PDA

View Full Version : Ultralight gear for 2017

backtrack213
02-17-2017, 14:59
https://lighterpack.com/r/91zsbx

Thought I would share my gear list for people to check out and comment on for this years hiking soon approaching. Happy hiking everyone!

Sandy of PA
02-17-2017, 16:05
Have you actually slept outdoors on the 1/8 inch sleeping pad? I have yet to meet anyone using just that on the AT in 6 years of Long sections. It has almost zero R value, and almost zero cushioning, you must be a real tough guy!

Mac-Gear
02-17-2017, 16:08
Have you actually slept outdoors on the 1/8 inch sleeping pad? I have yet to meet anyone using just that on the AT in 6 years of Long sections. It has almost zero R value, and almost zero cushioning, you must be a real tough guy!
Copy that those damn shelter bunks are rediculous so much so that well all ill say is we sleep elevated on the A/T

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

fastfoxengineering
02-18-2017, 06:13
Nice list. I agree with others though. If you can do the small pad go for it. I for one, am not, John Zahorian.

You have one of his packs and your gear list is oddly remarkably similar to his.

Is he your Yoda or something?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

fastfoxengineering
02-18-2017, 06:22
Furthermore I didn't see any water bottles or spare layers or maybe I'm blind.

But this says your gear list for the AT and LT.

Please elaborate on your plans because it looks like your packing too light for anything but the warmest month.

And yeah, no water bottles? Plastic jar and duct tape defy gravity too?

I'm just bustin your chops, but your gear list is incomplete and not an accurate representation of your pack weight... And it's cool to have a really low base weight. But it's gotta be accurate and detailed if your gonna run with that crowd.

Seriously though, did you get one of John's packs in the past few weeks? They always sell out instantly

Engine
02-18-2017, 07:20
... And it's cool to have a really low base weight....

Up to a point...The difference between an 8 pound base weight and a 12 pound base weight is hardly noticeable on your back, but it can have a huge difference in comfort, utility, and happiness during the hike.

Cheyou
02-18-2017, 07:30
Up to a point...The difference between an 8 pound base weight and a 12 pound base weight is hardly noticeable on your back, but it can have a huge difference in comfort, utility, and happiness during the hike.

Not it sure I agree with that . His frameless, belt less pack is much more comfortable with much less. The list is incomplete I hope ;0)

thom

Engine
02-18-2017, 07:56
Not it sure I agree with that . His frameless, belt less pack is much more comfortable with much less. The list is incomplete I hope ;0)

thom Certainly, given his current pack choice, he is limited greatly. But my statement was aimed at overall gear choices, including the pack. So with a 3/4 pound increase in pack weight, he would be able to comfortably carry over 3 additional pounds of gear. Looking at his current list, it's not realistic for 99% of LDHers...maybe he's in the 1 percent.

I also realize I'm looking at things through eyes contained in a 51 year old body which does NOT like to sleep on a thin pad or shiver through a day of cold rain. But, I weighed my pack yesterday in preparation for next weeks AT thru-hike start. With winter gear, 4 days of food, and 1 liter of water, it came in at a very acceptable 24.6 pounds. That works out to a base weight of 14.6 which will come down to around 11 once we send the winter gear home...

During prep day hikes of up to 18 miles I routinely forget I'm wearing my pack, but I sure appreciate the extra creature comforts I gain for only a couple extra pounds of gear. I'm not faulting the OP for his gear choices, I'm only pointing out that he's walking the razors edge of weight when it comes to enjoyable hiking for most of us.

Cheyou
02-18-2017, 08:30
I use a frameless pack and 18lbs total pack weight is my comfort limit. I can do more but I have to do more strap dancing ;0) . Could not go with his pad ,quilt choice (38°) . My list would add, down vest, rain skirt,windpants,fleece,extra socks,xtherm short,20° quilt,one trekking pole. I like my umbrella better then rain jacket . No cook for the AT I think would b hard for me .

Thom

yes I like comfort

colorado_rob
02-18-2017, 11:05
Assuming the OP has the skills to use this UL gear, I'm excited to see someone take UL hiking seriously. I';m also excited about that pack, I was unfamiliar with it, it looks pretty cool.

Furthering what Engine said, once you get below a threshold, a pound or 3 makes no difference with comfort, but the only thing is, I'm not sure where that threshold is for a completely frameless pack with no hip belt. For my beloved OHM 2.0 (1lb-10 oz), that threshold is about 18-20 pounds of total weight (incl water, food, etc). I barely notice my full pack at 20 pounds, so when it's 15 total vs. 20, I don't care.

For a completely frameless/beltless pack, maybe that's more like 16-ish pounds total? I'm going to experiment a bit myself, having recently bought a ~10 ounce frameless pack (zpacks arc zero)

Anyway, about the actual kit, of course there are items missing, like water carrying vessels, any extra clothing items (I carry 1 extra pair of socks, that's pretty much it).

I share the concern about a 1/8" pad, I find 3/8" reasonably useable, but I cannot sleep on 1/8", but I'm old.

For my hexamid, I carry 8 stakes, because that is the minimum number I've found for a good tight pitch. (four corners, front, back, 2 additional higher tie outs).

My main comment is on the 2.08 pounds of tech stuff; I do understand the desire to carry a separate good camera, but doing so might preclude the need for having so much charging power on your iPhone; can you reduce the weight of that external battery? I fail to see the need for that much charging power, a 6 ounce, 10K mah anker might save you some weight.

Regarding that camera for the AT: Have you compared image quality of your iPhone with the G15? For the kind of pics taken along a not-super-scenic hike like the AT, IMHO, the iPhone would serve you well enough. I do personally carry a dedicated camera for lots of long trails, but not for the AT (which we're heading to soon for a repeat for me, 1st time for wife).

And what's with that heavy multitool? Used for what? save an ounce+ with a 0.7 swiss army knife.

Those are my humble comments, again, congrats on striving for being UL.

capehiker
02-18-2017, 11:35
It's a John Z knock off list for sure. Incomplete gear list - (0 ounces for a plastic jar?!?!). Not trying to ruin the OP's chill but this is a gear list that looks great on a spreadsheet.

StubbleJumper
02-18-2017, 11:44
A few comments:

1) I've actually thru'ed the LT with a 3/8" WalMart pad with the goal of going lightweight and cheap. It worked okay, but I didn't repeat that experience on future hikes. I have come to prefer a real pad, whether it's inflatable or the Z-rest closed cell pad.

2) I don't see a source of fire. It's not a major amount of weight, but conventional safe-hiking wisdom is that you should at least throw in a Mini-Bic or a few waterproof matches.

3) I didn't see a first aid kit or any meds. Conventional wisdom is that you should at least bring some Vitamin-I, possibly some immodium tablets, and possibly some bandaids.

4) I didn't see any water treatment. I'm a guy who prefers to drink untreated water, but there's a limit. Some sources are clearly higher risk than others, and you might want to consider some sort of water treatment option to manage the risk of the most dubious water sources.

5) I don't see any spare clothing. So that means no spare socks, no insulation, no beanie, no dry set of sleeping clothes. You might consider investing some ounces in clothing, as it can become both a comfort and a safety issue.

6) I didn't see a toilet kit. Some people don't mind wiping their arse with leaves, but my preference is to carry a half-roll of TP and some hand sanitizer. You are an adult, so I'll leave it to your own judgement....

7) I don't see a water barrier for your pack. Maybe it's 100% waterproof already, but if not, then you might consider a pack cover, a pack liner, a dry bag for your quilt, or at least a few Ziplocs to keep your sensitive gear dry.

fastfoxengineering
02-18-2017, 13:48
Haven't heard back from the OP so....

If he returns, I should clarify.

We are not trying to bash you or be negative.

We are concerned for your well being without further explanation/information.

I'm in the same boat as other people. It's not always worth it to me to bring nice camera equipment. I understand the appeal, but alot of the time having camera gear takes away from my experience. Heavy, bulk, I feel obligated to use it, more things to take care of. No I don't end up with good photos, certainly not professional, but my phone takes acceptable photos for my purposes.

If I was out there and my goal was to document the hike.. yea, better camera

On the AT.... I'd rather chill and live in the moment and take photos with. Smart phone when the time arises.

Personally, I find a written journal, pen and paper or electronically much more sentimental than photos. With a few photos here and there.

Engine
02-18-2017, 13:52
Haven't heard back from the OP so....

If he returns, I should clarify.

We are not trying to bash you or be negative.

We are concerned for your well being without further explanation/information.

I'm in the same boat as other people. It's not always worth it to me to bring nice camera equipment. I understand the appeal, but alot of the time having camera gear takes away from my experience. Heavy, bulk, I feel obligated to use it, more things to take care of. No I don't end up with good photos, certainly not professional, but my phone takes acceptable photos for my purposes.

If I was out there and my goal was to document the hike.. yea, better camera

On the AT.... I'd rather chill and live in the moment and take photos with. Smart phone when the time arises.

Personally, I find a written journal, pen and paper or electronically much more sentimental than photos. With a few photos here and there.

The Diaro app is very user friendly and allows photos to be attached to the daily entries. If your carrying a smartphone, it's a great zero weight option for keeping a trail journal.

yaduck9
02-18-2017, 13:53

Thought I would share my gear list for people to check out and comment on for this years hiking soon approaching. Happy hiking everyone!

I applaud your laser like focus, and why re invent the wheel when you can see how others have done it i.e. JupitorHikes, ( similar to coming to white blaze )

I would at least read up on Ray Jardine . I say that because he stated ( preached ) that with minimal equipment one has to use his noggin more ( hike high, sleep low , etc. )

You might add a Trumpline ( NO, Not that trump ) http://www.patagonia.com/blog/2011/08/on-tumplines/
For when you want to pack the extra wt of a sleeping pad or even food ( avoid going to a heavier pack )

Have fun, try to come back in one piece.

Deadeye
02-18-2017, 13:59
There's a spoon, but nothing from which to spoon stuff... no pot or cup - are you going no-cook? No water bottles or water treatment, not even spare sock... seems like there's a few things that might make their way into the pack before you hit the trail.

Wolf - 23000
02-19-2017, 07:27
Why is it that every lightweight backpack needs to post his/her gear before even stepping foot on the trail? It the same thing every year. Someone post a light weight gear list and then watch how many hikers freeze their butts off down in Georgia. It happens every year.

If you are new to backpacking, yes it can be nice to backpack lightweight. It is also better not to be freezing your butt off. This looks like a summer hiking gear list, not something most hikers should start off carrying.

Wolf

Engine
02-19-2017, 07:44
There's a spoon, but nothing from which to spoon stuff... no pot or cup - are you going no-cook? No water bottles or water treatment, not even spare sock... seems like there's a few things that might make their way into the pack before you hit the trail. I assume the OP plans to use the empty jar for this purpose. Dinner is put in the empty jar and covered with water to re-hydrate while hiking and then eaten from the jar.

cmoulder
02-20-2017, 08:15
Great advice so far.

Only thing I can add is to go out and do some actual 3-4 day hikes with your kit in a variety of weather (cold-n-wet will expose any shortcomings) to make sure you're got enough stuff. Tweak as necessary, come back with a complete list and try again.

garlic08
02-20-2017, 08:52
I think this is the type of minimal pack list that fuels the "FSO" (from skin out) debate. What is the OP planning on wearing and carrying in pockets? This is the first time I realized the value of FSO.

Not everyone needs clothes to sleep in (I don't), or a half roll of TP (six squares per day is my luxury), or meds that never get used. I was in my twenties before I even knew about the existence of "sleeping pads." I looked for soft places to sleep before that revelation, easy to do in deciduous forests like much of the AT. Many nights on my AT hike, the pad was in the way.

Has nobody bashed the lack of stove yet? Going stoveless is what finally got me comfortably under the frameless pack threshold, but it took me thousands of miles to get there.

Echoing others above, I hope this OP treads carefully into this realm.

cmoulder
02-20-2017, 11:51
LOL, well this reminds me of XUL (</=3lb base) where people use cargo pockets on pants etc to stuff things just to claim a stupid-light base.

FSO indeed. :o

-Rush-
02-21-2017, 02:31

Nice day pack!

ImAfraidOfBears
02-21-2017, 09:39
I sense trouble here.

If you had enough experience to ensure this would be a good loadout, you wouldn't be asking about how it looks in a forum.

This is a gear list that requires a lot of experience of what works and what doesn't and a good knowledge of conditions on trail.

Maybe I'm completely wrong and you are very experienced and just showing how light your pack is, in which case:

I'm impressed, i think.

colorado_rob
02-21-2017, 10:05
One of two possibilities here: The OP is a scam, posted to create just this kind of "you're going to die" responses, OR, it is just a starting list of UL gear, not the complete kit. I assumed the latter his/her starting UL kit, with all the other little stuff just not listed.

But since the OP hasn't responded, perhaps this is just another ridiculous troll post to being out these standard Gear Police responses.

4eyedbuzzard
02-21-2017, 10:47
One of two possibilities here: The OP is a scam, posted to create just this kind of "you're going to die" responses, OR, it is just a starting list of UL gear, not the complete kit. I assumed the latter his/her starting UL kit, with all the other little stuff just not listed.

But since the OP hasn't responded, perhaps this is just another ridiculous troll post to being out these standard Gear Police responses.OP has prior posts. Has indicated he is end to end on the LT this summer
I plan on NOBO late June but I enjoy hiking all day and putting in big miles. I will probably see you out there but I don't know for how long since I do 20+ miles a day usually.OP is using the MLD FKT quilt but doesn't list any additional upper body (jacket and hat) insulation layers necessary to get the temp rating of the system below 55°. Even in summer, overnight temps on the LT can get in the 40°'s. I don't honestly get the allure of the MLD FKT quilt which has to be used with additional upper insulation to get below its 55° stand alone rating. Seems pointless to me. For the same weight, 17 oz, you could carry a full WM sleeping bag with a true 35° temperature rating. As to a 1/8" sleep pad, well, it's more like a really thick ground cloth, and he already is carrying a poly one. Why bother? Just sleep on leaf litter at that point. Seems more silly light than true UL for a given purpose.

Hikingjim
02-21-2017, 10:50
Quilt temp details:
Most fast moving users experiencing night temps between 38f/3c and 60f/16c will be comfortable in this quilt by using standard lightweight camping techniques.
35-45 Degrees: Add a well insulated jacket, hiking and/or rain pants, insulated balaclava, dry sleep socks, gloves, etc. - In general you will be wearing all clothing carried in these lower temps.
45-55 Degrees: Light clothing, socks and a head buff.
55+ Degrees: No extra clothing needed.

+ a 1/8" sleeping pad?

Not a very temp-flexible kit, unless I'm missing something!

ImAfraidOfBears
02-21-2017, 11:13
2 months ago he was asking how to rehydrate rice and beans on these forums, now hes got a 6 lb base weight with most of it being camera gear. someone throw this man a lifeline.

colorado_rob
02-21-2017, 11:31
2 months ago he was asking how to rehydrate rice and beans on these forums, now hes got a 6 lb base weight with most of it being camera gear. someone throw this man a lifeline.Perfect example of what I was talking about, the "you're going to die" police.

He's talking about a summer kit: He has a full tent w/ ground sheet, a decent (though uncomfortable to some because of 1/8" pad) sleeping bag, a true UL pack (because he can, because he has other UL gear and ultimately a very light pack), obviously going stoveless (are some calling this "dangerous" somehow?). He has a rain jacket. Quite obviously he's missing a few small items, like some sort of water carrying device, and a few items of other personal gear & clothing that he will be bringing, I'm sure. Again, very good start to a complete UL kit, only missing a few light items and some light clothing.

Hikingjim
02-21-2017, 11:44
Perfect example of what I was talking about, the "you're going to die" police.

haha, good point. I guess that happens more when the OP doesn't specify where and when they're going in their first post. "Are you going to the whites this weekend with that? You're going to die!"

If he's doing a summer LT, then you're right, that's a good start. I did 10 days in the summer on the LT as a younger man with a 1/8" blue mat and a very light fleece liner instead of a sleeping bag. Froze my ass off a few times, and yet here I stand (not dead yet)

AlpineKevin
02-22-2017, 00:33
2 months ago he was asking how to rehydrate rice and beans on these forums, now hes got a 6 lb base weight with most of it being camera gear. someone throw this man a lifeline.

Yeah and I think his 12MP iPhone6 takes better pictures than that heavy 12MP Canon camera. At least I know the iPhone7 is better than that camera. I'm pretty sure a Google Pixel, iPhone7, and Galaxay S7 all take pictures just as good or better than any non-DSLR camera.

Engine
02-22-2017, 05:39
Yeah and I think his 12MP iPhone6 takes better pictures than that heavy 12MP Canon camera. At least I know the iPhone7 is better than that camera. I'm pretty sure a Google Pixel, iPhone7, and Galaxay S7 all take pictures just as good or better than any non-DSLR camera. Agreed...I was thinking his 2 pounds of camera gear made little sense. Heck, my Droid takes better photos than some of the early generation DSLRs.

backtrack213
02-22-2017, 13:11
I don't have a scale to accurately weigh those objects yet and i realized after posting i have a couple things i missed calculating the weight like the jar and water bottles and such ill be adding weights of that stuff soon. Also i got lucky and went on the website and they were available. If the weather gets cold I'm confident in my layers to keep me warm i will only be on trail july and august so I don't expect to hit too low of temperatures.

Furthermore I didn't see any water bottles or spare layers or maybe I'm blind.

But this says your gear list for the AT and LT.

Please elaborate on your plans because it looks like your packing too light for anything but the warmest month.

And yeah, no water bottles? Plastic jar and duct tape defy gravity too?

I'm just bustin your chops, but your gear list is incomplete and not an accurate representation of your pack weight... And it's cool to have a really low base weight. But it's gotta be accurate and detailed if your gonna run with that crowd.

Seriously though, did you get one of John's packs in the past few weeks? They always sell out instantly

backtrack213
02-22-2017, 13:27
The camera i enjoy using and having the ability to lay with exposure and other things i feel i can't do with my phone. I reduced the weight of my external battery from a much heavier one i was using last year that was unneccesary and the multitool is just what i have didn't think about getting a new one honestly. My sleeping pad I can basically sleep on anything I have other options if I decide this isn't in my comfort range but its cheap and light so I thought I would give it a shot. Thanks for the input I love hearing what others have to say

backtrack213
02-22-2017, 13:29
I am using this gear in the summer from late june to mid august when I have time off of work I don't think I will need a lot of layers or extra clothes to carry.

Kalaallit
02-22-2017, 15:22
I'd take a look at the Appalachian Ultralight No Nonsense 45L. Bigger than the Simple Pack, and weighs less at 11oz.

Deadeye
02-22-2017, 15:42
Yeah and I think his 12MP iPhone6 takes better pictures than that heavy 12MP Canon camera. At least I know the iPhone7 is better than that camera. I'm pretty sure a Google Pixel, iPhone7, and Galaxay S7 all take pictures just as good or better than any non-DSLR camera.

But if you take a Galaxy S7, you're going to die! Or at least burn something down.

fastfoxengineering
02-22-2017, 15:50
I don't have a scale to accurately weigh those objects yet and i realized after posting i have a couple things i missed calculating the weight like the jar and water bottles and such ill be adding weights of that stuff soon. Also i got lucky and went on the website and they were available. If the weather gets cold I'm confident in my layers to keep me warm i will only be on trail july and august so I don't expect to hit too low of temperatures.
Even then.. a lightweight fleece adds a lot of comfort for little weight. It can get chilly even in summer. Your pack weight is so low it's not a big deal adding a half pound to it. Up to you. I never hike without some sort of "midlayer" but that's just me. It could also double as a dry shirt for camp.. it rains alot on the AT/LT

CalebJ
02-22-2017, 16:47
Have you tested the battery life on that flashlight? Just a hunch, but I doubt it's more than a couple of hours at medium brightness based on reviews and the capacity of a AAA battery.

4eyedbuzzard
02-22-2017, 17:46
Planning on hiking the long trail in July. Will a 50 degree sleeping quilt be good enough at night?

I took a 40F quilt for a July E2E hike. It was enough most nights, but I also had my light down parka, and light wool long john bottoms and long sleeved top that I wore every night. There were several nights that got into the 40s and I was chilly even with all that. If I did it again I'd take something a few degrees warmer.

There were a couple of nights toward the end of the hike (late July) when I would have LOVED to have a 20F quilt. I took a 40F Jacks R Better, and it's a great quilt, but we had some chilly nights.

My hunch: No margin for unusually cool and wet weather.

I've hiked E2E twice, in August, and I wouldn't do it without rain pants... I didn't have rain mitts the first time and really wanted them. My hands were often cold on cool, rainy days ...Also, some type of camp shoe, even just a croc or flip flop, is such a relief when you have had your feet in wet shoes all day.

My theme here, be prepared for wet everything...

... If the weather gets cold I'm confident in my layers to keep me warm i will only be on trail july and august so I don't expect to hit too low of temperatures.

I am using this gear in the summer from late june to mid august when I have time off of work I don't think I will need a lot of layers or extra clothes to carry.

Being brutally honest here - don't take it as a personal attack, but rather as advice.

Your gear list is more suitable for July in New Jersey than New England.

If you had experience in northern New England you would FLAT OUT KNOW that a 50° sleep system won't keep you warm enough at night even in July. You would not even be asking. In your prior thread (referenced above) asking if a 50° quilt is enough, everyone who replied told you that you need to be prepared for low 40° temps AT A MINIMUM. Your additional insulative clothing is IN ADDITION to this. Because even in July, it can get downright cold at higher elevation in the northern mountains.

And you should pray that you get those really cold nights, because it means a high pressure system is over New England, meaning cooler and DRY days - and not 50° with wind blown rain.

Add to your gear a pair of long pants (both for warmth and protection from brush and bugs), a wool or synthetic mid weight upper insulation layer, a beanie hat, and a rain hat.

Carrying 2 to 3 more pounds that you may only use 25 to 50% of the time will not make or break your hike. But being cold and especially cold AND wet will absolutely, positively, suck 100% of the time.

cmoulder
02-22-2017, 18:32
A cold, wet bail-out is worth 10,000 words. ;)

East Coast hills are underestimated on a regular basis. Most miserable night I ever spent outdoors was in Shining Rock Wilderness in Aug 1981. Summer... yeah, right. I guess we all need some hard lessons when we're young.

backtrack213
02-23-2017, 01:45
I have a fleece i can send to myself if i see needed was planning on using my rain jacket as an insulator I tend to be a warmer person in general

Even then.. a lightweight fleece adds a lot of comfort for little weight. It can get chilly even in summer. Your pack weight is so low it's not a big deal adding a half pound to it. Up to you. I never hike without some sort of "midlayer" but that's just me. It could also double as a dry shirt for camp.. it rains alot on the AT/LT

backtrack213
02-23-2017, 01:52
Thinking about sending myself rain pants depending on how conditions are when I'm out there and what I'm willing to tolerate with bugs and such that is and the quilt was a thought I ended up going with a different quilt that can be used down to 35 degrees if used with insulating layers. I know some nights might be a little uncomfortably cold but I was just out using this gear in 30-40 degree nights without any issues besides slight chills here and there.

Being brutally honest here - don't take it as a personal attack, but rather as advice.

Your gear list is more suitable for July in New Jersey than New England.

If you had experience in northern New England you would FLAT OUT KNOW that a 50° sleep system won't keep you warm enough at night even in July. You would not even be asking. In your prior thread (referenced above) asking if a 50° quilt is enough, everyone who replied told you that you need to be prepared for low 40° temps AT A MINIMUM. Your additional insulative clothing is IN ADDITION to this. Because even in July, it can get downright cold at higher elevation in the northern mountains.

And you should pray that you get those really cold nights, because it means a high pressure system is over New England, meaning cooler and DRY days - and not 50° with wind blown rain.

Add to your gear a pair of long pants (both for warmth and protection from brush and bugs), a wool or synthetic mid weight upper insulation layer, a beanie hat, and a rain hat.

Carrying 2 to 3 more pounds that you may only use 25 to 50% of the time will not make or break your hike. But being cold and especially cold AND wet will absolutely, positively, suck 100% of the time.

backtrack213
02-23-2017, 01:56
I will most likely carry a backup battery incase it was to run out but if its used on its low setting which is what i will mainly use gets about 4 hours of runtime I don't normally in the summer do too much night hiking