PDA

View Full Version : honey on the trail

mudsmeller
02-16-2017, 15:08
i see many hikers carry honey on the trail. anyone have advise on how to carry this w/o too much weight? i'm concerned it's gonna be a mess.

Feral Bill
02-16-2017, 15:13
Keep it in plastic wide mouth container. Surround with a ziplock bag. Don't bother in cold weather.

Patchy
02-16-2017, 16:18
Honey Stinger gel packs. I enjoy them while hiking, or trail running.

RockDoc
02-16-2017, 16:25
Careful about sourcing your honey... cheaper supermarket brands contain HFCS = toxic.

Not that natural honey is anything more than fructose, which mostly converts to fat in your liver.

The Kisco Kid
02-16-2017, 16:26
Honey packets. They're great for single servings. I usually bring along a bunch from Starbucks

Miner
02-16-2017, 16:55
I keep the honey in the container it came in as it's safer. I do put it in a Ziploc just in case though. So I look for the lightest, meaning smallest, container. So I normally buy the 8oz. plastic honey bear shaped bottle that has a flip cap.

Deadeye
02-16-2017, 18:35
Careful about sourcing your honey... cheaper supermarket brands contain HFCS = toxic.

Not that natural honey is anything more than fructose, which mostly converts to fat in your liver.

That does not compute. High Fructose Corn Syrup is fructose and glucose. If HFCS = toxic, and honey is fructose, why isn't honey toxic?

colorado_rob
02-16-2017, 19:13
That does not compute. High Fructose Corn Syrup is fructose and glucose. If HFCS = toxic, and honey is fructose, why isn't honey toxic?This is a common nutrition-Nazi dogma, the anti-fructose/glucose/lactose thing (including HFCS). Ridiculous. Folks buy into whatever is popular on the net.

Any sort of sugar, whatever floats your boat, it's pretty much all the same really to you body, is vital when hiking long days. The body digests and uses it, it doesn't get "processed by the liver into fat" like someone claimed. Just make sure to eat most of your sugars while hiking, same the fats and proteins for dinners. I also like plenty of fats/proteins in breakfast, so these calories "last longer". But while hiking, eat "sugar" (or soft carbs, whatever) to keep you blood, er, sugar up. I love honey, but can't get by the mess part, so I don't carry it on the trail.

PS: in our "real lives", of course, sugars should be avoided, except when training.

Traffic Jam
02-16-2017, 20:53
Highly recommend Y.S. Eco Bee Farm raw honey. It's solid at room temp not runny and messy and comes in a plastic, wide-mouth container. Best of all, it tastes amazing.

Hikes in Rain
02-16-2017, 20:55
I gave this a try. Much less messy, and tastes like honey. Mostly. Leaves little "speck of something in your coffee. I'd rather have real raw honey. https://www.amazon.com/Barry-Farm-Honey-Powder-oz/dp/B0001YYP10/ref=sr_1_17_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1487292321&sr=8-17&keywords=honey+powder

Luna Anderson
11-14-2017, 05:03
You should keep it in a plastic wide-mouth container and it's good to go on the trails. Honey is a superb way to boost your energy when hiking, just add a tablespoon of honey to 8oz of water for a energy drink.

jjozgrunt
11-14-2017, 06:26
We can get squeeze tubes of honey in OZ don't know if you have them, I know I never saw them whilst there. I used individual sachets.

DownEaster
11-14-2017, 09:10
We can get squeeze tubes of honey in OZ don't know if you have them, I know I never saw them whilst there.
I think it's a DIY thing here. Luckily, it's easy to buy a jar of honey in town and pour the contents into one of these:

Tipi Walter
11-14-2017, 09:57
Highly recommend Y.S. Eco Bee Farm raw honey. It's solid at room temp not runny and messy and comes in a plastic, wide-mouth container. Best of all, it tastes amazing.

Yes, exactly what I bring---YS Eco Bee Farm raw honey. I usually order it on Amazon. One plastic container is about 22 ounces---and the container can be discarded in various way during the trip.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpack-2015-Trips-161/20-Days-on-Medicare/i-jNDWJpK/0/499fb53d/XL/TRIP%20166%20305-XL.jpg
Here's a pic of my honey on a recent trip. I take alot of honey because it's used for all morning hot teas and replaces chocolate and snickers and junk sugary snacks when I get a sweet tooth going.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpack-2017-Trips-79/18-Days-in-the-Emerald-Thicket/i-G4fV7wB/0/2ee8361d/XL/Trip%20183%20%28247%29-XL.jpg
I also use this honey (16 ozs) which is available at my local grocery store---and also comes in a plastic jar (as does the peanut butter). And btw, honey is great too in the winter no matter the temps---it'll spoon out if you have a strong enough spoon.

AllDownhillFromHere
11-14-2017, 11:08
Get one of those "honey bears" - a useful refillable squeeze container. Don't steal packets from gas stations, that's hiker trash - the bad kind.

Tipi Walter
11-14-2017, 11:13
Honey Bear lids tend to come off or open inside a pack---one of the banes of carrying honey esp in the summer.

Slo-go'en
11-14-2017, 11:50
A friend of mine had a "honey bear" which had been chewed up by a bear !

Tipi Walter
11-14-2017, 11:57
I often think the best bear defense would be to toss him your honey jar right before an attack.

carouselambra
11-14-2017, 23:55
I use either Nature Nates honey packets (https://www.naturenates.com/product/nature-nates-honey-packets/) (I got mine at Wally World) or packets from ChickFilA

AllDownhillFromHere
11-15-2017, 10:20
Never had a honey bear "blow" on me. So much less waste this way. Buy a jar in town, refill it, give the leftovers to another hiker, recycle jar. Much better than buying or stealing little plastic packages of it, and throwing them away.

Which Way
11-15-2017, 10:56
Thanks for all your ideas. You are health conscious like my wife and me. People do not understand that just being vegan is not healthy, you could eat Oreo's and drink beer every meal and remain vegan. As for the OP. we bought some honey crystals by Fresh Essentials. It taste good, dissolves well, is not messy, but is mixed with cane sugar.

Which Way
11-15-2017, 10:58
Yes, exactly what I bring---YS Eco Bee Farm raw honey. I usually order it on Amazon. One plastic container is about 22 ounces---and the container can be discarded in various way during the trip.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpack-2015-Trips-161/20-Days-on-Medicare/i-jNDWJpK/0/499fb53d/XL/TRIP%20166%20305-XL.jpg
Here's a pic of my honey on a recent trip. I take alot of honey because it's used for all morning hot teas and replaces chocolate and snickers and junk sugary snacks when I get a sweet tooth going.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpack-2017-Trips-79/18-Days-in-the-Emerald-Thicket/i-G4fV7wB/0/2ee8361d/XL/Trip%20183%20%28247%29-XL.jpg
I also use this honey (16 ozs) which is available at my local grocery store---and also comes in a plastic jar (as does the peanut butter). And btw, honey is great too in the winter no matter the temps---it'll spoon out if you have a strong enough spoon.

Thanks for all your ideas. You are health conscious like my wife and me. People do not understand that just being vegan is not healthy, you could eat Oreo's and drink beer every meal and remain vegan. As for the OP. we bought some honey crystals by Fresh Essentials. It taste good, dissolves well, is not messy, but is mixed with cane sugar.

Puddlefish
11-15-2017, 10:59
I brought along a few Smucker's individual packs. Messy, watery and weak flavored. Would not recommend.

JJ505
11-16-2017, 20:31
You could check out honey crystals vs powdered honey. I think it's pure honey vs powder which has more sugar.

MtDoraDave
12-12-2017, 08:48
Honey packets. They're great for single servings. I usually bring along a bunch from Starbucks

Chic-fil-a also has honey packets. I grab two packets when I go there. I also grab two texas pete hot sauce packets when I go there.

DrL
12-12-2017, 09:41
Chic-fil-a also has honey packets. I grab two packets when I go there. I also grab two texas pete hot sauce packets when I go there.Those honey packets, most of them anyway, taste like garbage. Label says 100 percent, but my mouth says shenanigans.

Traffic Jam
12-12-2017, 09:51

I can also recommend Eco Bee Farms honey, it's delicious. At room temp, it's solid but soft. Warmer temps, it's softer with a liquid-like center but still spreadable and non-messy.

Fredt4
12-15-2017, 15:54
I've carried honey in the 8 oz honey jars (plastic) on the AT and the PCT and I've never had one open inadvertently on me. I aim for an oz a day. I grab the honey packages when they're available but Starbucks is kind of scarce on the trails.

mikec
12-15-2017, 19:06
Mr. & Ms. Bear are just waiting for you honey carriers out on the trail.

naysjp
03-21-2018, 23:57
There are honey stir that you can buy at Amazon or from health stores like Sprouts or Whole Foods(if I am correct). If you have a FoodSaver vacuum sealer, you can make your own honey stir with straws that are heat sealed at one end and then sealed at the other after squeezing honey into them. Perhaps store them in a toothbrush holder to keep them from breaking in your pack and small enough to slip in a slim pocket on your pack.

Dogwood
03-22-2018, 01:44
Honey supply can't meet worldwide demand. The US accounts for most of the global honey consumption. This makes for a US honey market ripe for greater profiteering through fraud particularly when honey is imported by or sourced through unscrupulous greedy foreign entities.

Fraud absolutely does exist when non honey additives are added to honey to increase volume and increase profits. Despite testing controls for noting some of these non honey additives some are known and used that pass the testing controls.

In short, honey can be diluted with other additives making the product the consumer thought he or she was receiving not truly honey. This is what I believe Rock Doc was getting at. Be careful about sourcing your honey. Venchka mentioned the same a short while back on a different thread.

This is one reason why US honey producers are being slowly pushed out of their own countries honey market. It's an unfair economic playing field brought on by deceptive unbridled greed and business practices.

Dogwood
03-22-2018, 02:12
..People do not understand that just being vegan is not healthy, you could eat Oreo's and drink beer every meal and remain vegan...

You have wrong information. Nabisco itself, the makers of Oreos, states Oreos are not Vegan. That is a fact. Some, I'd probably say most, beer is Vegan friendly but not all. That is my opinion though. Some beer isn't even vegetarian friendly. That is a fact.

Any diet can probably be amended to be healthier or unhealthier. That's my opinion. The idea that a Vegan lifestyle is automatically unhealthy is wrong. That us factual. Some professional medical and nutrionists opinions support Veganism can be a healthy dietary approach and lifestyle.

I am not even a Vegan saying this.

I don't even know why the door to these pts of view even have to be opened on this thread. I did not start this! Do not label me as some sort of food Nazi. This is simply incorrect information I am correcting. Research it yourselves before offering supposed food and dietary "truths."

Dogwood
03-22-2018, 02:12
..People do not understand that just being vegan is not healthy, you could eat Oreo's and drink beer every meal and remain vegan...

You have wrong information. Nabisco itself, the makers of Oreos, states Oreos are not Vegan. That is a fact. Some, I'd probably say most, beer is Vegan friendly but not all. That is my opinion though. Some beer isn't even vegetarian friendly. That is a fact.

Any diet can probably be amended to be healthier or unhealthier. That's my opinion. The idea that a Vegan lifestyle is automatically unhealthy is wrong. That us factual. Some professional medical and nutrionists opinions support Veganism can be a healthy dietary approach and lifestyle.

I am not even a Vegan saying this.

I don't even know why the door to these pts of view even have to be opened on this thread. I did not start this! Do not label me as some sort of food Nazi. This is simply incorrect information I am correcting. Research it yourselves before offering supposed food and dietary "truths."

Dogwood
03-22-2018, 03:04
I dont know why I'm double posting. It was unintended. Sorry.

I don't find it a hassle taking a small amount of 100 % organic raw avocado, white tupelo, or manuka honey on trail during cooler shoulder and winter season backpacking. I take it for its anti bacterial, anti fungal, richness in vitamins, minerals, and anti oxidants and it being lower on the glycemic index than natural sugar. All sugar or sweeteners are NOT the same. Still I try to pair small amounts of homey consumption with some kind of fiber with low sugar content food like oatmeal or a fiber rich no sugar minimally processed baked cookie or oat fiber or whole grain bar. Because the varieties I aim for are very low in pesticide content and high in those other things mentioned I'll apply it to skin for many dermatological benefits. I may even apply it to a rash or cut or as a skin mosturizer.

The avo honey is sourced from an organic farm in the Kona coffee belt surrounded by other organic farms on a property I'm involved producing organic produce and coffee. The white tupelo honey comes from organic farms in northern FL and MS where I know the owners. The high UMF 15 + manuka honey, so named because it only comes from the manuka flower of NZ, comes from, yes NZ.

I usually carry it I'm a thin glass or BPA free plastic jar with a screw cap lid in 4 oz amounts. Its stored in a Ziploc in the food bag. It's spooned out added to various teas and added into warmed bfasts. I only take honey when it's cool. I rather like the ease of dispensing when it's thick and also finding it less messy.

Dogwood
03-22-2018, 03:06
Those honey packets, most of them anyway, taste like garbage. Label says 100 percent, but my mouth says shenanigans.

Exactly. Your mouth is not betraying you.

Dogwood
03-22-2018, 03:18
It's hard to find "honey" crystals that aren't mixed with other ingredients. Powdered honey even when it's organic raw and 100% doesnt have the health benefits of the same non powdered 100% raw organic version. Where the benefits are in the decreased volume, wt, and potentially less/non messiness.

DrL
03-22-2018, 07:29
Exactly. Your mouth is not betraying you.If the packets would just be honest, then I would have less of an issue.

AllDownhillFromHere
03-22-2018, 08:13
If the packets would just be honest, then I would have less of an issue.

It's the universe telling you to stop stealing condiment packets.

DrL
03-22-2018, 09:06
It's the universe telling you to stop stealing condiment packets.

Ha. You've got a funny definition of "stealing".

BlackCloud
03-22-2018, 11:23
I always try to buy honey made from some mom & pop place. Even Target sells such honey. I've never heard anyone poo poo honey as unhealthy!

MtDoraDave
03-22-2018, 20:33
Stealing honey packets?
Out of curiosity, in your opinion, how many honey packets does a $7.00 value meal rate before it's considered stealing?

MtDoraDave
03-22-2018, 20:36
As to it not being real, 100% honey... That could explain why my tea tasted ...off. It was regular Lipton tea, but tasted terrible with a packet of honey in it (I usually like tea that way).

rocketsocks
03-22-2018, 21:59
Stealing honey packets?
Out of curiosity, in your opinion, how many honey packets does a $7.00 value meal rate before it's considered stealing?
30 days and a $1,000 fine

MtDoraDave
03-25-2018, 09:45
30 days and a $1,000 fine

Allow me to rephrase, because that's not what I asked.

I paid for value meal, took two honey packets to go. Would this be considered "stealing"?
I say no.
5 or 6? Borderline
A handful? Yes.

Taking even one honey, mayo, mustard, etc packet if I didn't purchase a meal from them, I would consider stealing.

Where would you draw the line between accepting a provided condiment and stealing?

I have an uncle who used to own several McDonald's restaurants, and he once mentioned the people who would "nickle and dime" him, cutting into his profit margin. In his case, it was elderly people who would take large stacks of napkins as well as creamer and sugar to take home with them.

Bearded_Shrek
03-25-2018, 22:18
Waterproof Straw Containers

https://youtu.be/n0TsiucWles

Dogwood
03-25-2018, 22:46
Allow me to rephrase, because that's not what I asked.

I paid for value meal, took two honey packets to go. Would this be considered "stealing"?
I say no.
5 or 6? Borderline
A handful? Yes.

Taking even one honey, mayo, mustard, etc packet if I didn't purchase a meal from them, I would consider stealing.

Where would you draw the line between accepting a provided condiment and stealing?

I have an uncle who used to own several McDonald's restaurants, and he once mentioned the people who would "nickle and dime" him, cutting into his profit margin. In his case, it was elderly people who would take large stacks of napkins as well as creamer and sugar to take home with them.

This question shouldn't have to be asked if we know to be and areconsiderate.

Easy. Don't assume. Ask. Nearly everytime I've asked it displays consideraton and almost always they say " sure, no problem if you take a few packets." If they say no that's OK too. Ethics haven't been abridged. Conscious is clear.

Odd Man Out
03-26-2018, 20:01
Waterproof Straw Containers

https://youtu.be/n0TsiucWles

If you don't want to DIY, all honey sellers at the farm markets I've been to sell their local honey packaged in straws.

Gabigabs
03-27-2018, 22:51
I don't use a super large amount of honey on the trail but I like to carry several small packets to add to my tea or to snack on. They are very convenient unless you are thinking of using a large quantity.