temps are around march 11-19 I plan to hike around 30 miles. Ive got a 20 degree lower limit bag but im worried its not gonna be enough.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Mark Wanhainen

On average about 30.
20s are common though
Teens occassionally
0-5 record temps

With clothes, you will be fine 95%+ of time
If sleep cold, 10-15 bag might be cozier.

glenlawson
02-19-2017, 11:31
this year, you'll probably be warm in that bag. But it could be cold, in the 20s just like muddy said. If you have an insulating pad, that helps, sleep with a fleece hat on and a buff around your neck. you could carry a fresh set of long underwear and socks for just in case.

check the 10 day forecast for Suches before you head out and that will let you know if you need the extra layer. I think you can handle any cold temps with what is between you and the bag, just have an insulated pad.

March is so variable. This year average temps are running 10 to 12 degrees above normal. Last night (Feb 18) low here in north Georgia was about 40 and it will get up to about 65-70. Long term forecast for the area don't show a lot of variation from this trend. Looks a little seasonal towards mid-March, lows around 25-30 highs around 50-55.

jjozgrunt
02-19-2017, 17:25
This is the weather forecast for Dahlonega in March, it's the closest point I could find to Springer. Due to the differences in height, it should be about 4-5 degrees colder up in the mountains. Take it all with a grain of salt as they are flat out predicting the weather 1 week in advance let alone a month. http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/dahlonega-ga/30533/march-weather/332436?monyr=3/1/2017

MarkWanhainen
02-20-2017, 11:59
Thanks so much y'all this was very helpful

hyperhiker
02-20-2017, 13:09
Get the AT weather app, it seems quite good. Plan your overnight stops at lower elevations if the temps get too low.