PDA

View Full Version : Long Term Parking at Amicalola Falls SP...

Engine
02-18-2017, 13:30
We're going to be parking our car in the long term lot at Amicalola Falls SP next Sunday morning and I am debating whether or not to use the car cover, or just just throw a sun screen in the window. In the past I've always left the glove box open and empty with the car interior clearly visible so no one wonders what valuables may be hidden from sight. But, we've never left a vehicle at the trail head for this long and I'm wondering what opinions are on the subject.

1 week to go! :banana

PS - FYI for other hikers, the park employee I spoke with advised me the fee for long term parking is now $55, which is certainly higher than it used to be, but still a bargain for 6 months.

swisscross
02-18-2017, 14:10
Good tips here...
https://www.edmunds.com/car-care/how-to-prep-your-car-for-long-term-storage.html

Sarcasm the elf
02-18-2017, 14:31
My only major advice is to park at Amicalola and not in the FS42 lot and it sounds like you've already got that covered.

Slo-go'en
02-18-2017, 16:30
If your gonna leave your car parked there for 6 months, I'd recommend having a pair of jumper cables and a tire pump compressor in the trunk. That will save you from having to get a service truck up there. And hope your brake rotors aren't too rusted up. In any event, your probably gonna need a new set all around when you get back. Check for mouse nests in the air filter and chewed up wires. Bring 5 gallons of fresh gas up there with you too.

Engine
02-18-2017, 16:40
If your gonna leave your car parked there for 6 months, I'd recommend having a pair of jumper cables and a tire pump compressor in the trunk. That will save you from having to get a service truck up there. And hope your brake rotors aren't too rusted up. In any event, your probably gonna need a new set all around when you get back. Check for mouse nests in the air filter and chewed up wires. Bring 5 gallons of fresh gas up there with you too.

All valid issues, but I've got them pretty well covered.

12v tire pump, jumper cables, and disconnect the battery before leaving, already acquired and planned. Ethanol free fuel will be topped off at the Pure station in Dahlonega with Stabil added the day before. Mothballs left under the hood, so no mice...There's not much I can do about the brake rotors, but it would otherwise be parked in my driveway for 6 months, the same issue might arise there as well since no one is at home.

soumodeler
02-18-2017, 20:48
Security wise you should be fine at the park. Have never heard of an issue there.

The $55 long term price has been that way for years now.

i would add the stabil when you get gas in Dahlonega. The 30 min drive to the park will be plenty to get in the fuel lines and injectors.