PDA

View Full Version : CT 2017 Gear List

TyCx
02-18-2017, 16:46
Hello, I've started making my gear list with all the things I already own. Base weight is at over 28 lbs so I definitely need some help. Can anyone give this a look and give me some tips?

https://lighterpack.com/r/czjboq

Slo-go'en
02-18-2017, 18:23
I went out to the CT last September with a 20 pound base and only lasted a 100 miles. You really feel that weight at 10,000 - 9,000 feet. That experience convinced me I'd have to spend a ton of money for really UL gear if I was ever to have a chance of doing the CT. I had done 700 miles of the AT a few months earlier and did a lot of serious day hikes in NH before heading to Colorado, so it wasn't like I was in poor shape either.

Your big 4 - pack, tent, pad and bag are the main problem. I'd go to the Zpack web site and drop some major cash. If your serious about this hike, the cost can't be an issue.

Slo-go'en
02-18-2017, 18:25
Oh, although the bear canister will give you some peace of mind, it probably isn't needed for the CT and that would save you 2 pounds right there.

DuneElliot
02-18-2017, 18:32
Lose the bear spray and canister...not needed on the CT

Forget the extra batteries...replace if you need to in town.

Lose the extra clothes. Have one set for hiking in, and one set for sleeping in, plus a base layer

Forget 90% of the stuff for entertainment...put books on your phone, take notes on your phone.

Just my .02 worth

Lose the pack cover and line your pack with a trash compactor bag

You are probably going to need a warmer bag than a 35* bag at high altitudes in CO...I've seen it get below freezing many times in July and August over night

Any chance you can buy a new tent? You could lose 4lbs just by investing in a SMD Lunar Solo or a Tarptent brand solo tent

TyCx
02-18-2017, 18:46
Lose the bear spray and canister...not needed on the CT

Forget the extra batteries...replace if you need to in town.

Lose the extra clothes. Have one set for hiking in, and one set for sleeping in, plus a base layer

Forget 90% of the stuff for entertainment...put books on your phone, take notes on your phone.

Just my .02 worth

Lose the pack cover and line your pack with a trash compactor bag

You are probably going to need a warmer bag than a 35* bag at high altitudes in CO...I've seen it get below freezing many times in July and August over night

Any chance you can buy a new tent? You could lose 4lbs just by investing in a SMD Lunar Solo or a Tarptent brand solo tent

From your suggestions I dropped the bear supplies. Bears are always a concern for me but I have seen a few people say they aren't really an issue so I'm just going to get rid of them. Dropped the batteries, books, and notes. My main concern with the extra clothes was making sure to have an extra set to wear when I'm in town cleaning my other set.

The sleeping bag is rated at 35 but I've used it at least 10 times this winter in sub 20 degrees with my base layer on and I slept fine.

Also I just decided to ship my camelbak bladder back and get a Platypus one that saves me like $15 and 5 oz.

Thank you for looking at my list, you just put me below 24 lbs so it's a start.

TyCx
02-18-2017, 18:50
I went out to the CT last September with a 20 pound base and only lasted a 100 miles. You really feel that weight at 10,000 - 9,000 feet. That experience convinced me I'd have to spend a ton of money for really UL gear if I was ever to have a chance of doing the CT. I had done 700 miles of the AT a few months earlier and did a lot of serious day hikes in NH before heading to Colorado, so it wasn't like I was in poor shape either.

Your big 4 - pack, tent, pad and bag are the main problem. I'd go to the Zpack web site and drop some major cash. If your serious about this hike, the cost can't be an issue.

Wow, I had always thought that Zpacks were just way too expensive so I never gave it a look but the Arc Blast is over 3.5 lbs lighter than my pack and only like $75 more. If I can find a way to sell my pack and not lose a bunch on it, I'll probably go with that.

colorado_rob
02-18-2017, 19:06
Thank you for looking at my list, you just put me below 24 lbs so it's a start. good start. One minor nit: 8 ounces of your 13+ ounce canister is considered a consumable (fuel), hence not part of your base weight tally, not that it really matters, but just sayin'.

TyCx
02-18-2017, 19:11
good start. One minor nit: 8 ounces of your 13+ ounce canister is considered a consumable (fuel), hence not part of your base weight tally, not that it really matters, but just sayin'.

Thank you. I've been looking at other people's lists where they are down to like 10 lbs base and that seemed impossible to me. Guess I wasn't sure if fuel was to be included in that measurement.

Maineiac64
02-18-2017, 19:28
Wow, I had always thought that Zpacks were just way too expensive so I never gave it a look but the Arc Blast is over 3.5 lbs lighter than my pack and only like $75 more. If I can find a way to sell my pack and not lose a bunch on it, I'll probably go with that.

Think about this, you can go from a 5lb pack in what you have now to 6lbs for pack (blast or haul), pad (xlite), tent (duplex), and 20 degree quilt (enlightened equipment) and about $1400.

TyCx
02-18-2017, 19:41
Think about this, you can go from a 5lb pack in what you have now to 6lbs for pack (blast or haul), pad (xlite), tent (duplex), and 20 degree quilt (enlightened equipment) and about $1400.

I think I'm going to try to sell the bag, sleeping pad, and sleeping bag and replace it with your suggestions. That'll only cost me about $400 after selling my current supplies. I'm probably just going to deal with the weight of the tent. The duplex just seems far too expensive. This should bring my base weigh down to 16 lbs which I think is pretty manageable.

Thanks again.

sethd513
02-18-2017, 19:48
Also ULA is well priced and bomb proof imo. Ula pack, EE quilt and you could look into an etowah tarp. That tarp with steaks and lines can come out around 17 oz for under 100$. Could always throw in a sea to summit bug net for a few more oz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heatherfeather
02-18-2017, 19:58
Here is a $125 shelter solution. I assume you're solo?
https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/collections/tents/products/skyscape-scout

TyCx
02-18-2017, 20:07
Here is a $125 shelter solution. I assume you're solo?
https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/collections/tents/products/skyscape-scout

My last tent was a solo and I didn't like it. I find it worth the extra weight to have more space to move around. I am in there for 1/3 of the trip after all. Thanks for the suggestion though.

heatherfeather
02-18-2017, 20:11
My last tent was a solo and I didn't like it. I find it worth the extra weight to have more space to move around. I am in there for 1/3 of the trip after all. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Understood! Check out tatptent. They have a wide assortment of reasonably priced tents. A lot of their 1p tents are actually big enough to fit two in a pinch, so are quite roomy for one. Particularly the rainbow and pro trail.
https://www.tarptent.com

TyCx
02-18-2017, 20:16
Understood! Check out tatptent. They have a wide assortment of reasonably priced tents. A lot of their 1p tents are actually big enough to fit two in a pinch, so are quite roomy for one. Particularly the rainbow and pro trail.
https://www.tarptent.com

I was actually just looking at the double rainbow. REI is letting me return my Half Dome 2 so I will probably go with the single rainbow since it does look a bit roomier than most 1p tents. Do you know if it's worth the $18 for carbon fiber poles?

heatherfeather
02-18-2017, 20:19
I was actually just looking at the double rainbow. REI is letting me return my Half Dome 2 so I will probably go with the single rainbow since it does look a bit roomier than most 1p tents. Do you know if it's worth the $18 for carbon fiber poles?

I would personally skip carbon fiber. If you have a failure in the wild, aluminum is a lot easier to repair/stabilize. I have the double rainbow and I love it! I highly recommend the clip in liner, it helps a lot with temperature regulation and moisture management.

saltysack
02-18-2017, 22:14

Check out solong6 lots of room under 2lbs

Miles 2 Go
02-18-2017, 22:28
I think the Zpacks Arc Haul Gridstop is 24oz not the 76oz you have listed, that is a 3.25lb. in weight savings. You could go lighter on the sleeping pad with a Neoair Xlite regular at 12oz that is close to a pound in weight savings. The tarp tent rainbow I've owned/used and liked it. I only switched to a Solplex tent was for weight savings and have been very happy with that too. Maybe look into a 900ml Toaks titanium mug and ditch the RioRand cook kit for about 5oz savings. You may want to carry less clothing, by not doubling up so much except for socks. So I think with the typo on your pack weight and what I suggested I think your base weight would be more like 13 -14lbs.

Miles 2 Go
02-18-2017, 22:46
TyCx, I just post my Colorado thur hike gear list, I hope it is some help to you.

TyCx
02-19-2017, 16:11
I think the Zpacks Arc Haul Gridstop is 24oz not the 76oz you have listed, that is a 3.25lb. in weight savings. You could go lighter on the sleeping pad with a Neoair Xlite regular at 12oz that is close to a pound in weight savings. The tarp tent rainbow I've owned/used and liked it. I only switched to a Solplex tent was for weight savings and have been very happy with that too. Maybe look into a 900ml Toaks titanium mug and ditch the RioRand cook kit for about 5oz savings. You may want to carry less clothing, by not doubling up so much except for socks. So I think with the typo on your pack weight and what I suggested I think your base weight would be more like 13 -14lbs.

I'm in the middle of updating my list with the stuff I plan on buying. The 76oz was the weight of my current pack, I plan to buy an Arc Haul. I changed it.

ImAfraidOfBears
02-19-2017, 19:03
i dont see any toiletries on your list, might want to account for that weight as well

unless you are wiping with rocks and brush and forgoing tooth care

grateful 2
02-19-2017, 19:11
Yes, yes to this!

Check out solong6 lots of room under 2lbs

Yes, yes to this!

DuneElliot
02-20-2017, 09:50
I'm in the middle of updating my list with the stuff I plan on buying. The 76oz was the weight of my current pack, I plan to buy an Arc Haul. I changed it.

While changing your pack is a step in the right direction, without downsizing your other stuff too, like the tent, your base weight is going to be too much for the Haul to be comfortable. You need to get BW down to no more than around 15lbs to allow for another 10-15lbs of water and food etc