PDA

View Full Version : September hike

trobichau
02-17-2017, 21:09
I'm wondering if very many people hike the Appalachian in September. I want to do just the Georgia section but I don't want to be out there alone. I don't see many posts about anyone going in September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

map man
02-18-2017, 09:39
September is a great time of year to hike just about anywhere on the AT. Usually not too hot, usually not too cold, usually not too rainy. It's a popular trail, and Georgia is a particularly popular section, so you will see people -- especially on weekends.

glenlawson
02-18-2017, 10:48
You will have company in September on the Georgia section. If you wait until the last 2 weeks, typically the temperatures have broken and it is fairly dry. Anytime someone posts about hiking in late summer, I suggest they wait until September.

There won't be crowds, but you won't be alone either. Good luck in your planning.

Praha4
02-18-2017, 11:21
September is probably my favorite month of the year to hike the AT or LT.

north GA shouldn't be too crowded in September, except for day hikers, some local section hikers and weekenders. Most of the SoBo thru hikers won't get to north GA til Nov-Dec, some early ones in October....

HooKooDooKu
02-18-2017, 13:15
September is a great time of year to hike just about anywhere on the AT. Usually not too hot, usually not too cold, usually not too rainy. It's a popular trail, and Georgia is a particularly popular section, so you will see people -- especially on weekends.
{Insert Thumbs Up Button Here}

Rain Man
02-18-2017, 15:17
I agree with the prior posts. September is a great month to be on the AT, anywhere. I'm on it every year in September. Last couple of years in Maine, where I'll be the first two weeks of this year, too, to finish it off. :)