PDA

View Full Version : Heading to the Whites this weekend?

Slo-go'en
02-16-2017, 17:42
If your heading to the White Mt of NH this weekend, bring your snowshoes! We got about 3 feet of new snow over the last few days and there are some impressive drifts. The early arrivals will be breaking trail through deep snow, which will get deeper and deeper as you get higher. Have fun!

This is the Valley way trail head this afternoon. Unfortunately, after 100 yards I found one of my snowshoes had a broken strap which binds the foot box to the base. Couldn't go far with that. My other shoes are somewhere under a snow drift next to my front door...

egilbe
02-16-2017, 18:55
Looks to be about three feet deeper than the last time I went up there. Would be a good weekend to go camping with temps forecast in the 40's.

Feral Bill
02-16-2017, 19:36
I'd avoid anything like steep open slopes.

Slo-go'en
02-16-2017, 20:23
I'd avoid anything like steep open slopes.

The avalanche danger in Tucks will be very high this weekend and we're short a snow ranger this season to help keep people safe due to the Federal hiring freeze. There's a lot of wind packed powder on top of icy shear layers. I bet we'll be reading about some rescues in the local paper after this weekend. Along with all the usual snowmobile accidents.

rafe
02-16-2017, 20:47
Matter of fact I almost certainly am, and of course I will have and expect to be using the snowshoes. Just haven't decided on which hill or trail yet. I think I p-o'ed Julie on the last go-round on that subject.

peakbagger
02-17-2017, 07:51
I noticed that Andover Maine has about 79" of snow on the ground. I expect it would be pretty major effort to climb Speck, the Baldpates Hall Moody Blue and Bemis until the snow pack consolidates. Even with snow shoes trying to climb up a steep slope is exercise in futility